Choosing a Venue
A major consideration when planning an event is the venue. There are a number of possible venues across campus, as well as many other venues in Newcastle and across the region.
Before looking at potential venues, it may be useful to consider the following issues:
- where your delegates will be travelling from
- how they are likely to be travel to the event
- the event profile; it may be important to impress your delegates
- the background and expectations of the delegates
- budget allowed for room hire
- the size of event
- number of rooms will you need
- audio visual equipment
- other facilities will you need
- any special access needs might your attendees may have
There are a variety of rooms available across campus. Advice on suitable areas for your event can be obtained from staff in the University Conference Office and Research Beehive.
For venues outside of the University NewcastleGateshead Convention Bureau can offer a free venue finder and booking service.
Once you have decided upon a venue:
- check suitability by arranging to visit and discuss requirements
- check what equipment comes as standard
- ensure that you check through any booking contracts and are familiar with relevant terms and conditions.
Your venue should meet certain basic accessibility criteria. Find out how to ensure your venue is accessible to all.