Dr John Challis
Teaching Fellow in Creative Writing
- Address: Newcastle Centre for the Literary Arts
School of English Literature, Language and Linguistics
Newcastle upon Tyne
John Challis is a Research Associate and Teaching Fellow at Newcastle University.
His debut pamphlet of poems is The Black Cab (Poetry Salzburg, 2017)
He is a recipient of a Northern Writers’ Award and a Pushcart Prize, and his poems have appeared on BBC Radio 4, and widely in journals and magazines including Magma, The North, Poetry London, Poetry Salzburg Review, The Rialto, Stand and Under the Radar.
His debut play, The Next Train to Depart premiered at Queen's Hall Arts Centre, Hexham, in 2014. In 2015 he was selected by the Poetry Trust as one of the Aldeburgh Eight, the same year he also served as Poet-in-Residence at the Northern Poetry Library.
He also writes reviews for The Poetry School.
In the academic year 2017/18 John will teach on the following modules:
SEL2216: Poetry, Prose and Script Workshop (Poetry Strand)
SEL3333: File of Original Literary Work (Poetry Strand)
SEL8641: Introduction to the Craft of Writing
John holds and a PhD in Creative Writing from Newcastle University for a thesis entitled The Knowledge: A Collection of Poems, and The Poem Noir: Film Noir in Contemporary Poetry.
His current research interests include Cotemporary British, Irish and American Poetry, and Creative Practice
- Challis John. The Black Cab. Salzburg: Poetry Salzburg, 2017.
- Challis John. Two poems: The moth collector and This is the market. The North 2017. The Poetry Business, 58. In Press.
- Challis J. Three poems: Cabbie's Creed, In Praise of the Flood, Hansard. Poetry Salzburg Review 2017. Poetry Salzburg, 31. In Press.
- Challis J. Two poems: Things can only get better and Pillbox. The Rialto 2017. The Rialto, 88.
- Challis J. Two poems: North Casades and in my heart. Poetry London 2017. Poetry London, 86.
- Challis J. Two poems: Fish n Chips and Hail. Under the Radar 2016. Nine Arches Press.
- Challis J. Shadow Cabinet. In: W.N. Herbert; Andy Jackson, ed. New Boots and Pantisocracies. Smokestack Books, 2016.
- Challis J. The Rectors of Rame. In: Fr. Oliver Brennan, Todd Swift, ed. The Poet's Quest for God. Eyewear Publishing, 2016.
- Challis J. The Guilty. In: Helen Eastman, ed. 154. Live Cannon, 2016.
- Challis J. Advertising. In: Bill Henderson, ed. The Pushcart Prize Xl 2016: Best of the Small Presses. W. W. Norton & Company, 2015.
- Challis J. The Love. Poetry London 2015. Poetry London, 82.
- Challis J. B-Road Lay By. The Rialto 2015. The Rialto, 83.
- Challis J. Two poems: The Knowledge and Hansard. BBC Radio 4 2014. BBC.