Dr Iain Macleod
Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer
- Telephone: +44 (0 ) 191 208 8450
Dr Iain Macleod was appointed Consultant/ Hon. Clin. Sen. Lecturer in dental & maxillofacial radiology at the Dental Hospital & School in 2003.
Prior to coming to Newcastle he worked for 10 years as a consultant in oral medicine & radiology at the Edinburgh Dental Institute.
Iain trained in oral medicine & radiology in Newcastle and Glasgow before his appointment in Edinburgh. His current interests are in medical history, law, forensic odontology and medical education.
Outside of work he enjoys hill walking, trek biking and food!
BDS(Hons), PhD, FDSRCSEd, FRCR, DDRRCR, FHEA, FSAScot
Membership of Professional Societies;
Royal College of Surgeons in Edinburgh
British Dental Association
Society of Antiquaries of Scotland
Higher Education Academy
British Society for denal & maxillofacial radiology
European society for dental & maxillofacial radiology
International society for dental & maxillofacial radiolgy
British society for oral medicine
European Society for oral medicine
Northern Centre for the history of medicine
Iain has a long standing interest in the history of medicine and archaeology and has been involved in several projects involving the dental examination of Egyptian mummies and in forensic facial reconstruction.
Currently his interested involve the use of imaging in the assessment of Sjogren's Syndrome and other causes of xerostomia.
Iain has been involved in the teaching of oral pathology, medicine and radiology since 1984. He is currently responsible for the teaching of radiology for the BDS programme and is also involved in the training of all DCP groups within the school and hospital.
He is also extensively involved in radiology training for GDP/Community and hospital dentistry around the UK. in addition, he frequently gets invited to speak to various medical and public organisations.
Since 1994 he has been involved in various examinations run by the Royal College of Surgeons in Edinburgh both at home and abroad.
Iain is training programme director in dental and maxillofacial radiology for the Northern Deanary. He is also involved in teaching for the Northern School of Radiology.
He is a member of teaching staff for the Unit of distance learning, King's College London Dental Institute, Guy's Campus.
- Bell GW, Joshi BB, Macleod RI. Maxillary sinus disease: diagnosis and treatment. British Dental Journal 2011, 210(3), 113-118.
- Macleod I, Heath N. Cone-beam computed tomography (CBCT) in dental practice. Dental Update 2008, 35(9), 590-598.
- Heath N, Macleod I, Chippindale A, Greenwood M, Ripley C. Severe necrotizing fasciitis complicating odontogenic infection: a case report. Dental Update 2008, 35(5), 353-355.
- Heath N, Macleod I, Pearce R. Major salivary gland agenesis in a young child: Consequences for oral health. International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry 2006, 16(6), 431-434.
- Carr AJ, Ng WF, Figueiredo F, Macleod RI, Greenwood M, Staines K. Sjogren's syndrome - an update for dental practitioners. British Dental Journal 2012, 213(7), 353-357.
- Obinata K, Shirai S, Ito H, Nakamura M, Carrozzo M, MacLeod I, Carr A, Yamazaki Y, Tei K. Image findings of bisphosphonate related osteonecrosis of jaws comparing with osteoradionecrosis. Dentomaxillofacial Radiology 2017, 46(5), 20160281.
- Carr A, Macleod RI. Summary of: Salivary stones: symptoms, aetiology, biochemical composition and treatment COMMENTARY. British Dental Journal 2014, 217(11), 636-637.
- Nordmark G, Wang C, Vasaitis L, Eriksson P, Theander E, Kvarnström M, Forsblad-d'Elia H, Jazebi H, Sjöwall C, Reksten TR, Brun JG, Jonsson MV, Johnsen SJ, Wahren-Herlenius M, Omdal R, Jonsson R, Bowman S, Ng WF, Eloranta ML, Syvänen AC, UK Primary Sjögren's Syndrome Registry, Carr A, Corbett I, Carrozzo M, Lendrem D, Macleod I, Mawson P, Stocks P. Association of genes in the NF-κB pathway with antibody-positive primary Sjögren's syndrome. Scandinavian Journal of Immunology 2013, 78(5), 447-454.