I taught in schools in the north-east of England then worked as an LEA advisory teacher before joining the university in September 2003.
Roles and Responsibilities
Degree Programme Director
- PGCE Primary Humanities (History, Geography, RE).
- EDU8399 Education Research Dissertation (MA Ed Res)
- EDU1001 Education, Schooling, Children and Society
- EDU 1005 The History of Western Education
BA (Hons) Education
- The philosophy of the social sciences and research methodology (especially critical realism)
- Teacher education and pedagogy (especially critical and Vygotskian perspectives)
- The sociology and history of education (especially critical and Marxist perspectives)
I undertake doctoral and masters supervision: Please email me if you seek a supervisor in the research areas listed above.
Keynote speaker: Fifth International Conference on Critical Education (ICCE) in Wroclaw, Poland, June 2015.
Invited speaker at North East People’s Assembly Stand Up for Education (SUFE),
Northern Stage 1st November 2014.
Invited speaker: Anglia Ruskin
University Critical Education and Justice
(CEJ) seminar series 2013/14, 6th November 2013.
Member of Editorial Advisory Board of Journal of Critical Education Policy Studies (JCEPS)
Newcastle Institute for Social Renewal (NISR 38):Teaching education for social justice to student
teachers on a one year PGCE course: how effective is transformative teaching in
the current political and social climate? (PI: Dr Hanneke Jones).
ERASMUS+ Project Internal Consultant (PI Dr Heather Smith) BH149512: Interactive
dual language immersive learning space.