For those seeking a one-year full-time course leading to a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE). We offer three courses:
- Primary PGCE - teaching pupils five to 11 years of age
- Secondary PGCE - teaching pupils 11 to 18 years of age
- School Direct with Newcastle University PGCE - Options for primary teaching and secondary teaching across a range of subjects, with recruitment by our School Direct partner schools
All PGCE routes (including School Direct) provide rigorous on-the-job training with at least 2/3 of the programme spent in schools. University and school-based components are integrated so that learning becomes relevant and put into practice to enable your development as a confident and capable teacher.
You will register for the PGCE and take Master's level modules throughout your year in training.
At the end of the year, if you have successfully passed all components, you can either:
- graduate with PGCE (60 Masters credits) and Qualified teacher Status (QTS)
- or carry on to year two of the MEd part-time, while in your first teaching year
In order to attain the MEd you will need to acquire 180 credits during the three years.