The Centre for Advanced Electrical Drives (CAED) helps industry apply cutting-edge research to commercial motor drive products.
We pride ourselves on our ability to deliver:
- High performance, high speed, low-cost and high-efficiency projects
- Professional service offering with a proven track record of success
We provide industrial partners with access to our world-leading Motors, Drives and Power Electronics researchers. We have collaborated with distinguished organisations such as Jaguar Land Rover, Airbus, Dyson, Goodrich, Cummins and Toyota / Volvo (through our partnership with Höganäs).
Advanced Propulsion Centre UK Partnership
We are a member of the prestigious Spokes Network, a national network to support the automotive industry with specialist academic, technological and commercial expertise, part of the Advanced Propulsion Centre UK.
Motor and drive design
- Dedicated researchers in electromagnetic, power electronics and mechanical
- Full range of tools for Motor and Drive design and analysis
- One-off prototype manufacture
- Wire erosion of lamination stacks
- Static testing
- Dynamic testing facilities ranging up to 500KW or 100krpm
- Rotor overspeed testing
- Climatic chambers
- Rare-earth magnet-free traction
- Very high fill factor (>80%) windings
- Innovative inverter cooling
Expert AdviceExpert Advice
We apply innovative thinking to provide business solutions to help our clients build and maintain a competitive edge. This can be either as part of a short-term consultancy project, or a medium to long-term commercial research project.
Our business partners have access to our world-class facilities.
In addition, we also have a number of private offices, laboratories and meeting rooms where our clients can undertake research within a confidential environment.
The Centre is led by James Widmer, an expert in the design of electrical machines with experience of working in the aerospace industry.
Please contact us for an informal discussion on how we can help your business to grow.
We have worked with a number of industrial clients within the Centre to develop high efficiency, low cost products.
The following links show examples of our research in the news:
- Launch of the Newcastle University Advanced Propulsion Centre UK (APC)
- Newcastle University named Electric Machine Spoke as part of the Advanced Propulsion Centre UK (APC)
- Leading the way in motor technology (University Press Office)
- The Reluctant Hero (The Economist)
- Innovative Electric Motor and Transmission System (University Press Office)
- Can Motors in wheels spark an Electric Car Revolution? (CNN online)
- Funding given to project to replace Rare Earth Magnets (The Engineer)
- SolarEagle project (YouTube)
- Collaboration set to design motors for giant Solar Aircraft (The Engineer)