Dr Emmanuel Matsika
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 8648
- Address: NewRail Research Hub,
Newcastle upon Tyne
Dr. Emmanuel Matsika is a Research Associate at NewRail. He carries out research on EU Projects aimed at improving security of passenger railway vehicles, and enhancing the performance of railway freight vehicles. By profession, he is a mechanical engineer, holding an M.Eng and B. Eng.
In 2011, he obtained a PhD in railway vehicle crashworthiness focussing his research on ‘Modelling and Experimental Testing of a Wheelchair Occupant During a Railway Vehicle Crash’.
Previously, he was a lecturer in mechanical engineering in Zambia, specialising in applied mechanics, automobile and thermofluids engineering. He was also a consultant in global sustainability, specifically in the area of energy and environment working on EU, World Bank and UN projects.
1. Vehicle structural/dynamics design and analysis
2. Design and analysis of vehicles for safety and security
3. Accessibility and Inclusive transport
4. Energy and Environment
- International Journal of Crashworthiness
- Assistive Technology - Official journal for RESNA
- Safety Journal
- Sustainability Journal
- Journal of Traffic and Transportation Engineering
- EU Transport Research Arena (TRA)
Lecturer on MSc Rail Freight and Logistics:
MEC8038 - Rail Vehicles
MEC8040 - Safety & Security
- Matsika E, O'Neill C, Battista U, Khosravi M, Laportec AS, Munoz E. Development of Risk Assessment Specifications for Analysing Terrorist Attacks Vulnerability on Metro and Light Rail Systems. In: Transport Research Arena TRA2016. 2016, Warsaw, Poland: Elsevier.
- Matsika E, O'Neill C. Reducing the Cost of Railway Vehicle – Key Lessons from the Aerospace, Automotive and Marine Industries. In: World Congress of Rail Research 2016. 2016, Milan, Italy: WCRR.
- Matsika E, Robinson AM, O'Neill C, Battista U, Khosravi M, Laportec AS, Munoz E. Risk Assessment Tool for Analysing Terrorist Attack Impact on Metro and Light Rail Systems Risk Assessment Tool for Analysing Terrorist Attack Impact on Metro and Light Rail Systems. In: 44th European Transport Conference 2016. 2016, Barcelona, Spain. In Preparation.
- Matsika E, ONeill C, Grasso M, DeIorio A. Selection and ranking of the main beam geometry of a freight wagon for lightweighting. Journal of Rail and Rapid Transport 2016, e-pub ahead of print.
- Matsika E, Peng Q. Crash safety of a typical bay table in a railway vehicle. Transport Problems International Scientific Journal 2015, 10(Special Edition), 97-110.
- Matsika E, Peng Q. Crash safety of a typical bay table in a railway vehicle. Transport Problems 2015, 10(Special Edition), 97-110.
- Matsika E, Robinson AM, O'Neill C, Peng Q, Zhou Z. Railway Vehicle Interior Crash Safety Standard – The Missing link?. In: The 12th International Forum of Automotive Traffic Safety (INFATS). 2015, Xiamen, China.
- O'Neill C, Matsika E, Robinson M, Zhou S, Peng Q. The Role of Risk Assessment in Reducing Risk of the Railway Assets to Terrorist Attacks. In: The 12th International Forum of Automotive Traffic Safety (INFATS). 2015, INFATS.
- Zunder TH, Jackson R, Matsika E. Charting the development of an innovative rail freight concept for low density high value goods from inception to design. In: 5th Transport Research Arena (TRA) Conference. 2014, Paris, France: IFSTTAR.
- Zunder TH, Jackson R, Matsika E. Charting the development of an innovative rail freight concept for low density, high value goods – from inception to design. In: TRA2014 Transport Research Arena. 2014, Paris, France. Submitted.
- Matsika E, Chirwa EC, Peng Q. Kinematics and injury risk of a wheelchair occupant in a railway vehicle crash. International Journal of Crashworthiness 2014, 19(5), 446-456.
- Jackson R, Matsika E, Zunder TH, Mahler S. Conceptualisation of an Innovative Rail Freight Vehicle for Transporting LDHV Cargo in an EU Context. In: World Congress on Railway Research (WCRR) 2013. 2013, Sydney, Australia.
- Matsika E, Chirwa CE, Peng Q. Influence of Human Related Factors on Railway Vehicle Wheelchair Occupant Crash Safety. In: 2013 Joint Rail Conference. 2013, Knoxville, Tennessee, USA: ASME.
- Matsika E, Chirwa CE, Peng Q. Influence of Human Related Factors on Railway Vehicle Wheelchair Occupant Crash Safety. In: ASME Joint Rail Conference. 2013, Knoxville, TN, USA: American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
- Matsika E, Ricci S, Mortimer P, Georgiev N, O’Neill C. Rail vehicles, environment, safety and security. Research in Transportation Economics 2013, 41(1), 43-58.
- Matsika E, O'Neill C. Wheelchair Occupant Human Factors in Train Crash Safety. In: World Congress on Railway Research (WCRR) 2013. 2013, Sydney, Australia.
- Matsika E. Wheelchair space design in rolling stock to improve occupant crash safety. European Railway Review. Rolling Stock Design Supplement 2012, 18(5), 9-12.
- Matsika E, Chirwa EC, Peng Q, Myler P, Nowpada S. Wheelchair occupant kinematics during a rail carriage crash. International Journal of Crashworthiness 2011, 16(5), 487-500.
- Nowpada S, Chirwa EC, Myler P, Matsika E. Aluminum “Egg-Box” Panel as an Energy Absorber for Pedestrian Protection. Advanced Engineering Materials 2010, 12(7), 591-595.