Dr Max Robinson
Senior Lecturer in Oral Pathology
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 8391
- Address: School of Dental Sciences
Newcastle upon Tyne
I received my dental degree from Newcastle University in 1991. After a period of general professional training I attained a Fellowship in Dental Surgery from the Royal College of Surgeons of England in 1994, following which I completed the Master of Science in Experimental Oral Pathology at the London Hospital Medical College in 1995. I then took up a Bristol University Postgraduate Scholarship leading to the award of PhD in 1999. I was subsequently appointed Lecturer in Oral Pathology in Bristol and commenced my Higher Specialist Training in Oral Pathology in 2000. Following my accreditation in Oral Pathology, I took up the position of Senior Lecturer in Oral Pathology in the School of Dental Sciences in 2006.
2005 FRCPath (Royal College of Pathologists)
1999 PhD (University of Bristol)
1995 MSc (University of London)
1994 FDSRCS (Royal College of Surgeons of England)
1991 BDS (University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne)
British Association for Cancer Research
British Association of Head and Neck Oncology
British Society for Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology
European Association for Cancer Research
Pathological Society of Great Britain and Ireland
Royal College of Pathologists
Royal College of Surgeons of England
Roles and Responsibilities
Honorary Consultant Pathologist, Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
My research interests are focused on the pathogenesis of head and neck cancer. The aim of my work is to identify novel biomarkers that can be used for the early detection of oral cancer. I am also involved in research examining the role of oncogenic human papillomavirus in oro-pharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma.
My clinical activities are undertaken in the Department of Cellular Pathology (Newcastle-upon-Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust), where I am part of a team of pathologists providing a specialist head and neck pathology service. My clinical work mainly involves generating reports for surgical biopsy material. The specimens range from diagnostic biopsies to major resection specimens; the majority of cases are generated by Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons and ENT Surgeons. I am a core member of the Head and Neck Multidisciplinary Team for the treatment of cancer. I also provide assessment of cases referred for specialist opinion.
I take part in the teaching and assessment of undergraduate dental students. I provide a variety of lectures on aspects of human and oral disease. I am currently course leader for Oral Diseases.
I provide postgraduate lectures for dental practitioners and pathologists.
- Yao A, Bates TJ, Pearson J, Robinson M, Ward C, Powell J. Laryngeal candidiasis: our experience from sixty biopsy specimens. Clinical Otolaryngology 2017, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Mehanna H, McConkey CC, Rahman JK, Wong W-L, Smith AF, Nutting C, Hartley AGJ, Hall P, Hulme C, Patel DK, Von Zeidler SV, Robinson M, Sanghera B, Fresco L, Dunn JA. PET-NECK: A multicentre randomised Phase III non-inferiority trial comparing a positron emission tomography-computerised tomography-guided watch-and-wait policy with planned neck dissection in the management of locally advanced (N2/N3) nodal metastases in patients with squamous cell head and neck cancer. Health Technology Assessment 2017, 21(17), 1-122.
- Paleri V, Fox H, Coward S, Ragbir M, Mcqueen A, Ahmed O, Meikle D, Saleh D, O'Hara J, Robinson M. Transoral robotic surgery for residual and recurrent oropharyngeal cancers: Exploratory study of surgical innovation using the IDEAL framework for early-phase surgical studies. Head and Neck 2017, Epub ahead of print.
- Bates T, Kennedy M, Diajil A, Goodson M, Thomson P, Doran E, Farrimond H, Thavaraj S, Sloan P, Kist R, Robinson M. Changes in Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor Gene Copy Number during Oral Carcinogenesis. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention 2016, 25(6), 927-935.
- Anantharaman D, Muller DC, Lagiou P, Ahrens W, Holcátová I, Merletti F, Kjærheim K, Polesel J, Simonato L, Canova C, Castellsague X, Macfarlane TV, Znaor A, Thomson P, Robinson M, Conway DI, Healy CM, Tjønneland A, Westin U, Ekström J, Chang-Claude J, Kaaks R, Overvad K, Drogan D, Hallmans G, Laurell G, Bueno-de-Mesquita HB, Peeters PH, Agudo A, Larrañaga N, Travis RC, Palli D, Barricarte A, Trichopoulou A, George S, Trichopoulos D, Quirós JR, Grioni S, Sacerdote C, Navarro C, Sánchez MJ, Tumino R, Severi G, Boutron-Ruault MC, Clavel-Chapelon F, Panico S, Weiderpass E, Lund E, Gram IT, Riboli E, Pawlita M, Waterboer T, Kreimer AR, Johansson M, Brennan P. Combined effects of smoking and HPV16 in oropharyngeal cancer. International Journal of Epidemiology 2016, (ePub ahead of Print), 1-10.
- Lesseur C, Diergaarde B, Olshan AF, Wunsch V, Ness AR, Liu G, Lacko M, Eluf-Neto J, Franceschi S, Lagiou P, Macfarlane GJ, Richiardi L, Boccia S, Polesel J, Kjaerheim K, Zaridze D, Johanson M, Menezes AM, Curado MP, Robinson M, Ahrens W, Canova C, Znaor A, Castellsague X, Conway DI, Holcatova I, Mates D, Vidensky M, Healy CM, Szeszenia-Dbrowska N, Fabianova E, Lissowska J, Grandis JR, Weissler MC, Tajara EH, Nunes FD, de Carvalho MB, Thomas S, Hung RJ, Peters WHM, Herrero R, Cadoni G, Bueno-De-Mesquita HB, Steffen A, Agudo A, Shangina O, Xiao XJ, Gaborieau V, Chabrier A, Anantharaman D, Boffetta P, Amos CI, Mckay JD, Brennan P. Genome-wide association analyses identify new susceptibility loci for oral cavity and pharyngeal cancer. Nature Genetics 2016, 48(12), 1544-1550.
- Mehanna H, Franklin N, Compton N, Robinson M, Powell N, Biswas-Baldwin N, Paleri V, Hartley A, Fresco L, Al-Booz H, Junor E, El-Hariry I, Roberts S, Harrington K, Ang KK, Dunn J, Woodman C. Geographic variation in human papillomavirus-related oropharyngeal cancer: Data from 4 multinational randomized trials. Head & Neck 2016, 38(S1), E1863-E1869.
- Yap LF, Lai SL, Patmanathan SN, Gokulan R, Robinson CM, White JB, Chai SJ, Rajadurai P, Prepageran N, Liew YT, Lopes V, Wei WB, Hollows RJ, Murray PG, Lambert DW, Hunter KD, Paterson IC. HOPX functions as a tumour suppressor in head and neck cancer. Scientific Reports 2016, 6, 38758.
- Schache AG, Powell NG, Cuschieri KS, Robinson M, Leary S, Mehanna H, Rapozo D, Long A, Cubie H, Junor E, Monaghan H, Harrington KJ, Nutting CM, Schick U, Lau AS, Upile N, Sheard J, Brougham K, West CML, Oguejiofor K, Thomas S, Ness AR, Pring M, Thomas GJ, King EV, McCance DJ, James JA, Moran M, Sloan P, Shaw RJ, Evans M, Jones TM. HPV-Related Oropharynx Cancer in the United Kingdom: An Evolution in the Understanding of Disease Etiology. Cancer Research 2016, 76(22), 6598-6606.
- Shaw R, Christensen A, Java K, Maddani R, Liloglou T, Asterios T, vonBuchwald C, Wessel I, Kiss K, Kjaer A, Lelkaitis G, Long A, Risk J, Robinson M. Intraoperative sentinel lymph node evaluation: implications of cytokeratin 19 expression for the adoption of OSNA in oral squamous cell carcinoma. Annals of Surgical Oncology 2016, (ePub ahead of Print), 1-7.
- Haughey BH, Sinha P, Kallogjeri D, Goldberg RL, Lewis JS, Piccirillo JF, Jackson RS, Moore EJ, Brandwein-Gensler M, Magnuson SJ, Carroll WR, Jones TM, Wilkie MD, Lau A, Upile NS, Sheard J, Lancaster J, Tandon S, Robinson M, Husband D, Ganly I, Shah JP, Brizel DM, O'Sullivan B, Ridge JA, Lydiatt WM. Pathology-based staging for HPV-positive squamous carcinoma of the oropharynx. Oral Oncology 2016, 62, 11-19.
- Mehanna H, Wong WL, McConkey CC, Rahman JK, Robinson M, Hartley AGJ, Nutting C, Powell N, Al-Booz H, Robinson M, Junor E, Rizwanullah M, von Zeidler SV, Wieshmann H, Hulme C, Smith AF, Hall P, Dunn J, PET-NECK Trial Management Grp. PET-CT Surveillance versus Neck Dissection in Advanced Head and Neck Cancer. New England Journal of Medicine 2016, 374(15), 1444-1454.
- Higginson J, Nugent M, Robinson M. Should we test for high-risk human papilloma virus in patients with oral dysplasia?. British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 2016, 54(5), 590-591.
- Wilkie MD, Upile NS, Lau AS, Williams SP, Sheard J, Helliwell TR, Robinson M, Rodrigues J, Beemireddy K, Lewis-Jones H, Hanlon R, Husband D, Shenoy A, Roland NJ, Jackson SR, Bekiroglu F, Tandon S, Lancaster J, Jones TM. Transoral laser microsurgery for oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma: A paradigm shift in therapeutic approach. Head & Neck 2016, 38(8), 1263-1270.
- Moutasim KA, Robinson M, Thavaraj S. Human papillomavirus testing in diagnostic head and neck pathology. Diagnostic Histopathology 2015, 21(2), 77-84.
- Dale OT, Aleksic T, Shah KA, Han C, Mehanna H, Rapozo DCM, Sheard JDH, Goodyear P, Upile NS, Robinson M, Jones TM, Winter S, Macaulay VM. IGF-1R expression is associated with HPV-negative status and adverse survival in head and neck squamous cell cancer. Carcinogenesis 2015, 36(6), 648-655.
- Collins L, Banks R, Robinson M. Juvenile xanthogranuloma: unusual intraoral finding. British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 2015, 53(1), 86-88.
- Caley A, Evans M, Powell N, Paleri V, Tomkinson A, Urbano TG, Jay A, Robinson M, Thavaraj S. Multicentric human papillomavirus-associated head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Head & Neck 2015, 37(2), 202-208.
- Goodson ML, Sloan P, Robinson CM, Cocks K, Thomson PJ. Oral precursor lesions and malignant transformation - who, where, what, and when?. British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 2015, 53(9), 831-835.
- Owadally W, Hurt C, Timmins H, Parsons E, Townsend S, Patterson J, Hutcheson K, Powell N, Beasley M, Palaniappan N, Robinson M, Jones T, Evans M. PATHOS: a phase II/III trial of risk-stratified, reduced intensity adjuvant treatment in patients undergoing transoral surgery for Human papillomavirus (HPV) positive oropharyngeal cancer. BMC Cancer 2015, 15, 602.
- Chambers AE, Conn B, Pemberton M, Robinson M, Banks R, Sloan P. Twenty-first-century oral hairy leukoplakia-a non-HIV-associated entity. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology 2015, 119(3), 326-332.
- Schache A, Croud J, Robinson M, Thavaraj S. Human Papillomavirus Testing in Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma: Best Practice for Diagnosis. Methods in Molecular Biology 2014, 1180, 237-255.
- Thavaraj S, Stokes A, Mazuno K, Henley-Smith R, Suh YE, Paleri V, Tavassoli M, Odell E, Robinson M. Patients with HPV-related tonsil squamous cell carcinoma rarely harbour oncogenic HPV infection at other pharyngeal sites. Oral Oncology 2014, 50(4), 241-246.
- Bates T, McQueen A, Iqbal MS, Kelly C, Robinson M. Small Cell Neuroendocrine Carcinoma of the Oropharynx Harbouring Oncogenic HPV-Infection. Head and Neck Pathology 2014, 8(1), 127-131.
- Upile NS, Shaw RJ, Jones TM, Goodyear P, Liloglou T, Risk JM, Boyd MT, Sheard J, Sloan P, Robinson M, Schache AG. Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Head and Neck Outside the Oropharynx Is Rarely Human Papillomavirus Related. Laryngoscope 2014, 124(12), 2739-2744.
- Kist R, Watson M, Crosier M, Robinson M, Fuchs J, Reichelt J, Peters H. The Formation of Endoderm-Derived Taste Sensory Organs Requires a Pax9-Dependent Expansion of Embryonic Taste Bud Progenitor Cells. PLoS Genetics 2014, 10(10), e1004709.
- Diajil A, Robinson CM, Sloan P, Thomson PJ. Clinical Outcome Following Oral Potentially Malignant Disorder Treatment: A 100 Patient Cohort Study. International Journal of Dentistry 2013, 2013, 809248.
- Evans M, Newcombe R, Fiander A, Powell J, Rolles M, Thavaraj S, Robinson M, Powell N. Human Papillomavirus-associated oropharyngeal cancer: an observational study of diagnosis, prevalence and prognosis in a UK population. BMC Cancer 2013, 13, 220.
- Robinson M, Suh YE, Paleri V, Devlin D, Ayaz B, Pertl L, Thavaraj S. Oncogenic human papillomavirus-associated nasopharyngeal carcinoma: an observational study of correlation with ethnicity, histological subtype and outcome in a UK population. Infectious Agents and Cancer 2013, 8(1), 30.
- Mehanna H, McQueen A, Robinson M, Paleri V. Salivary gland swellings. Clinical Otolaryngology 2013, 38(1), 58-65.
- Kumar R, Drinnan M, Robinson M, Meikle D, Stafford F, Welch A, Zammit-Maempel I, Paleri V. Thyroid gland invasion in total laryngectomy and total laryngopharyngectomy: a systematic review and meta-analysis of the English literature. Clinical Otolaryngology 2013, 38, 372-378.
- Schache AG, Liloglou T, Risk JM, Jones TM, Ma X-J, Wang H, Bui S, Luo Y, Sloan P, Shaw RJ, Robinson M. Validation of a novel diagnostic standard in HPV-positive oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma. British Journal of Cancer 2013, 108, 1332-1339.
- Bates T, DuPlessis D, Polvikoski T, Sloan P, McQueen A, Meikle D, Kelly C, Robinson M. Ganglioneuroblastic transformation in olfactory neuroblastoma. Head and Neck Pathology 2012, 6(1), 150-155.
- Robinson M, Schache A, Sloan P, Thavaraj S. HPV specific testing: a requirement for oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma patients. Head and Neck Pathology 2012, 6(supp.1), S83-S90.
- Mehanna H, McQueen A, Robinson M, Paleri V. Salivary gland swellings. British Medical Journal 2012, 345, e6794.
- Schache AG, Liloglou T, Risk JM, Filia A, Jones TM, Sheard J, Woolgar JA, Helliwell T, Triantafyllou A, Robinson M, Sloan P, Harvey-Woodworth C, Sisson D, Shaw RJ. Evaluation of human papilloma virus diagnostic testing in oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma: sensitivity, specificity and prognostic discrimination. Clinical Cancer Research 2011, 17(19), 6262-6271.
- Thavaraj S, Stokes A, Guerra E, Bible J, Halligan E, Long A, Okpokam A, Sloan P, Odell E, Robinson M. Evaluation of human papillomavirus testing for squamous cell carcinoma of the tonsil in clinical practice. Journal of Clinical Pathology 2011, 64(4), 308-312.
- Challen C, Brown H, Cai C, Betts G, Paterson I, Sloan P, West C, Birch-Machin M, Robinson M. Mitochondrial DNA mutations in head and neck cancer are infrequent and lack prognostic utility. British Journal of Cancer 2011, 104(8), 1319-1324.
- Lopes V, Murray P, Williams H, Woodman C, Watkinson J, Robinson M. Squamous cell carcinoma of the oral cavity rarely harbours oncogenic human papillomavirus. Oral Oncology 2011, 47(8), 698-701.
- Shaw R, Robinson M. The increasing clinical relevance of human papillomavirus type 16 (HPV-16) infection in oropharyngeal cancer. British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 2011, 49(6), 423-429.
- Cairns L, Naidu A, Robinson CM, Sloan P, Wright JM, Hunter KD. CD56 (NCAM) expression in ameloblastomas and other odontogenic lesions. Histopathology 2010, 57(4), 544-548.
- Robinson M, Sloan P, Shaw R. Refining the diagnosis of oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma using human papillomavirus testing. Oral Oncology 2010, 46(7), 492-496.
- Yap LF, Jenei V, Robinson CM, Moutasim K, Benn TM, Threadgold SP, Lopes V, Wei W, Thomas GJ, Paterson IC. Upregulation of Eps8 in oral squamous cell carcinoma promotes cell migration and invasion through integrin-dependent Rac1 activation. Oncogene 2009, 28(27), 2524-2534.
- Paleri V, Robinson M, Bradley P. Polymorphous low-grade adenocarcinoma of the head and neck. Current Opinion in Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery 2008, 16(2), 163-169.
- Robinson CM, Prime SS, Paterson IC, Guest P, Eveson JW. Expression of Ki-67 and p53 in cutaneous free flaps used to reconstruct soft tissue defects following resection of oral squamous cell carcinoma. Oral Oncology 2007, 43(3), 263-271.
- Thirthagiri E, Robinson CM, Huntley S, Davies M, Yap LF, Prime SS, Paterson IC. Spindle assembly checkpoint and centrosome abnormalities in oral cancer. Cancer Letters 2007, 258(2), 276-285.
- Stead LR, Williams JV, Williams AC, Robinson CM. An investigation into the practice of tongue piercing in the South West of England. British Dental Journal 2006, 200(2), 103-107.
- Robinson CM, Oxley JD, Weir J, Eveson JW. Lichenoid and granulomatous stomatitis: an entity or a non-specific inflammatory process?. Journal of Oral Pathology & Medicine 2006, 35(5), 262-267.
- Davies M, Robinson M, Smith E, Huntley S, Prime S, Paterson I. Induction of an epithelial to mesenchymal transition in human immortal and malignant keratinocytes by TGF-β1 involves MAPK, Smad and AP-1 signalling pathways. Journal of Cellular Biochemistry 2005, 95(5), 918-931.
- Huntley SP, Davies M, Matthews JB, Thomas G, Marshall J, Robinson CM, Eveson JW, Paterson IC, Prime SS. Attenuated type II TGF-β receptor signalling in human malignant oral keratinocytes induces a less differentiated and more aggressive phenotype that is associated with metastatic dissemination. International Journal of Cancer 2004, 110(2), 170-176.
- Prime SS, Eveson JW, Stone AM, Huntley SP, Davies M, Paterson IC, Robinson CM. Metastatic dissemination of human malignant oral keratinocyte cell lines following orthotopic transplantation reflects response to TGF-β1. Journal of Pathology 2004, 203(4), 927-932.
- Robinson CM, Addy L, Wylie M, Luker J, Eveson JW, Prime SS. A study of the clinical characteristics of benign trigeminal sensory neuropathy. Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 2003, 61(3), 325-332.
- Robinson CM, Stone AM, Shields JD, Huntley S, Paterson IC, Prime SS. Functional significance of MMP-2 and MMP-9 expression by human malignant oral keratinocyte cell lines. Archives of Oral Biology 2003, 48(11), 779-786.
- Paterson IC, Davies M, Stone A, Huntley S, Smith E, Pring M, Eveson JW, Robinson CM, Parkinson EK, Prime SS. TGF-β1 acts as a tumor suppressor of human malignant keratinocytes independently of Smad 4 expression and ligand-induced G1 arrest. Oncogene 2002, 21(10), 1616-1624.
- Paterson IC, Matthews JB, Huntley S, Robinson CM, Fahey M, Parkinson EK, Prime SS. Decreased expression of TGF-β cell surface receptors during progression of human oral squamous cell carcinoma. Journal of Pathology 2001, 193(4), 458-467.
- Robinson CM, Prime SS, Huntley S, Stone AM, Davies M, Eveson JW, Paterson IC. Overexpression of JunB in undifferentiated malignant rat oral keratinocytes enhances the malignant phenotype in vitro without altering cellular differentiation. International Journal of Cancer 2001, 91(5), 625-630.
- Robinson CM, Di Biase AT, Leigh IM, Williams DM, Thornhill MH. Oral Psoriasis. British Journal of Dermatology 1996, 134(2), 347-349.