Dr Neal Wade
Lecturer in Power Systems
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0)191 208 3005
- Fax: +44 (0)191 208 8180
- Address: E3.24
School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE1 7RU, UK
Project lead and researcher on projects in the electricity distribution and off-grid power sectors. These projects are addressing the need to cost efficiently decarbonise the power sector over the next thirty years by investigating the innovative network integration of new generation and demand technologies. Computer simulation, laboratory investigation and demonstration projects are used together to produce the new knowledge that delivers this need. Work with team of research associates and supervise PhD and MSc researchers.
Established researcher with ten years’ experience in numerous university research and teaching roles and previous experience working in the electronics industry.
PhD, Glasgow University, 2002. Dynamics of ions and neutral particles in the sheath region of processing plasmas.
BEng, Glasgow University, 1997. Electronics with Music.
ResearchNeal is a member of the Electrical Power research group and his profile can be viewed on Google Scholar.
- Greenwood DM, Wade NS, Papadopoulos P, Heyward N, Taylor PC. A Probabilistic Method combining Electrical Energy Storage and Real-Time Thermal Ratings to defer Network Reinforcement. IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy 2017, 8(1), 374-384.
- Greenwood D, Wade N, Davison P, Taylor P, Papadopoulos P. Combining Energy Storage and Real-Time Thermal Ratings to Solve Distribution Network Problems: Benefits and Challenges. In: 24th International Conference on Electricity Distribution. 2017, Glasgow: CIRED.
- Boait P, Gammon R, Advani V, Wade N, Greenwood D, Davison P. ESCoBox: A Set of Tools for Mini-Grid Sustainability in the Developing World. Sustainability 2017, 9(5), 1-15.
- Greenwood DM, Wade NS, Taylor PC, Papadopoulos P, Heyward N, Alilat S. A Forecasting, Optimization and Scheduling System for Energy Storage Systems in Distribution Networks. In: IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting 2016. 2016, Boston, MA, USA: IEEE Power and Energy Society.
- Patsios C, Wu B, Chatzinikolaou E, Rogers DJ, Wade N, Brandon NP, Taylor P. An integrated approach for the analysis and control of grid connected energy storage systems. Journal of Energy Storage 2016, 5, 48-61.
- Davison PJ, Greenwood DM, Wade NS. Data mining of remote monitored stand–alone Solar PV Systems for State of Health Estimation. In: IEEE PES PowerAfrica. 2016, Livingstone, Zambia: IEEE.
- McDonald SP, Wade N, Cooper I, Heyward N, Morgan I, Madera M. Electromagnetic compatibility for large scale electrical energy storage. In: 8th IET International Conference on Power Electronics, Machines and Drives (PEMD 2016). 2016, Glasgow, UK: Institution of Engineering and Technology.
- McDonald SP, Wade NS, Cooper I, Heyward N, Morgan I, Madera M. Electromagnetic Compatibility for Large Scale Electrical Energy Storage. In: The 8th IET International Conference on Power Electronics, Machines and Drives (PEMD 2016). 2016, Glasgow, UK: IET.
- Taylor P, Patsios C, Munoz-Vaca S, Greenwood D, Wade N. Energy Storage Integration. In: Letcher, TM, ed. Storing Energy: With Special Reference to Renewable Energy Sources. Amsterdam, The Netherlands: Elsevier, 2016, pp.433-476.
- Greenwood DM, Davison PJ, Duby S, Wade NS. Methods and Applications for Electricity Demand Disaggregation in Developing Countries. In: IEEE PES PowerAfrica 2016. 2016, Livingstone, Zambia: IEEE.
- Mullen C, Wade NS, Olabisi O, Taylor PC. The impact of the coincidence of STOR and triad events on STOR provider's net-income considering load recovery characteristics. In: CIRED Workshop. 2016, Helsinki, Finland: Institution of Engineering and Technology.
- Crossland AF, Anuta OH, Wade NS. A socio-technical approach to increasing the battery lifetime of off-grid photovoltaic systems applied to a case study in Rwanda. Renewable Energy 2015, 83, 30-40.
- Blake SR, Davison PJ, Greenwood DM, Wade NS. Climate change risks in electricity networks. Infrastructure Asset Management 2015, 2(2), 42-51.
- Wang L, Liang DH, Crossland AF, Taylor PC, Jones D, Wade NS. Coordination of Multiple Energy Storage Units in a Low Voltage Distribution Network. IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid 2015, 6(6), 2906-2918.
- Lyons PF, Wade NS, Jiang T, Taylor PC, Hashiesh F, Michel M, Miller D. Design and analysis of electrical energy storage demonstration projects on UK distribution networks. Applied Energy 2015, 137, 677-691.
- Crossland AF, Wade NS, Jones D. Extraction of 9,163 real LV network models from DNO GIS database to assess overvoltage from PV and consequent mitigation measures. In: CIRED 23rd International Conference and Exhibition on Electricity Distribution. 2015, Lyon, France.
- Greenwood DM, Wade NS, Heyward N, Mehta P, Papadopoulos P, Taylor PC. Scheduling power and energy resources in the Smarter Network Storage project. In: CIRED 23rd International Conference and Exhibition on Electricity Distribution. 2015, Lyon, France: IET.
- Anuta OH, Taylor PC, Jones D, McEntee T, Wade NS. An international review of the implications of regulatory and electricity market structures on the emergence of grid scale electricity storage. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 2014, 38, 489-508.
- Anuta OH, Barteczko-Hibbert C, Wade NS. Future low carbon technologies, impacts and energy storage solutions on UK distribution networks. In: CIRED Workshop. 2014, Rome, Italy: CIRED.
- Crossland AF, Jones D, Wade NS. Planning the location and rating of distributed energy storage in LV networks using a genetic algorithm with simulated annealing. International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems 2014, 59, 103-110.
- Wade NS, Wang K, Michel M, Willis T. Demonstration of a 200 kW/200 kWh energy storage system on an 11kV UK distribution feeder. In: 2013 4th IEEE/PES Innovative Smart Grid Technologies Europe (ISGT EUROPE). 2013, Lyngby, Denmark: IEEE.
- Lang P, Michel M, Wade NS, Grunbaum R, Larsson T. Dynamic energy storage - Field operation experience. In: 2013 IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting (PES). 2013, Vancouver, BC: IEEE.
- McEwan C, Bek D, Wade N, Szablewski M, Halliday D, Crossland A, Anuta O, Rosenberg Z. Sustainable Solar Energy for Rural Development in South Africa: Project Stakeholder Report. University of Durham: Durham Energy Institute, 2013.
- Lang P, Michel M, Wade NS, Grunbaum R, Larsson T. Dynamic energy storage — A UK first. In: 10th IET International Conference on AC and DC Power Transmission (ACDC 2012). 2012, Birmingham, UK: IET.
- Wade NS, Short TD. Optimization of a linear actuator for use in a solar powered water pump. Solar Energy 2012, 86(3), 867–876.
- Anuta OH, Crossland AF, Jones D, Wade NS. Regulatory and financial hurdles for the installation of energy storage in UK distribution networks. In: CIRED 2012 Workshop: Integration of Renewables into the Distribution Grid. 2012, Lisbon, Portugal: IET.
- Lang P, Wade NS, Taylor PC. UK Deploys Battery Storage. Transmission & Distribution World 2012, 64(1), 56-62.
- Lawson MJ, Taylor PC, Bell S, Miller D, Wade NS. An interdisciplinary method to demand side participation for deferring distribution network reinforcement. In: 2nd IEEE PES International Conference and Exhibition on Innovative Smart Grid Technologies (ISGT Europe). 2011, Manchester, UK: IEEE.
- Xu Tau, Wade N, Davidson EM, Taylor PC, McArthur SDJ, Garlick WG. Case-Based Reasoning for Coordinated Voltage Control on Distribution Networks. Electric Power Systems Research 2011, 81(12), 2088-2098.
- Lang P, Wade N, Taylor P, Jones P, Larsson T. Early findings of an energy storage practical demonstration. In: 21st International Conference on Electricity Distribution. 2011, Frankfurt, Germany: IET.
- Chen M, Yu L, Wade NS, Liu X, Liu Q, Yang F. Investigation on the faulty state of DFIG in a microgrid. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics 2011, 26(7), 1913 -1919.
- Taylor PC, Xu T, Wade NS, Prodanovic M, Silversides R, Green T, Davidson EM, McArthur S. Distributed voltage control in AuRA-NMS. In: 2010 IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting. 2010, Minneapolis, MN: IEEE.
- Wade NS, Taylor PC, Lang PD, Jones PR. Evaluating the benefits of an electrical energy storage system in a future smart grid. Energy Policy 2010, 38(11), 7180-7188.
- Wade NS, Taylor PC, Lang P, Svensson J. Energy storage for power flow management and voltage control on an 11kV UK distribution network. In: 20th International Conference and Exhibition on Electricity Distribution. 2009, Prague, Czech Republic: IET.
- Wade NS, Short TD. The performance of a new positive displacement pump targeted to improve rural water supplies. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part A: Journal of Power and Energy 2007, 221(8), 1163-1171.