As this is the largest School in the University and the vast majority of its students are postgraduates, there is a thriving research culture.
We currently have over 140 postgraduate research students in the School. Facilities include dedicated office space equipped with PCs for PhD students; a resource centre and computer clusters available to all postgraduate research students.
• The School has a PhD Support Group run by
• There is an annual School conference for research students
• The School publishes an electronic journal of research student work (ARECLS)
• A number of research events open to staff and research students run in the School, including:
- The Seminars in Speech and Language Sciences Programme
- The Seminars in Education and Communication Programme
- The Education, Communication and Language Sciences Postgraduate Research Group
The Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences provides research training in professional/key skills and research techniques, and hosts postgraduate events.
Call Open: Studentships in Social Sciences - North East Doctoral Training Centre (NEDTC)
The call for ESRC North East Doctoral Training Centre (NEDTC) studentships in social sciences is now open. This is a hugely popular competition so early engagement with the School and with prospective supervisors is strongly advised. In the School of Education, Communication and Language Sciences (ECLS), we are interested in hearing from people in the UK or European Union who have an interesting idea for a doctoral project and who would like to explore a studentship in Speech and Language Sciences, Education or Applied Linguistics/Communication. Please check our website at http://www.ncl.ac.uk/ecls/study/postgrad/research/ for research themes and staff interests.
Further information on the ESRC North East Doctoral Training Centre (NEDTC) studentships are available from here: http://www.nedtc.ac.uk/studentships/awards/
You are advised to consult the full details of the competition to determine eligibility before contacting a prospective supervisor.
Closing date for completed applications is 1st February 2016. Early contact with the School is essential so that we can help you prepare a good application; please contact Dr Carolyn Letts, PGR Director (Carolyn.email@example.com) by 1st December 2015 at the latest.