- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 6585
- Address: Room 1.64 KGVI
School of ECLS
King George VI Building
Queen Victoria Road
Newcastle upon Tyne
PhD Recognition and support of children with speech, language and communication needs: knowledge, policy and practice.
My research interests include;
The interaction between teacher knowledge of pupils with speech , language and communication needs and classroom practice.
Playtimes in primary schools - including both the physical space and the links to children's social and emotional development.
Children's early reading development.
Module Leader for the English component of the Primary PGCE EDU 8171
EDU 8134 Reflective practitioner module; Sessions on Language and social disadvantage and Playtimes and playgrounds.
SPE2044 SPE8152 Speech and Language Pathology: Pre-school Child case study.
EDU 8202/8203 Investigating Learning Processes.
EDU1001 Education Children and Society: taught session on Children's socialisation within and beyond the classroom.
EDU2001 Pedagogies: taught session on Playtimes and Children's Social and Emotional Learning.
EDU3002 Social Justice and Education: taught session on The issues of labelling children in relation to academic needs.
- Mroz M. Providing training in speech and language for education professionals: Challenges, support and the view from the ground. Child Language Teaching and Therapy 2006, 22(2), 155-176.
- Mroz M. Teaching in the Foundation Stage—how current systems support teachers' knowledge and understanding of children's speech and language. International Journal of Early Years Education 2006, 14(1), 45-61.
- Smith F, Hardman F, Wall K, Mroz M. Interactive whole class teaching in the National Literacy and Numercy Strategies. British Educational Research Journal 2004, 30(3), 395-411.
- Baumfield V, Mroz M. Investigating pupils' questions in the primary classroom. Educational Research 2002, 44(2), 129-140.
- Mroz M, Hall E. Not Yet Identified: the knowledge, skills, and training needs of early years professionals in relation to children's speech and language development. Early Years An International Journal of Research and Development 2003, 23(2), 117-130.
- Baumfield VM, Mroz M. Investigating pupils' questions in the primary classroom. In: Wragg, T, ed. RoutledgeFalmer Reader in Teaching and Learning. London: Routledge Falmer, 2004, pp.49-59.
- Hardman F, Smith F, Wall K, Mroz M. Interactive whole class teaching in literacy and numeracy lessons. University of Newcastle upon Tyne: The Economic and Social Research Council, 2003. ISBN: 0701701536.
- Hardman F, Smith F, Wall K, Mroz M. Interactive whole class teaching. Literacy Today 2003, (35).
- Hardman F, Smith F, Wall K, Mroz M, Bramald R. Interactive Whole Class Teaching in the National Literacy and Numeracy Strategies. University of Newcastle: School of Education, Communication and Language Sciences, 2003.
- Mroz M, Hall E, Letts CA, Santer J. Children's Speech and Language Development: an investigation of the knowledge, skills and understanding of early years professionals. Newcastle upon Tyne: University of Newcastle upon Tyne, 2002.
- Mroz M, Smith F, Hardman F. On the hour: teachers' attitudes to the National Literacy Strategy. Studies in Teaching and Learning 2000, 2(1), 8-18.
- Mroz MA, Smith F. Student teachers' perceptions of the National Literacy Strategy and the Literacy Hour. Curriculum 2000, 21(1), 39-53.
- Smith F, Mroz M, Shaughnessy M. Differences in learning between undergraduates and prospective summer school entrants. In: European Conference on Educational Research. 2000, Edinburgh, UK.
- Smith F, Mroz M, Shaughnessy M. Improving reading comprehension among undergraduates: towards widening participation. In: European Conference on Educational Research. 2000, Edinburgh, UK.
- Mroz M, Smith F, Hardman F. The discourse of the literacy hour. Cambridge Journal of Education 2000, 30(3), 379-390.
- Hardman F, Mroz M. Post-16 english teaching: From recitation to discussion. Educational Review 1999, 51(3), 283-293.
- Hardman F, Mroz M, Smith F. Evaluating the effectiveness of the National Literacy Strategy: identifying indicators of success. In: European Conference on Educational Research. 1999, Lahti, Finland.
- Mroz M, Letts C. Early years education, language and social background: A decade of changing policy and practice. European Journal of Applied Linguistics 2014, 2(1), 79-100.
- Law J, Todd L, Clark J, Mroz M, Carr J. Early Language Delays in the UK. London: Save the Children, 2013.
- Mroz M, Letts C. Interview stories: Early years practitioners' experiences with children with speech, language and communication needs. Child Language Teaching and Therapy 2008, 24(1), 73-93.