Dr SJ Hannahs
Reader in Linguistics
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 3400
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 8708
- Address: Linguistics/SELLL
Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 7RU
PhD in Linguistics, University of Delaware
MA in Conference Interpretation, Monterey Institute of International Studies (California)
University of Durham, 1993-2004 (Lecturer, Senior Lecturer)
Member, AHRC Peer Review College
My research interests include theoretical phonology, morphology and morphophonology, in particular concerning questions of prosodic structure. I have further interests in bilingualism and language contact, especially with regard to grammatical influences of contact. My primary focus has been on Celtic, Germanic and Romance linguistics.
My current work focuses on the phonology, morphology and morphophonological interaction in modern colloquial Welsh.
I particularly welcome research students wanting to focus on phonology and phonological structure, morphophonology, and morphology, as well as on grammatical aspects of language contact.
I currently supervise a number of PhD students and have supervised PhD and MA (research) students working in theoretical phonology and morphology, cognition (with focus on linguistic relativism), and language learning.
PhDs completed under my supervision
Hamid, Twana, 2016: The prosodic phonology of Central Kurdish. Examiners: Sam Hellmuth (York) & Danielle Turton (Newcastle)
Hwaidi, Tamader, 2015: Syllable structure and syllabification in Al’ain Libyan Arabic. Examiners: Janet Watson (Leeds) & Damien Hall (Newcastle)
Li, Ying. 2015: The perception of English phonemic contrasts by Chinese speakers. Examiners: Valerie Hazan (University College London) & Ghada Khattab (Newcastle)
Choi, Jaehyeok. 2014: Vowel reduction and consonant lenition in the history of English. Examiners: Mike Davenport (Durham) & Joel Wallenberg (Newcastle)
AlQahtani, Mufleh. 2014: A contrastive analysis of the syllable structure in Najdi and Hijazi Arabic. Examiners: Nancy Kula (Essex) & Anders Holmberg (Newcastle)
Elramli, Yousef. 2012: Assimilation in the Phonology of a Libyan Arabic Dialect: A Constraint-based Approach. Examiners: Janet Watson (Salford) & Anders Holmberg (Newcastle).
Mangrio, Riaz Ahmed. 2011 : Morphological adaptation of English loans in Urdu . Examiners: Andrew Caink (Westminster) & William van der Wurff (Newcastle)
Thorp, Ben. 2011: Stress in Nuuchaanulth: placement and implications.Examiners: Emmon Bach (SOAS) & Ricardo Bermúdez-Otero (Manchester)
Ramasamy, Mohana Dass, 2010: Topics in the morphophonology of Standard Spoken Tamil. Examiners: Elinor Keane (Oxford) & Martha Young-Scholten (Newcastle)
Soutsane, Karima, 2008: Syllabification and phonological rule application in Tashlhiyt Berber. Examiners: Mike Davenport (Durham) & Patrick Honeybone (Edinburgh)
Pourcel, Stéphanie, 2005: Testing linguistic relativity: language and cognition relative to path and motion events. Examiners: Randal Holme (Durham) & Chris Sinha (Portsmouth)
Al-Fuhaid, Mohammad, 2004: Vocabulary learning strategies with reference to Arabic-speaking L2 English learners. Examiners: Paul Starkey (Durham) & Francis Jones (Newcastle)
Bosisio, Nicole, 2004: The behaviour of vocoids, with special reference to Italian and Arabic. Examiners: Mike Davenport (Durham) & Martin Maiden (Oxford)
Masa’deh, Orieb, 2003: The application of the theory of norms to translations of international treaties: a case study of the Jordan-Israeli Peace Treaty. Examiners: James Dickins (Durham) & Stephen Thomas (Manchester)
- Member, Arts & Humanities Research Council (AHRC) Peer Review College
- LinguistList Advisory Panel member: www.linguistlist.org
- Manchester Phonology Meeting (mfm) Advisory Board member: www.englang.ed.ac.uk/mfm/mfm.html
- PhD External Examiner, including Durham University, University of Essex, University of Salford, University of Sussex, University of Tromsø, Newcastle University, University of Azad Jammu & Kashmir
- External Examiner (UG), Lancaster University, 2011-2015
- External Examiner (UG), University of Sussex, 2008-2012
- External Examiner (UG), University of Wolverhampton, 2002-2006
SEL2000 - Phonological theory
SEL3006 - Topics in phonological theory
SEL8154 - Issues in phonological theory I
SEL8205 - Issues in phonological theory II
- Hannahs SJ, Bosch ARK, ed. The Routledge Handbook of Phonological Theory. Routledge, 2016. In Preparation.
- Hannahs SJ. Phonology. In: Braber, Natalie, Cummings, Louise and Morrish, Liz, ed. Exploring Language and Linguistics. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2015, pp.56-76.
- Hannahs SJ. Celtic initial mutation: pattern extraction and subcategorisation. Word Structure 2013, 6(1), 1-20.
- Hannahs SJ. The Phonology of Welsh. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2013.
- Hannahs SJ. Celtic Mutations. In: van Oostendorp, M., Ewen, C.J., Hume, E.v., Rice, K, ed. Blackwell Companion to Phonology. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell, 2011, pp.2807-2830.
- Hannahs SJ. Unity in Diversity in Welsh: The Avoidance of Sonority Sequencing Violations. In: Carnie, A, ed. Formal Approaches to Celtic Linguistics. Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2011, pp.359-374.
- Davenport M, Hannahs SJ. Introducing Phonetics & Phonology. London: Hodder Education, 2010.
- Hannahs SJ. Welsh svarabhakti: sonority sequencing and foot structure. Journal of Celtic Linguistics 2009, 13(1), 21-44.
- Hannahs SJ. Constraining Welsh vowel mutation. Journal of Linguistics 2007, 43(2), 341-363.
- Hannahs SJ. French phonology and L2 acquisition. In: Ayoun, D, ed. French Applied Linguistics. Amsterdam/Philadelphia: John Benjamins Publishing Company, 2007, pp.50-74.
- Hannahs SJ. Welsh vowel mutation : an optimality analysis. Newcastle upon Tyne: School of English Literature, Language and Linguistics, Newcastle University, 2007. Newcastle Working Papers in Linguistics 12 & 13.
- Hannahs SJ, Tallerman M. At the interface: Selection of the Welsh definite article. Linguistics 2006, 44(4), 781-816.
- Davenport M, Hannahs SJ. Introducing Phonetics & Phonology. London/New York: Hodder Arnold/OUP, 2005.
- Hannahs SJ. Malagasy infixing reduplication. Durham Working Papers in Linguistics 2004, 10, 45-59.
- Hannahs SJ. Morphophonology. In: Smelser, NJ: Baltes, PB, ed. International Encyclopedia of the Social & Behavioral Sciences : Volume 15. Amsterdam: Elsevier Science Ltd, 2001, pp.10053-10058.
- Hannahs SJ. OT and English inflectional allomorphy. Durham Working Papers in Linguistics 2001, 7, 39-48.
- Hannahs SJ, Davenport M, ed. Issues in Phonological Structure: Papers from the International Workshop on Phonological Structure, University of Durham, September 1994. Amsterdam/Philadelphia: John Benjamins, 1999.
- Davenport M, Hannahs SJ. Introducing Phonetics & Phonology. London/New York: Arnold/OUP, 1998.
- Young-Scholten M, Hannahs SJ. Current issues in the first and second language acquisition of phonology. In: Hannahs, SJ; Young-Scholten, M, ed. Focus on Phonological Acquistion. Amsterdam/Philadelphia: John Benjamins, 1997, pp.1-16.
- Hannahs SJ, Young-Scholten M, ed. Focus on Phonological Acquisition. Amsterdam/Philadelphia: John Benjamins, 1997.
- Hannahs SJ, Stotko EM. The non-isomorphism of phonological and morphological structure: evidence from acquistion. In: Hannahs, SJ; Young-Scholten, M, ed. Focus on Phonological Acquisition. John Benjamins North America Inc.,US, 1997, pp.165-180.
- Hannahs SJ. Phonological Structure and Soft Mutation in Welsh. In: Kleinhenz, U, ed. Interfaces in Phonology. Berlin: Akademie Verlag, 1996, pp.46-59.
- Hannahs SJ. Glide formation, prefixation and the phonological word in French. In: Amastae, Jon, Goodall, Grant, Montalbetti, Mario and Phinney, Marianne, ed. Contemporary Research in Romance Linguistics. Amsterdam/Philadelphia: John Benjamins, 1995, pp.13-24.
- Hannahs SJ. Prosodic Structure and French Morphophonology. Tübingen: Niemeyer, 1995.
- Hannahs SJ. The phonological word in French. Linguistics 1995, 33(6), 1125-1144.