Dr Padraig Lyons
Lecturer in Power Systems
- Telephone: +44 (191) 2087326
- Address: E3.18
School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE1 7RU, UK
Dr Lyons joined Newcastle University in July 2013 and is a Lecturer in Power Systems.
His research is focussed on the challenges and solutions for onshore and offshore electrical networks predicated by the anticipated growth in low and zero carbon technologies such as PV, wind generation, electric vehicles and heat pumps.
Previously, he was a senior smart grids researcher at Newcastle and Durham Universities where he lead the network flexibility trial design and analysis for the Customer Led Network Revolution(CLNR) which is the largest UK smart grid project thus far.
He also has industrial experience at ESBI, Ireland as primary design engineer and protection and at TNEI Services Ltd., UK as a senior consultant in power systems analysis.
He received his B.E. degree in electrical and electronic engineering and an MEng.Sc degree in electrical engineering (range extender hybrid electric vehicles) from University College Cork, Cork, Ireland in 1999 and 2002 respectively. He received his Ph.D. degree from Durham University, Durham, UK, 2010. His doctoral research was in the area of centralised and distributed control of distributed energy resources, using hardware (laboratory) and software simulation, in future LV networks.
Dr Lyons is a chartered engineer.
ResearchPádraig is a member of the Electrical Power research group and his profile can be viewed on Google Scholar.
- Sayfutdinov T, Lyons PF, Feeney M. Laboratory evaluation of a deterministic optimal power flow algorithm using power hardware in the loop. In: CIRED Workshop 2016. 2016, Helsinki, Sweden: CIRED.
- Neaimeh M, Wardle R, Jenkins A, Hill GA, Lyons P, Yi J, Huebner Y, Blythe PT, Taylor P. A probabilistic approach to combining smart meter and electric vehicle charging data to investigate distribution network impacts. Applied Energy 2015, 157, 688-698.
- Lyons PF, Wade NS, Jiang T, Taylor PC, Hashiesh F, Michel M, Miller D. Design and analysis of electrical energy storage demonstration projects on UK distribution networks. Applied Energy 2015, 137, 677-691.
- Yi J, Lyons PF, Davison PJ, Wang P, Taylor PC. Robust Scheduling Scheme for Energy Storage to Facilitate High Penetration of Renewables. IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy 2015, 7(2), 797-807.
- Wang P, Liang DH, Yi J, Lyons PF, Davison PJ, Taylor PC. Integrating Electrical Energy Storage Into Coordinated Voltage Control Schemes for Distribution Networks. IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid 2014, 5(2), 1018-1032.
- Hollingworth D, Mukherjee R, Hodges G, Miller D, Lyons PF. A network planning and design decision support tool for integration of low carbon technologies and solutions. In: CIRED 2013, International Conference on Electricity Distribution. 2013, Stockholm, Sweden: IEEE.
- Lyons P, Taylor PC, Hetherington R, Miller D, Hollingworth D, Roberts D. Programmatic Smart Grid Trial Design Development and Analysis Methodology. In: 22nd International Conference on Electricity Distribution (CIRED 2013). 2013, Stockholm, Sweden: IEEE.
- Wang P, Yi J, Lyons P, Liang D, Taylor P, Miller D, Baker J. Customer Led Network Revolution - Integrating Renewable Energy into LV Networks using Energy Storage. In: CIRED Workshop. 2012, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Hollingworth D, Lyons PF, Birch A, Miller D. Demonstrating enhanced automatic voltage control for today's low carbon network. In: CIRED 2012 Workshop: Integration of Renewables into the Distribution Grid. 2012, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Yi J, Wang P, Taylor PC, Davison PJ, Lyons PF, Liang D, Brown S, Roberts D. Distribution network voltage control using energy storage and demand side response. In: 3rd IEEE PES International Conference and Exhibition on Innovative Smart Grid Technologies (ISGT Europe). 2012, Berlin, Germany: IEEE.
- Lyons P, Trichakis P, Taylor P, Coates G. A Practical Implementation of a Distributed Control Approach for Microgrids. Intelligent Automation & Soft Computing 2010, 16(2), 319-334.
- Cipcigan L, Taylor P, Lyons P. A dynamic virtual power station model comprising small-scale energy zones. International Journal of Renewable Energy Technology 2009, 1(2), 173-191.
- Trichakis P, Taylor PC, Lyons PF, Hair R. Transforming Low Voltage Networks Into Small Scale Energy Zones. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers, Journal of Energy 2009, 162(1), 37 - 46.
- Taylor PC, Jupe SCE, Trichakis P, Michiorri A, Lyons PF. Active MV and LV Distribution networks. In: CIGRE NGN. 2008, Paris, France.
- Cipcigan L, Taylor PC, Lyons PF. Evaluation and mitigation of low voltage network thermal constraints. In: IASTED 2008. 2008, Baltimore, MD, USA.
- Trichakis P, Taylor PC, Lyons PF, Hair R, Coates G. P. Trichakis, P. Taylor, P.F. Lyons, R. Hair, and G. Coates, “An agent based control approach for Microgrids. In: PowerGrid 08. 2008, Milan, Italy.
- Trichakis P, Taylor PC, Lyons PF, Hair R. Predicting the technical impacts of high levels of small-scale embedded generators on low-voltage networks. IET Renewable Power Generation 2008, 2(4), 249-262.
- Trichakis P, Taylor PC, Cipcigan L, Lyons PF, Hair R, Ma T. An Investigation of Voltage Unbalance in Low Voltage Distribution Networks with High Levels of SSEG. In: 41st Universities Power Engineering Conference, UPEC 2006. 2006, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK.
- Lyons PF, Taylor PC, Cipcigan L, Trichakis P, Wilson A. Small Scale Energy Zones and the Impacts of High Concentrations of Small Scale Embedded Generators. In: 41st Universities Power Engineering Conference, UPEC 2006. 2006, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK.