Dr Joana Filipa Almeida
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 0191 208 5284
- Personal Website: www.researchgate.net/profile/Joana_Almeida12
- Address: Room 2.57
School of ECLS
King George VI Building
Queen Victoria Road
I was appointed Research Associate at Newcastle University in January 2017. Here, I develop research on the internationalisation of higher education and cross-cultural communication matters, as well as research with an interdisciplinary scope.
My main responsibilities are to develop applied research on an Erasmus+ Strategic Partnerships Project 'Approaches and Tools for Internationalisation at Home', coordinated by Professor Sue Robson. Additionally, I work on a Bristish Council capacity-building programme for higher education focused on internationalising the curriculum. This programme is a partnership between Newcastle University and Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio Grande Sul (PUCRS), and is coordinated by Professor Sue Robson.
Between February and June 2017, I have also been responsible for developing a mapping literature review on a research proposal about intergenerational communication, coordinated by Professor James Law and Dr Tony Young.
After graduating with a 5-year undergraduate degree in Portuguese and English from the University of Aveiro, in Portugal, I worked for 2 years as a Research Assistant on a meta-analysis research project in Language Education and provided research assistance on other research projects in Language Education and teacher training. In 2010, I went on to study for a PhD in Education, with a specialisation in Evaluation, at the University of Aveiro. More recently, in 2015, I served on a team of research associates for the quantitative data analysis of a cross-cultural project measuring the intercultural effectiveness of exchange programmes from a US-based study abroad organisation.
During both my undergraduate degree and doctoral studies I had the opportunity to study abroad. I was an Erasmus student at the University of Southampton (UK) and a visiting scholar at SIT Graduate Institute (USA), where I did two research stays in International Education under the supervision of Prof Emer. Alvino E. Fantini. My personal experience as an exchange student in the UK was the main motivation to carry out a doctoral research which aimed to enhance the intercultural learning of European credit-seeking exchange students during their stay abroad. I completed my PhD in November 2015.
- PhD (with Honour and Distinction), in Education, University of Aveiro, 2015
- Visiting scholar in International Education, SIT Graduate Institute, 2013-2014
- BA in Portuguese and English for educational purposes, University of Aveiro, 2006
- Erasmus exchange, University of Southampton, 2003-2004
I am a former member of the Erasmus Student Network Aveiro (ESN Aveiro), having developed a series of non-formal activities that aimed to facilitate the integration of exchange students in a new academic and cultural setting. I am a member of the International Academy for Intercultural Research (IAIR) and a team member of ICC Global, an online community of researchers and practioners worldwide who are interested in furthering intercultural competence. At Newcastle University, I am a member of the Research Centre for Learning and Teaching (CfLAT).
I work at the intersection of Intercultural and International Education, and I am a great fan of interdisciplinary research in the social sciences. My specific research interests are:
- Internationalisation of higher education (at Home and Cross-border)
- Internationalisation of the curriculum
- Student mobility/ Study abroad
- Intercultural competence facilitation and assessment
- Intergenerational communication in cultural settings and/or groups
- Mixed methodologies and innovative research methods (in International and Intercultural Education)
So far, I have contributed to the following modules with the following talks:
- EDU1004 Internationalising University Experience – “The intercultural value of exchange programmes: A missed opportunity?”, February 9th 2017
- CCC8077 Professional Communication Skills – “Intercultural Competence in European Higher Education”, March 24th 2017
I have also made the following presentations at Newcastle University:
- CflaT Research Tea – "European student mobility and Intercultural Learning at a Portuguese University", July 4th 2017
- CflaT Away Day - "Getting our student out and about: Intercultural learning in the wider community". September 29th, Almeida, J. & Robson, S.
- Almeida J. Intercultural seminars: An educational intervention with sojourners at a Portuguese university. In: Darla K. Deardorff, & Lily A. Arasaratnam-Smith, ed. Intercultural Competence in Higher Education: International Approaches, Assessment and Application. London: Routledge, 2017, pp.144-150.
- Almeida J, Fantini AE, Simões AR, Costa N. Enhancing the intercultural effectiveness of exchange programmes: formal and non-formal educational interventions. Intercultural Education 2016, 27(6), 517-533.
- Almeida J, Jedlikowska D, Menendez FG, Modenesi E, Staniuleviciene D. Lifelong learning in a Global world: A joint virtual mobility course for professional development. Profesinis Rengimas: Vocational Education, research and reality 2014, 25, 242-246.
- Almeida J, Simões AR, Costa N. Bridging the gap between conceptualisation & assessment of intercultural competence. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences 2012, 64, 695-704.
- Pinho AS, Almeida J, Martins F, Pinto S. Um olhar sobre a biografia epistemológica da Didática de Línguas em Portugal – em busca de marcas discursivas do humano. In: Congresso Internacional do CIDInE: Novos contextos de pesquisa, formação e mediação. 2009, Porto: CIDINE.