Dr Kristopher Smith
Research Associate / MSc Project Supervisor
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Address: Electrical and Electronic Engineering
School of Engineering
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE1 7RU, UK
Kris completed an apprenticeship with British Telecom before attending Northumbria University. Here he received a BSc(Hons) in Communications & Electronic Engineering and a MSc in Microelectronic Engineering.
In 2006 he joined Newcastle University to complete an Engineering Doctorate (EngD) with sponsorship from Dyson. His research focused on Power Supply Quality in Brushless Drives. After completing the doctorate Kris has moved into a Teaching Fellowship at Newcastle University. His research interests are mainly in permanent magnet machine design.In his spare time Kris enjoys participating in adventure races: kayaking, cycling, running and orienteering.
- Smith KJ, Graham DJ, Neasham JA. Design and optimisation of a voice coil motor (VCM) with a rotary actuator for an ultrasound scanner. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 2015, 62(11), 7073-7078.
- Raihan MAH, Baker NJ, Smith KJ, Almoraya AA. An E-core linear veriner hybrid permanent magnet machine with segmented translator for direct drive wave energy converter. In: Electric Machines and Drives Conference (IEMDC). 2017, Miami, FL, USA: IEEE.
- Almoraya AA, Baker NJ, Smith KJ, Raihan MAH. An investigation of a Linear Flux Switching Machine with Tapered Ferromagnetic Poles. In: The 20th International conference on Electrical Machines and Systems. 2017, Sydney, Australia: IEEE.
- Almoraya AA, Baker NJ, Smith KJ, Raihan MAH. Development of a double-sided consequent pole linear vernier hybrid permanent-magnet machine for wave energy converters. In: Electric Machines and Drives Conference (IEMDC). 2017, Miami, FL, USA: IEEE.
- van den Heuvel T, Graham DJ, Smith KJ, de Korte CL, Neasham JA. Development of a Low-Cost Medical Ultrasound Scanner Using a Monostatic Synthetic Aperture. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical circuits and Systems 2017, 11(4), 849-857.
- Raihan MAH, Baker NJ, Smith KJ, Almoraya AA. Investigation of a Doubly Salient Halbach Array Linear Permanent Magnet Machine for Wave Energy Converters. In: The 20th International conference on Electrical Machines and Systems. 2017, Sydney, Australia: IEEE.