Wave and tidal
Wave and tidal energy
Newcastle University has particular strengths in wave and tidal energy. Staff are currently carrying out research in the following areas:
- producing tools for the design and development of floating offshore energy devices (stability analysis; mooring analysis and design; structural reliability);
- tidal turbine optimisation based on propeller know how;
- bio-fouling in marine facilities;
- participation in the development of commercial marine renewable devices e.g. Stingray, Tidel, Oceantecs;
- environmental impact of offshore renewable energy farms.
- Wind/current/wave tank - 15m;
- tow tank - 40m;
- cavitation tunnel - best in the UK for wind testing;
- micro-biological effects in seawater systems.