Dr Andrew Naylor
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 4910
- Address: School of Engineering
Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 7RU
Andrew conducted his PhD research in the field of wood machining in collaboration with SNA Europe (the manufacturers of BAHCO® handsaws). Upon completing his PhD studies he took a sabbatical from academia, working instead as a development engineer for British Engines. After leaving this post he returned to academia working as a research associate within the school and is now a lecturer. As well teaching at the Newcastle campus, he is also affiliated with the Mechanical Design and Manufacturing BEng programme taught at Newcastle University International Singapore.
PhD, Northumbria University, UK
BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering, Northumbria University, UK
Member of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers
2012: Awarded the prize for best doctoral paper at the 10th International Conference on Manufacturing Research, Aston University, 11-13 September
2012 (and again in 2015): Awarded the Thomas Andrew Common Prize by the IMechE
- The machinability of heterogeneous, anisotropic materials (wood, bone, rock etc.).
- Testing and evaluation of artificial joint prostheses.
- Pedagogy and Andragogy.
- Wilkinson SJ, Naylor A, Goh KL. Digital image analysis protocol for determining the radiocarpal joint space in the rheumatoid arthritic wrist. Computers in Biology and Medicine 2017, 89, 127-134.
- Naylor A, Huo D, Hackney PM, Perera N. Operational performance of individual handsaw teeth. In: 23rd International Wood Machining Seminar. 2017, Warsaw, Poland.
- Naylor A, Bone MC, Giddins G, Talwalkar SC, Trail IA, Joyce TJ. A comparison of ex vivo, in vitro tested, and unused pyrolytic carbon prostheses. In: Proceedings of the Combined Meeting of the Australian Hand Surgery Society and the American Society for Surgery of the Hand. 2016, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia: AHSS & ASSH.
- Naylor A, Talwalkar SC, Trail IA, Joyce TJ. Evaluating the Surface Topography of Pyrolytic Carbon Finger Prostheses through Measurement of Various Roughness Parameters. Journal of Functional Biomaterials 2016, 7(2).
- Scholes SC, Colledge CJ, Naylor A, Mahdi MH, Smith AM, Joyce TJ. Potential synthetic biolubricant as an alternative to bovine serum. Lubricants 2016, 4(4), 38.
- Naylor A, Bone MC, Talwalkar SC, Trail IA, Giddins G, Joyce TJ. Topographical evaluation of pyrolytic carbon finger prostheses. In: Engineering the Upper Limb. 2016, London, UK: Institution of Mechanical Engineers.
- Bone MC, Naylor A, Langton DJ, Joyce TJ. Analysis of a surface engineered metal-on-metal hip resurfacing: A case study. In: Hip Surgery: A Joint Engineering and Surgical Challenge. 2015, London, UK: Institution of Mechanical Engineers.
- Naylor A, Trail IA, Talwalkar SC, Joyce TJ. Evaluating the articulating surface roughness of new pyrocarbon proximal interphalangeal prostheses. In: British Society for Surgery of the Hand: Proceedings of the Autumn Scientific Meeting. 2015, London, UK: British Society for Surgery of the Hand.
- Naylor A, Talwalkar SC, Trail IA, Joyce TJ. In Vitro Wear Testing of a CoCr-UHMWPE Finger Prosthesis with Hydroxyapatite Coated CoCr Stems. Lubricants 2015, 3(2), 244-255.
- Naylor A, Trail IA, Joyce TJ. In vitro wear testing of the MatOrtho® PIPR™ prosthesis. In: 25th Congress of the International Society of Biomechanics. 2015, Glasgow, UK.
- Naylor A, Bone MC, Unsworth A, Talwalkar SC, Trail IA, Joyce TJ. In vitro wear testing of the PyroCarbon proximal interphalangeal joint replacement: Five million cycles of flexion and extension. Journal of Engineering in Medicine 2015, 229(5), 362-368.
- Naylor A. Can Wood be used as a Bio-mechanical Substitute for Bone during Evaluation of Surgical Machining Tools?. BioResources 2014, 9(4), 5778-5781.
- Naylor A. Evaluating the cutting mechanics of woodworking hand-saw teeth. International Journal of Materials, Mechanics and Manufacturing 2014, 2(2), 113-116.
- Naylor A, Bone MC, Unsworth A, Talwalkar S, Trail IA, Joyce TJ. Evaluating the wear and surface roughness of pyrocarbon finger prostheses tested in vitro. In: 10th Anniversary Bath Biomechanics Symposium: Current Issues and Future Opportunities in Orthopaedic Research. 2014, University of Bath: The Centre for Innovative Manufacturing in Medical Devices.
- Naylor A, Bone MC, Talwalkar SC, Unsworth A, Trail IA, Joyce TJ. In vitro testing of pyrolytic carbon proximal interphalangeal prostheses. In: British Society for Surgery of the Hand: Proceedings of the Spring Scientific Meeting. 2014, Gateshead, UK: British Society for Surgery of the Hand.
- Naylor A, Hackney P. A review of wood machining literature with a special focus on sawing. BioResources 2013, 8(2), 3122-3135.
- Naylor A, Hackney P, Perera N, Clahr E. A predictive model for the cutting force in wood machining developed using mechanical properties. BioResources 2012, 7(3), 2883-2894.
- Naylor A, Hackney P, Perera N. Determination of wood strength properties through standard test procedures. In: ICMR 2012: 10th International Conference on Manufacturing Research. 2012, Aston University, Birmingham, UK.
- Naylor A, Hackney P, Perera N. Evaluation of handsaw tooth performance through the development of a controlled cutting test rig. In: ICMR 2012: 10th International Conference on Manufacturing Research. 2012, Aston University, Birmingham, UK.
- Naylor A. Utilisation of single tooth procedures to establish the cutting mechanics of woodworking hand-saw teeth. The University of Northumbria at Newcastle, 2012. Thesis.
- Naylor A, Hackney P, Clahr E. Machining of wood using a Rip Tooth: effects of work-piece variations on cutting mechanics. In: 20th International Wood Machining seminar. 2011, Skellefteå, Sweden.