Dr Andrew Smallbone
Principal Research Associate
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 0191 208 4954
- Personal Website: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/energy
- Address: Sir Joseph Swan Centre for Energy Research
Newcastle upon Tyne
Andrew is a Principal Research Associate in the Swan Centre for Energy Research. He is responsible for the management of staff and supervision of research students working on across the centre’s multi-million pound research portfolio.
Andrew is currently the Principal Investigator on the £2.5m EPSRC funded CCSInSupply project and a Research Investigator on the £25m Centre for Energy Systems Integration (CESI). He is also a co-Investigator on an Innovate UK project on a free-piston engine range-extender and a H2020 project (H-DisNet) on a thermo-chemical district heating networks. He is currently supporting MEP Bogusław Liberadzki in the European Parliament through the MEP-Scientist pairing scheme.
Previously Andrew was Chief Technical Officer at CMCL Innovations in Cambridge and was responsible for developing multiple engineering software simulation tools currently used worldwide for internal combustion engine and future fuel development.
Andrew graduated from the University of Southampton in 1999 with a Mechanical Engineering degree. He then completed an M.Sc. in Combustion and Energy and then a PhD from the University of Leeds. Andrew then went on to a Post Doctoral Research Fellowship at the University of Kyushu, Japan at the 21st Century Center of Excellence. He then went on to be Research Staff at Princeton University, U.S.
Senior Research Associate, University of Newcastle, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, U.K.
Chief Technical Officer, cmcl innovations, Cambridge, U.K.
Chief Technical Officer, Reaction Engineering Solutions Ltd., Cambridge, U.K.
Visiting Research Collaborator, Department of Chemical Engineering and Biotechnology, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, U.K.
Professional Research Staff Member, Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey, U.S.
Post-doctoral Research Associate, Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey, U.S.
Center of Excellence (CoE) Post-doctoral Fellow, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Kyushu, Japan.
Research Assistant, University of Leeds, Leeds, U.K.
Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering, University of Leeds, Leeds, U.K.
M.Sc. Combustion and Energy, University of Leeds, Leeds, U.K.
B.Eng. (Hons.) Mechanical Engineering, University of Southampton, Southampton, U.K.
Principal Investigator, National Centre for Pumped Heat Energy Storage (PHES), £1.05m, Energy Technologies Institute & Newcastle University, 2016-2018.
Principal Investigator, Developing low-emission internal combustion engines using the next-generation of cloud computing facilitated models, £84k, EPSRC ICASE Award Studentship, 2016-2020.
Principal Investigator, CCS from Industrial clusters and their Supply chains (CCSInSupply), £2.5m, Engineering and Physical Sciences Council (EP/N024567/1), U.K., 2016-2019.
Co-Investigator, H-DisNet: Hybrid Thermo-chemical District Heating Networks, €2.7m, Horizon 2020 (grant agreement 695780), 2016-2019.
Co-Investigator, Unlocking the potential of a free-piston engine range extender, £200k, Low Carbon Vehicle Integrated Delivery Program (IDP12), Innovate UK/EPSRC (ref= 132233), U.K., 2016-2018.
Co-Investigator, Demonstrating industrial opportunities in waste heat recovery, £84k, EPSRC Impact Acceleration Award (EP/K503885/1), 2016.
Co-Investigator, Techno-economic analysis at Moyle interconnector site, EPSRC Impact Acceleration Award (EP/K503885/1), 2016.
Co-investigator, Scroll-type energy regeneration and waste heat recovery system for vehicles, Royal Society (ref=19078), 2016-2018.
Co-Investigator, Laser Doppler Velocimetry (LDV & PDA) Capital Equipment Award, £350k, Engineering and Physical Sciences Council, U.K., 2015.
Co-Investigator, Feasibility investigation of a Free Piston Engine - Gas Turbine System for power generation applications, EPSRC Impact Acceleration Award (EP/K503885/1), 2015.
Researcher, Free-piston engine project, European Regional Development Fund, 2012-2015.
Principal Investigator, ACER: Accessing Cloud for Emissions Reduction, FP7 Cloud based Simulation platform for Manufacturing and Engineering project, 2015-2016.
Principal Investigator, ProtoDrive: Method for the Rapid Design of Efficient Hybrid Vehicle Drivelines, Technology-Inspired Innovation (Big Data Section), Innovate UK (ref=101505), U.K., 2013-2015.
Co-Investigator, K2: Coupling of Real World Data and Fast Response Algorithms to Improve Simulation Correlations and Optimise Construction Machine Performance, ICT for Manufacturing and Construction, Technology Strategy Board (ref=101146), U.K., 2012-2014.
Co-Investigator, TESBiC: Techno-economic study of Biomass to CSS, Energy Technology Institute, U.K., 2011.
Co-Investigator, LiLa: Library of Labs – Dissemination of Remote and Virtual Laboratories for Natural Sciences and Engineering, European funding FP7, 2008.
Researcher, Structure and Response of Spherical Diffusion Flames (s-Flame), National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), US, 2008.
Awards and Recognitions
SAE Industry Innovator Award, Society of Automotive Engineers, World Congress, Detroit, April 2011.
Royal Academy of Engineering Travel Award, Royal Academy of Engineering, August 2010.
SAE Industry Innovator Award, Society of Automotive Engineers, World Congress, Detroit, April 2010.
Automotive Engineering International Technology Award, April 2010.
Combustion Institute (British Section) Travel Award, August 2008.
NASA Fellowship, Princeton, U.S., 2008.
Global Center of Excellence Post-doctoral Fellowship, Kyushu, Japan, 2006.
Global Center of Excellence Post-doctoral Fellowship, Kyushu, Japan, 2005.
EPSRC Award for better public understanding, 2003.
EPSRC PhD Studentship, 2000.
EPSRC Scholarship for a Master of Science in Combustion and Energy, 1999.
Member of the Combustion Institute
- Jia B, Wang Y, Smallbone AJ, Roskilly AP. Analysis of the Scavenging Process of a Two-Stroke Free-Piston Engine Based on the Selection of Scavenging Ports or Valves. Energies 2018, 11(2), 324.
- Bohl T, Smallbone AJ, Tian G, Roskilly AP. Particulate number and NOx trade-off comparisons between HVO and mineral diesel in HD applications. Fuel 2018, 215, 90-101.
- Jia B, Zuo Z, Smallbone A, Feng H, Roskilly AP. A Decoupled Design Parameter Analysis for Free-Piston Engine Generators. Energies 2017, 10(4), 486.
- Giampieri A, Buchholz M, Geyer P, Bucholz R, Engel C, Royapoor M, Smallbone A, Roskilly T. Application cases and economic benefits of Thermo-Chemical Networks. In: 4th Sustainable Thermal Energy Management International Conference (SusTEM2017). 2017, Alkmaar, The Netherlands.
- Lu YJ, Roskilly AP, Smallbone A, Yu XL, Wang YD. Design and Parametric Study of an Organic Rankine Cycle using a Scroll Expander for Engine Waste Heat Recovery. Energy Procedia 2017, 105, 1420-1425.
- Nanda SK, Jia BR, Smallbone A, Roskilly AP. Development of a Diesel Engine Thermal Overload Monitoring System with Applications and Test Results. Energies 2017, 10(7), 830.
- Jia BR, Smallbone A, Mikalsen R, Feng HH, Zuo ZX, Roskilly AP. Disturbance analysis of a free-piston engine generator using a validated fast-response numerical model. Applied Energy 2017, 185(Part 1), 440-451.
- Zhang ZC, Lu YJ, Ren HL, Roskilly AP, Chen LF, Smallbone A, Wang YD. Experimental and Numerical Investigation on the Macroscopic Characteristics of Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil (HVO) Spray. Energy Procedia 2017, 142, 474-480.
- Nanda SK, Jia B, Smallbone AJ, Roskilly AP. Fundamental Analysis of Thermal Overload in Diesel Engines: Hypothesis and Validation. Energies 2017, 10(3), 329.
- Nanda SK, Jia B, Smallbone A, Roskilly AP. Investigation on the Effect of the Gas Exchange Process on the Diesel Engine Thermal Overload with Experimental Results. Energies 2017, 10(6), 766.
- Smallbone AJ, Jülch V, Wardle R, Roskilly AP. Levelised Cost of Storage for Pumped Heat Energy Storage in comparison with other energy storage technologies. Energy Conversion and Management 2017, 152, 221-228.
- Bohl T, Tian G, Smallbone A, Roskilly AP. Macroscopic spray characteristics of next-generation bio-derived diesel fuels in comparison to mineral diesel. Applied Energy 2017, 186(Part 3), 562–573.
- Lu YJ, Roskilly AP, Yu XL, Tang K, Jiang L, Smallbone A, Chen LF, Wang YD. Parametric study for small scale engine coolant and exhaust heat recovery system using different Organic Rankine cycle layouts. Applied Thermal Engineering 2017, 127, 1252-1266.
- Bhave A, Taylor RHS, Fennell P, Livingston WR, Shah N, Mac Dowell N, Dennis J, Kraft M, Pourkashanian M, Insa M, Jones J, Burdett N, Bauen A, Beal C, Smallbone A, Akroyd J. Screening and techno-economic assessment of biomass-based power generation with CCS technologies to meet 2050 CO2 targets. Applied Energy 2017, 190, 481-489.
- Lu YJ, Jiang L, Roskilly AP, Li Z, Yu XL, Smallbone AJ. Study of engine waste heat recovery using Organic Rankine cycle integrated with latent heat storage system. In: 4th Sustainable Thermal Energy Management International Conference. 2017, Netherlands.
- Al-Mutairi A, Smallbone A, Al-Salem SM, Roskilly AP. The first carbon atlas of the state of Kuwait. Energy 2017, 133, 317-326.
- Jia B, Smallbone A, Feng H, Tian GH, Zuo ZX, Roskilly AP. A fast response free-piston engine generator numerical model for control applications. Applied Energy 2016, 162, 321-329.
- Sarai Atab M, Smallbone AJ, Roskilly AP. An operational and economic study of a reverse osmosis desalination system for potable water and land irrigation. Desalination 2016, 397, 174-184.
- Jia BR, Smallbone A, Zuo ZX, Feng HH, Roskilly AP. Design and simulation of a two- or four-stroke free-piston engine generator for range extender applications. Energy Conversion and Management 2016, 111, 289-298.
- Jia B, Zuo Z, Feng H, Tian G, Smallbone A, Roskilly AP. Effect of closed-loop controlled resonance based mechanism to start free piston engine generator: Simulation and test results. Applied Energy 2016, 164, 532-539.
- Boru J, Mikalsen R, Smallbone A, Zuo Z, Feng H, Roskilly AP. Piston motion control of a free-piston engine generator: A new approach using cascade control. Applied Energy 2016, 179, 1166-1175.
- Lu YJ, Roskilly AP, Smallbone AJ. Recovering coolant and exhaust energy from a diesel engine using an Organic Rankine cycle (ORC). In: The 3rd Sustainable Thermal Energy Management Conference (SusTEM 2015) . 2015, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: Newcastle University.
- Smallbone A, Bhave A, Man P. High-Dimensional Sensitivity Analysis Applied at Vehicle Component and System Level in the Context of CO2 Exhaust Emissions. Society of Automotive Engineers Technical Paper 2014, SAE 2014-01-2564.
- Azadi P, Brownbridge P, Mosbach S, Smallbone AJ, Bhave A, Inderwildi OR, Kraft M. The carbon footprint and non-renewable energy demand of algae-derived biodiesel. Applied Energy 2014, 113, 1632-1644.
- Brownbridge G, Azadi P, Smallbone A, Bhave A, Taylor BJ, Kraft M. The future viability of algae-derived biodiesel under economic and technical uncertainties. Bioresource Technology 2014, 151, 166-173.
- Smallbone A, Bhave A, Morgan N, Mühlbauer W, Lorenz S, Brueggemann D. Combustion and Emissions Performance Analysis of Conventional and Future Fuels using Advanced CAE. Society of Automotive Engineers Technical Paper 2013, SAE 2013-01-2673.
- Smallbone AJ, Banton KM, Bhave AN, Akroyd J, Hillman MD, Riehl RCR, Kraft M, Morgan NM. Meeting the challenges associated with low-carbon alternative fuels through advanced CAE technologies. In: IMechE, ed. Internal Combustion Engines: Performance, Fuel Economy and Emissions. London, UK: Woodhead Publishing, 2013, pp.137-147.
- Taylor B, Xiao N, Sikorski J, Yong M, Harris T, Helme T, Smallbone A, Bhave A, Kraft M. Techno-economic assessment of carbon-negative algal biodiesel for transport solutions. Applied Energy 2013, 106, 262-274.
- Smallbone AJ, Bhave AN, Hillman M, Leung T, McDavid R, Saville A. Virtual engineering and optimization for diesel engine configurations using physics-based mapping of combustion characteristics, engine performance and emissions. In: 11th International Congress of Engine Combustion Processes: Current Problems and Modern Techniques. 2013, Ludwigsburg, Germany.
- Smallbone A, Bhave A, Hillman M, Saville A, McDavid R. Virtual Performance and Emissions Mapping for Diesel Engine Design Optimization. Society of Automotive Engineers Technical Paper 2013, SAE 2013-01-0308.
- Smallbone AJ, Bhave A. Advanced simulations of "knocking" and "mega-knocking" combustion events in highly boosted DISI engines. In: 10th International Symposium on Combustion Diagnostics. 2012, Baden-Baden Kurhaus.
- Watson R, Coble A, Bhave A, Braumann A, Smallbone A, Kraft M. Collaborative Sustainability Strategies for Online Laboratories. In: Internet Accessible Remote Laboratories: Scalable E-Learning Tools for Engineering and Science Disciplines. IGI Global, 2012.
- Smallbone A. A “physics-based” combustion and emissions tool for transient simulations. In: Engine Process Simulation and Turbocharging. 2011, Berlin, Germany.
- Brownbridge G, Smallbone A, Phadungsukanan W, Mosbach S, Kraft M, Johansson B. Automated IC Engine Model Development with Uncertainty Propagation. Society of Automotive Engineers Technical Paper 2011, SAE 2011-01-0237.
- Brownbridge G, Mosbach S, Kraft M, Smallbone A, Coble A, Bhave A. Automated parameterization of conventional 1D cycle simulation tools with advanced parametric and experimental uncertainty propagation. In: 6th IAV Conference on Design of Experiments (DoE) in Engine Development. 2011.
- Smallbone AJ, Bhave A, Coble AR, Mosbach S, Kraft M, McDavid RM. Identifying optimal operating points in terms of engineering constraints and regulated emissions in modern diesel engines. Society of Automotive Engineers Technical Paper 2011, SAE 2011-01-1388.
- Smallbone AJ, Coble AR, Bhave AN. Identifying stable, low-emission operating points in modern direct injection diesel engines using an advanced simulation tool. In: 10th International Congress of Engine Combustion Processes: Current Problems and Modern Techniques. 2011, Munich.
- Coble AR, Smallbone AJ, Bhave A, Mosbach S, Kraft M, Niven P, Amphlett S. Implementing detailed chemistry and in-cylinder stratification into 0/1-D IC engine cycle simulation tools. Society of Automotive Engineers Technical Paper 2011, SAE 2011-01-0849.
- Bhave A, Smallbone AJ, Coble AR. Integrating SRM SUITE into AVL BOOST for advanced fuels, combustion and emissions predictions in gasoline and diesel engines. In: AVL Advanced Simulation Technologies International User Conference. 2011.
- Kelley AP, Smallbone AJ, Zhu DL, Law CK. Laminar flame speeds of C5 to C8 n-alkanes at elevated pressures: Experimental determination, fuel similarity, and stretch sensitivity. Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 2011, 33(1), 963-970.
- Kelley AP, Liu W, Xin YX, Smallbone AJ, Law CK. Laminar flame speeds, non-premixed stagnation ignition, and reduced mechanisms in the oxidation of iso-octane. Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 2011, 33(1), 501-508.
- Etheridge J, Bhave A, Smallbone AJ, Coble A, Mosbach S, Kraft M. Optimisation of injection strategy, combustion characteristics and emissions for IC engines using advanced simulation technologies. Society of Automotive Engineers Technical Paper 2011, SAE 2011-26-0080.
- Smallbone A, Bhave A, Coble A, Mosbach S, Kraft M, Morgan N, Kalghatgi K. Simulating PM emissions and combustion stability in gasoline/diesel fuelled engines. Society of Automotive Engineers Technical Paper 2011, SAE 2011-01-1184.
- Coble A, Smallbone A, Bhave A, Watson R, Braumann A, Kraft M. Delivering authentic experiences for engineering students and professionals through e-labs. In: Education Engineering (EDUCON), 2010 IEEE. 2010.
- Morgan NM, Smallbone AJ, Bhave A, Kraft M, Cracknell R, Kalghatgi G. Mapping surrogate gasoline compositions into RON/MON space. Combustion and Flame 2010, 157, 1122-1131.
- Smallbone A, Bhave A, Kraft M, Dris A, McDavid R. Moving Toward Establishing More Robust and Systematic Model Development for IC Engines Using Process Informatics. Society of Automotive Engineers Technical Paper 2010, SAE 2010-01-0152.
- Smallbone A, Morgan N, Bhave A, Kraft M, Cracknell RF, Kalghatgi G. Simulating combustion of practical fuels and blends for modern engine applications using detailed chemical kinetics. Society of Automotive Engineers Technical Paper 2010, SAE 2010-01-0572.
- Kraft M, Smallbone A, Morgan N, Bhave A, Cracknell R, Kalghatgi G. A novel approach to simulating future fuel engine technologies using - tri-component surrogate mixtures. Japanese Society of Automotive Engineers Technical Paper 2009, JSAE 20095491.
- Smallbone AJ, Liu W, Law CK, You XQ, Wang H. Experimental and modeling study of laminar flame speed and non-premixed counterflow ignition of n-heptane. Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 2009, 32(1), 1245-1252.
- Smallbone A, Bhave A, Morgan N, Kraft M, Cracknell R, Kalghatgi G. Role of Fuel Sensitivity in Extending the HCCI Engine Operating Window. In: 7th International Colloquium Fuels. 2009, Stuttgart / Ostfildern, Germany.
- Kitagawa T, Smallbone A, Oonishi T. Propagation and Quench of Premixed Turbulent Flames. Society of Automotive Engineers Technical Paper 2007, SAE 2007-01-1828.
- Smallbone AJ, Kitagawa T. The Influence of Thermo-Diffusive Effects on Premixed Turbulent Flame Propagation Rates at Elevated Pressures. Proceedings of the 6th Asia-Pacific Conference on Combustion 2007.
- Smallbone AJ, Kitagawa T. Laminar Burning Velocity Measurements of Hydrogen-Air Mixtures at Elevated Pressures. Proceedings of the Japanese Society of Automotive Engineers Technical Paper 2006, 3.
- Smallbone AJ, Kitagawa T. Premixed Laminar and Turbulent Combustion: an Examination and Correlation in Terms of Lewis Number. FISITA Transactions 2006, F2006P153.
- Smallbone AJ, Tsuneyoshi K, Kitagawa T. Turbulent and Stable/Unstable Laminar Burning Velocity Measurements from Outwardly Propagating Spherical Hydrogen-Air Flames at Elevated Pressures. Journal of Thermal Science and Technology 2006, 1, 31-41.
- Smallbone AJ, Kitagawa T, Oonishi T. Unstretched laminar burning velocity estimations from unstable flames at elevated pressures. Proceedings of the Japanese Society of Automotive Engineers 2006, 91, 20065843, 15-20.
- Kitagawa T, Tsuneyoshi K, Smallbone A. The Effects of Pressure on Turbulent Burning Velocity of Premixed Flames and their Correlations with Lewis Number. 2005.
- Kitagawa T, Tsuneyoshi K, Smallbone AJ. The Effects of Pressure on Turbulent Burning Velocity of Premixed Flames and Their Correlations with Lewis Number. Society of Automotive Engineers Technical Transactions 2005, 18ICES/029.
- Burluka AA, Liu K, Sheppard CGW, Smallbone AJ, Woolley R. The Influence of Simulated Residual and NO Concentrations on Knock Onset for PRFs and Gasolines. Society of Automotive Engineers Technical Paper 2004, SAE 2004-01-2998.