IPhD student in Linguistics
Supervisors: Prof Anders Holmberg; Dr Geoffrey Poole
[A-bar movement in Jordanian Arabic]
I am investigating instantiations of A-bar movement in the Arabic spoken in Jordan (i.e. Jordanian Arabic) with a particular focus on subject/object extraction and the asymmetries between clausal complements of factive vs. nonfactive predicates. I am also interested in the phenomenon of agreeing complementizers and the challenges such elements pose to current syntax theory. I am using the cartography approach (Rizzi 1997, 2006, 2014, Cinque 1999, Belletti 2004, Rizzi and Shlonsky 2007 and other related work) to the left periphery and (low) IP area. Additionally, Phase Theory (Chomsky 2001, 2007) and the feature-based approach to locality (Starke 2001) are also used to account for certain constraints on A-bar movement instances or lack thereof.
I am interested in syntactic theory and natural language typology. I have also some interest in Phonological Theory (i.e. Optimality Theory) and Pragmatic Theory (i.e. Relevance Theory).
- Jarrah, M ‘A Criterial Freezing Approach to Subject Extraction in Jordanian Arabic’, to appear in Canadian Journal of Linguistics/Revue canadienne de linguistique
- Jarrah, M. and Alshamari, M. ‘Syntax of the evidential particle ʃikil and T0-object agreement in Jordanian Arabic’ to appear in Italian Journal of Linguistics / Rivista di Linguistica
- Jarrah M. and Zibin, A. (2016) ‘Syntactic investigation of nunation in Haili Arabic’. Sky Journal of Linguistics, 29
- Jarrah, M. (2016) ‘Weightlessness Preservation in Jordanian Arabic Varieties: A Stratal OT Analysis’. Newcastle and Northumbria Working Papers in Linguistics 22.
- Al-Jarrah, R. S., Abu Dalu, A. M., & Jarrah, M. ‘A relevance–theoretical account of three Arabic pragmatic operators of concession in a political discourse’. Lodz Papers in Pragmatics. 11: 51-76.
Conferences (Oral Presentations)
- ‘Remarks on Φ-feature inheritance and Phase Theory’ to be presented inThe 12th Conference of AIDA (Association Internationale de Dialectologie Arabe) at Aix Marseille University, France, May 30- June 2, 2017
- ‘Passive VPs as phases in Jordanian Arabic’ to be presented in Cambridge conference on Voice (CamVoice) at University of Cambridge, UK, May, 22-24 May 2017.
- ‘Agree manifestations in Arabic’ to be presented inThe Annual Manchester Forum in Linguistics (mFiL). The University of Manchester, UK. on 28-29 April 2017
- ‘Intervention effects in embedded clauses in Jordanian Arabic’ to be presented in the 12th Newcastle upon Tyne Postgraduate Conference in Linguistics (Newcastle University, UK). 31th March.
- ‘Tº-Φ parameter and agreeing complementizer in Jordanian Arabic’, presented in The Second Arabic Linguistics Forum conference (University of York, UK). 12th to 14th December
- ‘A Criterial Freezing approach to subject extraction in Some Arabic varieties’, presented in The 46th Poznań Linguistic Meeting (PLM 2016). Adam Mickiewicz University. Poznan, Poland. From 15th – 17th September.
- ‘Subject extraction in Jordanian Arabic: A Criterial Freezing approach’, presented in 9th Days of Swiss Linguistics. University of Geneva, Geneva. Switzerland. from 29th June – 1st July
- MA in Theoretical Linguistics (Yarmouk University, Jordan, 2012).
- BA in English Language and Literature (Yarmouk University, Jordan, 2007).