Dr Carolyn Letts
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 7390
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 6518
- Address: 2.2 KGVI
King George VI Building,
University of Newcastle,
Queen Victoria Rd,
Newcastle upon Tyne,
My work is driven by a fascination with mechanisms of language acquisition and language impairment in children. This motivates me to explore what language acquisition in typically developing children can tell us about factors underpinning language impairment, and to search cross-linguistically and across bilingual populations for evidence of these factors. I take an emergentist view of language acquisition, i.e. that different emerging skills underpinning language interact with each other and with characteristics of environmental input to influence outcome. I am particularly interested in how typical language development occurs in children in different linguistic and socio-economic contexts.
Qualified Speech and Language Therapist with interests and experience in paediatrics
Roles and Responsibilities
Director of Postgraduate Research, School of ECLS
Lecturer, University of Reading
Member of Royal College of Speech and language Therapists
Member of Health Professions Council
Some knowledge of German
Early characteristics of language impairment.
Assessment of children's language.
The assessment and treatment of language impaired children from bilingual backgrounds.
Typical trajectories of language acquisition in bilingual children.
Developing research on factors influencing early second language acquistion in children.
Specific aspects of bilingual language acquisition.
Socio-economic status and child language.
Language assessment in children.
Language impairment in children.
Bilingual language development and impairment in bilingual children.
Assessment and impairment of language in children with first language other than English.
gl-assessment: 'The New Reynell': Redevelopment and re-standardisation of the Reynell Developmental Language Scales (4th Edition). £134,000 (2009-11)
Child language impairment: case-based problem solving;
Child language acquisition;
Research supervision at undergraduate, masters and MPhil/PhD levels.
As above, for MSc in language Pathology
- Letts C, Edwards S, Schaefer B, Sinka I. The New Reynell Developmental Language Scales: Descriptive account and illustrative case study. Child Language Teaching and Therapy 2014, 30(1), 103-116.
- Mroz M, Letts C. Early years education, language and social background: A decade of changing policy and practice. European Journal of Applied Linguistics 2014, 2(1), 79-100.
- McKean C, Letts CA, Howard D. Triggering word learning in children with Language Impairment: The effect of phonotactic probability and neighbourhood density. Journal of Child Language 2014, 41(6), 1224-1228.
- McKean C, Letts CA, Howard D. Developmental Change Is Key to Understanding Primary Language Impairment: The Case of Phonotactic Probability and Nonword Repetition. Journal of Speech, Language and Hearing Research 2013, 56(5), 1579-1594.
- McKean C, Letts CA, Howard D. Functional reorganization in the developing lexicon: separable and changing influences of lexical and phonological variables on children's fast-mapping. Journal of Child Language 2013, 40(2), 307-335.
- Letts C, Sinka I. Research and practice in working with children who are bilingual or have English as an additional language and who have language and communication needs. Child Language Teaching and Therapy 2013, 29(1), 7-9.
- Letts C, Edwards S, Sinka I, Schaefer B, Gibbons W. Socio-economic status and language acquisition: children's performance on the new Reynell Developmental Language Scales. International Journal of Language & Communication Disorders 2013, 48(2), 131-143.
- Letts CA. Multicultural issues in assessment and management. In: Kersner, M., Wright, J, ed. Speech and Language Therapy: The Decision Making Process When Working with Children. Oxford: Routledge, 2012, pp.135-142.
- Letts CA. Communication impairment in a multilingual context. In: Ellis, S., McCartney, E, ed. Applied Linguistics and Primary School Teaching: Developing a Language Curriculum. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2011, pp.267-275.
- Letts CA, Sinka I. The Multilingual Toolkit. London: GL Assessment, 2011.
- Edwards S, Letts CA, Sinka I. The New Reynell Developmental Language Scales. 2011. London: GL-Assessment, Language assessment toolkit.
- Mroz M, Letts C. Interview stories: Early years practitioners' experiences with children with speech, language and communication needs. Child Language Teaching and Therapy 2008, 24(1), 73-93.
- Gatt D, Letts CA, Klee T. Lexical mixing in the early productive vocabularies of Maltese children: implications for intervention. Clinical Linguistics & Phonetics 2008, 22(4-5), 267-274.
- Pert S, Letts CA. Codeswitching in Mirpuri speaking Pakistani heritage preschool children: Bilingual language acquisition. International Journal of Bilingualism 2006, 10(3), 349-374.
- Pert S, Letts CA. Developing an expressive language assessment for children in Rochdale with a Pakistani heritage background. Child Language Teaching and Therapy 2003, 19(3), 266-289.
- Letts C, Hall E. Exploring early years professionals' knowledge about speech and language and development and impairment. Child Language Teaching and Therapy 2003, 19(2), 204-229.
- Letts CA, Leinonen E, Smith BR. Children's pragmatic communication difficulties. London: Whurr, 2000.
- Letts CA, Edwards S, Garman M, Hughes A. Clinical Forum Assessing the comprehension and production of language in young children: an account of the Reynell Developmental Language Scales III. International Journal of Language and Communication Disorders 1999, 34(2), 151-171.