Professor Mark Greenwood
Consultant in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Address: Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
School of Dental Sciences
Newcastle upon Tyne
Consultant/Honorary Clinical Professor of Medical Education in Dentistry with responsibility for the undergraduate course in Human Diseases.
Clinical Head of Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery since 2005. Clinical Lead for Oral and Maxillofacial Sciences since 2009.
Trained in dentistry in Manchester and medicine in Leeds. Training posts in oral and maxillofacial surgery, general surgery, general medicine, vascular surgery, accident and emergency, trauma and orthopaedics.
Higher surgical training on the Northern Rotation.
Roles and Responsibilities
NHS Consultant in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. Consultant in Administrative Charge, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and Dental Emergency Clinics.
Honorary Clinical Professor of Medical Education in Dentistry with specific responsibility for the undergraduate Human Diseases Course.
BDS,MDS(Manchester), FDSRCS(England), MB,ChB(Leeds), PhD(Newcastle upon Tyne), FRCS(England), FRCS(OMFS), FHEA
Lecturer/ Registrar in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Manchester Royal Infirmary and University of Manchester, 1990-1993.
Senior Clinical Lecturer in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Newcastle University, 2003-2008.
British Dental Association
British Medical Association
British Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons (Fellow)
Honours and Awards
DDU Teacher of the Year, 2006
National Teaching Fellowship(Individual Award) 2008, Higher Education Academy
Educational interface of dentistry and medicine.
Further publications relating to medicine in dentistry.
Publications relating to oral cancer risk factors.
Community based projects relating to medicine and its implications for general dental practice.
Invited speaker to national and international conferences.
European Union funded project investigating risk factors in oral cancer (ARCAGE)-c.£70 000 (jointly)
Cancer Research(UK) Case Finding in Oral Cancer -c.£70 000 (jointly)
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Human Diseases(BDS)and undergraduate medical students. Formerly External Examiner in Human Diseases at the universities of London and Bristol. External Examiner in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Manchester, Eastman Dental Institute (post-graduate). Years 3 and 4 External Examiner Dublin University and Sheffield University (Human Disease).
Regional and national involvement in the MFDS/MJDF Diplomas. Part C Examiner for MFDS and MJDF at the Royal College of Surgeons of England.
Educational supervisor for Vocational Trainees and resident SHOs in OMFS
- Alhamdani F, Durham J, Greenwood M, Corbett I. Diplopia and ocular motility in orbital blow-out fractures: 10-year retrospective study. Journal of Cranio-Maxillofacial Surgery 2015, 43(7), 1010-1016.
- Greenwood M, Meechan JG. General medicine and surgery for dental practitioners: part 1. History taking and examination of the clothed patient. British Dental Journal 2014, 216(11), 629-632.
- Greenwood M, Meechan JG. General medicine and surgery for dental practitioners: part 2. Medical emergencies in dental practice: the drug box, equipment and basic principles of management. British Dental Journal 2014, 216(11), 633-637.
- Greenwood M, Meechan JG, Stroud C. General medicine and surgery for dental practitioners: part 5. Immunological disease and dental practice. British Dental Journal 2014, 217(3), 129-132.
- Meechan JG, Greenwood M, Moore UJ, Thomson PJ, Brook IM. Minor Oral Surgery in Dental Practice. Quintessence Pub Co, 2014. In Press.
- Greenwood M, Beattie A, Green R, Durham J. Aspects of training in clinical medical sciences in dentistry (human disease): recent graduates’ perspectives from a UK dental school. European Journal of Dental Education 2013, 17(2), 114-121.
- Carr AJ, Ng WF, Figueiredo F, Macleod RI, Greenwood M, Staines K. Sjogren's syndrome - an update for dental practitioners. British Dental Journal 2012, 213(7), 353-357.
- Mighell AJ, Atkin PA, Webster K, Thomas SJ, McCreary CE, Healy CM, Gibson J, Crighton AJ, Dawson LJ, Smalley JO, Allan RB, Oliver RJ, Pattrick MG, Pemberton MN, Theaker ED, Poate TW, Buchanan JAG, Greenwood M, Bee D, Yates JM, Crean SJ, Napier SS. Clinical medical sciences for undergraduate dental students in the United Kingdom and Ireland - a curriculum. European Journal of Dental Education 2011, 15(3), 179-188.
- Greenwood M. Medical emergencies in the dental practice. Periodontology 2000 2008, 46(1), 27-41.
- Greenwood M, Seymour RA. Human diseases - The Newcastle experience. British Dental Journal 2007, 203(10), 595-598.
- Greenwood M, Corbett IP. Observations on the exploration and external neurolysis of injured inferior alveolar nerves. International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 2005, 34(3), 252-256.
- Clark S, Greenwood M, Banks R, Parker P. Fracture of the radial donor site after composite free flap harvest: a ten-year review. The Surgeon 2004, 2(5), 281-286.
- Clark S, Greenwood M, Banks RJ, Parker P. Fracture of the radial donor site after composite free flap harvest: a ten-year review. The Surgeon 2004, 2(5), 281-286.
- Greenwood M, Meechan JG. A Clinical Guide to General Medicine and Surgery for Dental Practitioners. London, UK: BDJ Books, 2003.
- Greenwood M, Thomson PJ, Lowry RJ, Steen IN. Oral cancer: Material deprivation, unemployment and risk factor behaviour - An initial study. International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 2003, 32(1), 74-77.