Doctoral Student in Linguistics
- Professor Maggie Tallerman
- Dr Joel Wallenberg
Multifunctional TMA Verbs in Kuwaiti Arabic
My research covers a number of understudied temporal, aspectual and modal verbs in Kuwaiti Arabic, that have both lexical and functional uses in different contexts. It aims to give a detailed description of their structural behaviours in Kuwaiti Arabic specifically. Comparative investigation of their functions with Standard Arabic and other dialects could shed new light on the Arabic-specific properties of auxiliaries and serial verb constructions, in addition to their different grammaticalization patterns. Furthermore, guided by the cartographic approach to the clause, it will aim to describe the cartography of the inflectional domain in Kuwaiti Arabic with respect to the investigated functional verbs.
Arabic Syntax, morphology and semantics. My main interest is historical Arabic linguistics alongside syntactic change and variation within Arabic dialects.
- Syntax Reading groups in 2014 - 2016
- Organiser, 11th Newcastle PG conference in Linguistics (2016)
- Organiser, 10th Newcastle PG conference in Linguistics (2015)
- Representative, HASS Postgraduate Staff Student Committee (2015-2016)
- MA in Arabic Language and Literature, Kuwait University, 2010
- BA in Arabic Language and Literature, Kuwait University, 2006