Current EEE students - Frequently Asked Questions?

Undergraduate Students (B.Eng/M.Eng)

Taught Postgraduate (M.Sc.)

  • Coming soon...

Research Postgraduate (Ph.D.)

  • Coming soon...

General queries for all levels

Undergraduate Students (B.Eng/M.Eng)

Am I eligible to apply for the School Scholarship? What is the criteria?

Students who select Newcastle University as their Firm choice with UCAS, meet our entrance requirements and are not in the Foundation Year or fully sponsored by a government or company, are eligible to receive the School Scholarship.

In order to receive the School Scholarship in subsequent years, students must achieve 55% and above in their stage average for the previous academic year.

Can I get sponsored by an industrial company during my studies?

Students within the School are encouraged to apply for sponsorship with engineering companies to support them financially during their academic studies and gain useful work experience. Examples of companies offering sponsorship opportunities are the E3 Academy, Tridonic and Sevcon.

Can I do a work placement during my degree?

Students registered on an MEng degree programmes are required to undertake an industrial placement between the end of Stage 3 and by the Christmas vacation of Stage 4. If you are interested in undergoing any other training or doing work experience alongside your studies, you are welcome to consult your personal tutor for advice.

I want to change my degree programme. How do I do this?

If you wish to change your degree programme, please contact the Undergraduate Degree Programme Director (Dr Graeme Chester) to discuss this. If moving from a BEng to an MEng degree programme, you will need to have a stage average of 55% and above. If the DPD approves your request, you will need to complete a 'DPD Request Form', which you can get from the School Office. This will need to be signed by the DPD. The Undergraduate Secretary will then arrange the transfer on your behalf.

I want to change my module choices. How do I do this?

In order to change your modules, please collect a Module Amendment Form from the School Office. Once completed, this will need to be signed by your Personal Tutor and the Undergraduate Degree Programme Director (Dr Graeme Chester). Please note module changes can only be made up until the end of the second week of teaching of each semester.

I want to get an extension for my work. How do I do this?

Please collect a PEC form from the School Office to request an extension submitting any evidence you think appropriate to support your request.

What is the PEC form?

The Personal Extenuating Circumstances Form is the form students complete when they are experiencing personal problems which they believe could affect their studies. This one form is a way of informing the School of the issues you are experiencing and for you to request a number of different adjustments, such as an extension, exemptions, deferrals or Board of Examiners discretion. Students can submit any documents which they think are relevant to support their application.

How do I get my exam results?

The School will notify students of the date that exam results will be ready to access on S3P, prior to the exams taking place. The School Office does not produce exam results for students to collect.

Can I discuss my exam results with my module leader?

If students wish to discuss a particular exam paper, they should contact the module leader of the exam concerned to arrange an appointment. This may only be done by sending an email request to the module leader of the module concerned after the publication of results. If feedback on more than one module is required, a separate request must be sent for each module. The deadline for submitting such requests will be one week after the publication of results.

What happens if I fail my exams?

If you fail some modules, you will need to wait for the Board of Examiners to decide what they think should happen.

In most cases failed modules will lead to a resit, which usually takes place in the August. Occasionally you will be able to go into the next year and 'carry' a failed module (no more than 20 credits of non-core). Resit marks will be capped at 40%.

As every student is different, we would recommend that you take advice from your Personal Tutor after the Board of Examiners.

Who do I go to if I have a problem?

If you experience any difficulties, you are welcome to discuss these with your Personal Tutor, the Stage Tutor, the Undergraduate Degree Programme Director, School Management Staff or administrative staff in the School Office. The University's Student Wellbeing Service also offers a range of services which aim to support students during their time here in order to ensure successful completion of their studies. Their services are available throughout the year and are completely free and confidential.

What is the IET & how do I join

The Institute of Engineering Technology encourages students to become members in order for you to engage with the global engineering and technology community. More information can be found on the IET website

The School will pay for student membership during your first year of study within the school.

How do I become a course representative?

If you wish to become a course representative, you can contact either your Personal or Stage Tutor or the Undergraduate Secretary in the School Office.

General queries for all levels

Do we have an IEEE Student Branch?

Yes there is an IEEE Newcastle University Student Branch. More about the revived IEEE Student Branch from a School News item.

How do I get help with a school computer/IT problem?

Please see the webpage EEE IT - IT Service Requests

My smartcard does not allow me access to the Computer Lab (1st floor) or the Electronics Lab (3rd floor)?

There are several possible reasons for this

  1. Wave your smartcard in front of any of the lab door sensors. If the green LED does not light up or flash your card is defective. You will need to go to the Robinson Library and get a new smartcard. When you get your new card email giving your student name and student number (that appears directly under your name on the card. NOT the 'U' number.) so that the new chip number can be entered on to the Merz Court system.
  2. If the green LED flashes 3 times - your card is working. However you have not been granted access to the lab.
    Usually this is because you have not completed the Health and Safety declaration form. Your handbook states "You must read and sign the health & safety declaration before you will be given access to the Computing and Electronics lab."
    Please read the health & safety information relating to your course/year within the Current Students page then complete the declaration form linked at the bottom. Once we have the completed form please allow 24 hours for your access to be enabled. (Please note that at busy periods like the start of the academic year this can take up to 72 hours).
  3. Out of hours the smartcard sensors may also flash 3 times indicating that access is not granted to you at this time.

The computers in EEE won't let me login? (error "You cannot log on because the logon method you are using is not allowed on this computer. Please see your network administrator for more information.")

In EEE we have dedicated computer and lab equipment for EEE (and also PHY) module takers. If you get presented with the above error message at login it means you may not be listed as 'fully registered'. This may be because you are not registered on any EEE or PHY modules or you have optional modules which require confirmation. To confirm your module choices you will need to login to S3P. These screen shots show a typical S3P session to confirm module choices. Other reasons for not being classed as 'fully registered' include fee problems and smartcard collection issues.

Occasionally the message detailed (or similar) may mean that your account has been suspended either by ISS (over the whole University) or EEE (within Merz Court) - you should contact EEE IT if you feel that this is your problem.