Dr Marin Marinov
Rail Education Group Manager
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 3976
- Personal Website: http://www.newrail.org
- Address: NewRail, Rail Education Group,
Mechanical and Systems Engineering,
2nd Floor, Stephenson Building,
Newcastle upon Tyne
Dr. Marin Marinov is a Senior Research Associate with NewRail and responsible for the teaching portfolio of the centre, including a PhD opportunity scheme in Organisation, Management and Economics of Train Movement and Rail systems design.
His educational background includes Technology, Organisation and Management of Train Movement. His Ph.D thesis was on Analysis and Evaluation of Formation Yard Performances.
He has worked as a teaching assistant and researcher in the Transportation Systems branch of the MIT/Portugal programme, where he lectured on Transportation Planning and Performance Assessment, Freight Transport and Logistics Processes as well as Railway Engineering.
- PhD in Transportation;
- MSc in Technology, Organisation and Management of Rail Transport;
- International Economist.
- Teaching Assistant at Instituto Superior Tecnico, Lisbon;
- Collaborator with TIS.pt;
- Researcher at Higher School of Transport, Sofia.
- RailUniNet - International Academic Network of universities specialising in rail research and education;
- UIC Rail Ambassadors Scheme;
- The National Skills Academy for Rail (NSAR);
- The Science Advisory Board;
- The Research Cooperative;
- Rail Research UK Association (RRUKA);
- Tyne and Wear Freight Partnership;
- International Association of Railway Operations Research (IAROR);
- Rail Alliance: networking organisation in the rail sector;
- RailFuture: the UK's leading independent organisation campaigning for better rail services for both passengers and freight;
- Rede de Pesquisa em Transportes (RPT);
- ITS-Conference, "POLITEHNICA" University of Bucharest (PUB) – special guest, member of the scientific committee;
- Eurasian Economic Club of Scientists (EECSA);
- International Conference of Logistics, Economics and Environmental Engineering (ICLEEE);
- Transport Problems, International Scientific Journal (TP);
- Action 11 - Sustainability, Newcastle University;
- Centro de Sistemas Urbanos e Regionais (CESUR).
I am honoured to inform you that I have joint the UIC Rail Ambassadors schemes. I have become a rail ambassador and as such I will aim to:
X Attend and contribute to Railway Talents events at local and international scale by helping with organisation, facilitating sessions and sharing experience (e.g. registrations and café workshops at the Railway Talents launch event);
X Contribute to Railway Talents portal by generating news and sharing updates (news, articles, events, interviews, Career Sheets, etc.);
X Encourage rail colleagues to share their career stories by completing Rail Career Sheets;
X Disseminate information about Railway Talents, rail events and projects by using internal communication with work colleagues (e.g. internal newsletters);
X Act as a local representative for Railway Talents project in my country and/or region (e.g. point of contact for news, updates, etc.);
X Promote Railway Talents and rail careers by engaging with the public and local schools/communities (e.g. career days, hands-on activities, talks);
X Promote Railway Talents project via news and social networks;
X Suggest ideas and new initiatives for the Railway Talents’ Ambassadors scheme;X Look for financial support and action.
- Welcomed to the new the European Conference of Transport Research Institutes(ECTRI) Task Force working group on Education and Mobility for researchers, Kick off Meeting on 1st March, 2018;
- Moderator of Plenary Session in Smart City Conference, 5th edition, 7-8 December, 2017, National University of Political Studies and Public Administration, Development and Urban Planning Group, Bucharest, Romania.
- Awarded the sum of £800 to support a planned research work on Waste Management and Logistics in Brazil. Sponsor is CLACS. Partner: UFRJ.
- Awarded £28.7k as part of the F3 project (Fast Frequent Fulfiment (F3) by Rail/Intermodal), Co-ordinated by TruckTrain Developments Ltd (SME), funded by Innovate UK (Formerly known as The Technology Strategy Board (TSB));
- Awarded £98.5k to undertake research on Optimisation of Yards and Network Management in real time. The project will investigate ‘operating processes with freight trains in both rail marshalling yards and small scale shunting yards to improve capacity and system reliability. Real-time interaction between yard and relevant network IT systems will also be studied to make it possible for real-time software-based planning and management of single wagonload and block-train services.’
- Invited to give a key note speech in CONEMB 2017 – III Congresso Nacional das Engenharias da Mobilidade, Joinville, Brazil, 19 - 22 September, 2017.
- Awarded a Fellowship by FAPESC as part of CONFAP/UK Academies - Newton Fund 2016' programme to organise an analytical study of the Potential Design and Implementation of new rail networks, trains and services for the needs of the state of Santa Catarina, Brazil and beyond;
- Guest Speaker at the SKILLFUL Rail Workshop on Skills and competences development of future transportation professionals at all levels, at WCRT 2017, DB Academy Potsdam.
- Invited to sit on the Organising Committee of International Conference of Air Traffic Engineering, organised by Warwas University of Technology, Poland. Next Edition of the conference will take place in April 2018. http://www.konferencjairl.pw.edu.pl/
- Special Thanks from Sr Mario Cezar, the President of FIESC, Federação das Indústrias do Estado de Santa Catarina, Brazil for participating in a regular meeting of the association and delivering a talk on rail transport in EU: policies and practices "Cumprimentando-o, registro sinceros agradecimentos por sua participação na
reunião da Câmara para Assuntos de Transporte e Logística da FIESC, realizada dia
16 de setembro, oportunidade em que brindou os presentes com a apresentação
sobre a experiência no transporte de carga ferroviária na União Européia.
Permanecendo à disposição, reforço protestos de elevado apreço".
- Awarded a Scholarship /Bolsa Pós-Doutorado Sênior (PDS) by FAPERJ to develop a rail freight orientated study at Laboratório de Transporte de Carga (LTC), Programa de Engenharia de Transportes (COPPE), UFRJ for the purposes of Metro Rio and the State of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Invited guest speaker by Vale, with headquarters based in Vitoria, the State of Espirito Santo, Brazil to deliver talks about Prevention and Investigation of Rail Accidents (PREVENÇÃO E INVESTIGAÇÃO DE ACIDENTES FERROVIÁRIOS), 13 July 2016.
- Appointed a member of the scientific committee of the 12th International Scientific Conference of Young Scientists and PhD. Students TRANSCOM 2017. Further information about the TRANSCOM 2017 can be found at www.transcom-conference.com. / TRANSCOM, UNIVERSITY OF ŽILINA.
- Invited to contribute to a Workshop on Urban Logistics/um Workshop de Logística Urbana (16-18 November, 2016) em comemoração aos 30 anos da Associação, um evento histórico, o XXX Congresso de Pesquisa e Ensino em Transporte, Narional Association of Research and Education in Transport/Associação Nacional de Pesquisa e Ensino em transporte (ANPET).
- Honoured with participation in a Newton Fund Researcher Links Workshop – Indicators for a Healthy City: a Brazil-UK knowledge sharing researcher workshop Under the Researcher Links scheme offered within the Newton Fund, the British Council and CONFAP held a workshop (in English) on the above theme in Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil/ 9-13th May 2016. The workshop was coordinated by Professor Jennifer Mindell (UCL) and Professor Waleska Caiaffa (Federal University of Minas Gerais, UFMG). The other mentors were Prof. Heloisa Costa and Prof. Renato César Ferreira de Souza (UFMG, Brazil) and Prof. Julio Davila, Prof. Laura Vaughan, and Dr César de Oliveira (UCL, UK).
- Awarded a mobility grant within Newton Funds for a mission of up to three months in UFSC, South Brazil to develop A Systematic Method for designing Rail Services for Regional Rail Networks, incorporating Transfer and Application of New Technologies for both Passengers and Freight. (2015 - 2016)
- Invited to join in and become a visiting professor of School of Mechanical and Automotive Engineering at technical University of Xaimen, China from 2016. Duration in China can not be less than 30 days annually.
- Awarded a grant to organise workshop and talks in rail-orientated institutions based in Brazil (workshops and talks have taken place in UFSC- Joinvillie, UFSC-Floripa, ABIFER: MonoRail- Sao Paulo, IME, UFES and Vale) - (Spring 2015)
- Guest Editors of RETREC - Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier. RETREC has been accepted by Thomson Reuters and will be indexed from June 2016 onwards! RETREC has been in EconLit, RePEc, Scopus, TRID, the TRIS and ITRD Databases for quite a few years now. RETREC is very respectable, and is ranked higher than several journals that have Impact Factors (IFs) and are indexed in Thomson Reuters. Under Journal Indicators (http://www.journalindicators.com/), for example, the Source Normalised Impact per Paper (SNIP) for RETREC is 1.41, which ranks it #22 of the 51 transportation journals listed. Its Raw Impact per Publication (RIP), also known as IPP, Impact Per Publication - in effect, an IF but with a 3-year window instead of 2 years, is 1.18, which ranks it #24 of the 51 journals listed. Finally, RETREC's SJR, from SCImago Journal Rank is 1.13, which ranks it #16 of 119 transportation journals listed.
- Joined the Editorial Board of the peer reviewed journal "Urban Rail Transit (URRT)" as associate editor. The journalcovers all aspects of theoretical and technical achievements in urban rail transit, publishes articles that focus on urban rail transportation operation and management, design and planning, civil engineering, equipment and systems, economics, interdisciplinary research of various traffic systems, environmental impacts such as vibration, noise and pollution, rail marketing and public engagements, rail education and training etc. URL: https://www.editorialmanager.com/urrt; In-Springer: http://www.springer.com/journal/40864; Press: http://www.urt.cn
- Joined the Editorial Board of the scientific-analytical peer reviewed journal “Upravlenets”, which was founded in 2009 at Urals State University of Economics as a leading scientific periodical to reflect on developments in economic management and related fields.
- Joined the Scientific Committee of the International Students Conference ITS 2012, organised by the Telematics and Electronics for Transport Department of "POLITEHNICA" University of Bucharest, Romania.
- Invited as a special guest to give a speech on rail freight problems in “International student conference ITS” 2011, December, 8 -9, "POLITEHNICA" University of Bucharest, Rumania;
- Invited to the Editorial Board of IT4L' 12 - Workshop on information Technologies for Logistics, September 9-12, 2012, Wrocław, Poland;
- Named in TOP100 Young Bulgarian Scientists - "Veritas - N.Y." Veliko Tarnovo' 2012.
Working with Visiting Fellows
Birgit Blauensteiner from Austria, a Research Assistant at St. Poelten University of Applied Sciences;
Asst.Prof. Borna Abramovic, Ph.D. ERASMUS Coordinator, Head of Chair of Railway Transport Management, Department of Railway Transport, Faculty of Transport and Traffic Sciences, University of Zagreb, Croatia;
Dr Alicia Garcia Hernandez, Área de Ingeniería de Organización, Escuela Politécnica Superior, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid, Spain;
Andre Melo, Agencia Nacional de Transportes Terrestres, ANTT, Brazil;
Prof. Ing. Antonín Kavička, Ph.D., Department of Software Technologies, Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Informatics, University of Pardubice, Pardubice, The Czech Republic;
Prof. Luiz Antonio Silveira Lopes of Military Institute of Engineering (IME), Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Working with Trainees:
- Marina Manolova - VTU, Sofia, Bulgaria, February - April, 2016.
Working with Nuffield Students:
- Andrew Dawson - City of Sunderland College, August 2017.
Google Scholar / Citation indices:
All Since 2012: 332
- A Book on Sustainable Rail Transport - Proceedings of RailNewcastle Talks 2017, Springer, expected in March 2018;
- A Book on Sustainable Rail Transport - Proceedings of RailNewcastle Talks 2016, Springer, 2017;
- A Special Issue on Urban Rail Transit and Light Rail, URRT, Springer, 2015;
- The special issue of RETREC journal titled "Rail Operations, Management and Economics", Elsevier, 2015.
- An Intensive Programme in Railway and Logistics, Research in Transportation Economics, Volume 41, Issue 1, Pages 1-88 (May 2013): http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/07398859/41
- RailNewcastle Special Issue 2014: collection of articles, Transport Problems, Volume 9, Pages 1-129 (October 2014): http://transportproblems.polsl.pl/pl/Archiwum/2014/zeszytS/2014t9zS_00.pdf
- Rail Organisation and Management;
- Rail Yards and Terminals;
- Rail Systems Design;
- Rail Performances;
- Rail Economics;
- Rail Services;
- Safety and Security of Rail Systems;
- Rail Marketing;
- Rail Pricing;
- Rail Freight;
- Freight Logistics;
- Urban Freight;
- Rail Education and Training.
PhD opportunities in Organisation, Management and Economics of Train Movement and Rail Systems Design are available within NewRail. Apart from the systems engineering aspect of the problem, the aim is also to look at innovative concepts for sustainable rail transport with a particular focus on services, production patters and system designs where the interface between the technical, strategic, tactical, operational and commercial aspects of the service needs to be captured. Applicants must apply through the University’s online postgraduate application form selecting PhD School of Mechanical and Systems Engineering (full time or part time). A PDF of applicant’s covering letter and CV should be sent to: email@example.com
For further information, visit: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/mech/research/dmm/dmmstudentprofiles.htm
Rail-related Research Papers highly ranked
Publication on "Analysis of Urban freight by Rail using Event-Based Simulation" by Motraghi A. and Marinov M. published by the Journal Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory, 2012, 25, 73 - 89, cited 23 times in Scopus and 48 times in Google Scholar, has been identified as being of especial interest to the Engineering Community managing Advances in Engineering Series. (Featured online on Advances in Engineering, US);
A rail freight research paper on Steady State Analysis of Rail Freight Yard Performances by Marin Marinov el. al. has arrived in the top 3 of the RELIT Ranking List. RELIT stands for Review of Transport Literature (Revista de Literatura dos Transportes) and is a Brazilian Open Journal (ISSN: 2177-1065) managed by SBPT, Brazilian Society of Transport Planing (Sociedade Brasileira de Planejamento dos Transportes - http://www.transport-planning.org/);
The paper by Marinov M and Viegas J ., A simulation modelling methodology for evaluating flat-shunted yard operations (2009) Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory, 17 (6) , pp. 1106-1129. published in 2009 has been cited 18 times in Scopus and 35 times in Google Scholar;
The rail freight research paper on "A mesoscopic simulation modelling methodology for analyzing and evaluating freight train operations in a rail network", by Marinov, M., Viegas, J., Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory, volume 19, issue 1, year 2011, pp. 516 - 539 has been cited 25 times in Scopus and 60 times in Google Scholar.
- Transportation Science;
- Journal of Mechanical Engineering;
- Journal of Transportation Engineering;
- Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory (SIMPAT);
- Review of Transport Literature (RELIT);
- Transportation Research Part E (TRE);
- Journal of Rail Transport Planning & Management (JRTPM)
- Journal and Intelligent Transportation Systems (J-ITS);
- Transactions and Magazine Intelligent Transportation Systems (IEEE);
- International Journal of Physical Distribution & Logistics Management (IJPDLM);
- Transport Problems (TP);
- Upravlenets”, Urals State University of Economics;
- International Journal of Educational Administration and Policy Studies (IJEAPS);
- International Journal of Science and Technology Education Research (IJSTER);
- Social Sciences;
- Associação Nacional de Pesquisa e Ensino em Transportes - ANPET;
- Transportmetrica A: Transport Science;
- Transportation Research Part D: Environment and Transport;
- PROMET: Scientific Journal on Traffic and Transportation Research;
- Journal of Air Transport Management (JATM);
- International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health (IJERPH);
- Scientia Iranica;
- International Journal of Logistics;
- Transportation research Part E Logistics and Transportation Review;
- International Journal of Urban Sciences;
- Journal of Systems Science and Systems Engineering;
- Advances in Mechanical Engineering;
- Sustainability — Open Access Journal;
- Case Studies on Transport Policy (CSTP).
- PhD project on new designs for Rail Freight Interchanges;
- MSC Student (2017 - 2018) - project: An Integrated System for Automated Rail and Intermodal Terminals;
- MSc Student (2017 - 2018) - project: Driverless Trains: systems design;
- MSc Student (2017 - 2018) - project: Design of an AGV for freight distribution in urban and suburban areas;
- MSc Student (2017 - 2018) - project: Obstacle Detection on roads and level crossing;
- MSc Student (2016-2017) - project: A study into the design of baggage collection point at a railway station (completed with distinction) ;
- MSc Student (2016-2017) - project: Tranport of bags by rail;
- BEng Student (2016-2107) - project: How secure our metro stations are?; (completed successfully)
- BEng Student (2016-2107) - project: Obstacle Detection at Level-crossings; (completed with distinction)
- BEng Student (2016-2017) - project: Obstacle Detection in Rail Shunting facilities and freight yards; (completed successfully)
- BEng Student (2016-2017) - project: Alternative designs for metro cars to transport freight over night; (completed with distinction)
- MSc Student (2015-2016) - project: A Study by Product Design into the Potential for a Check-In and Bag Drop Service On-board Light Rail Vehicles for Passengers Travelling to the Airport Through the Case Study of the Tyne and Wear Metro; (completed with distinction)
- MSc Student (2015-2016) - project: Technical solutions for passenger comfort while on the train;
- MSc Student (2015-2016) - project: Emissions of rail operations in China;
- BEng Student (2015 - 2016) - project: HSR and the challenge of handling the passenger's luggage;
- BEng Student (2015 - 2016) - project: Tyne and Wear Metro Delays: improvements and evaluation of performance using event-based simulations;
- BEng Student (2015 - 2016) - project: Evaluation of the Oman Rail network project using comparative analysis;
- BEng Student (2014 - 2015) - project: Efficient distribution of freight in Urban Areas/ Solving a Modal Choice Problem;
- BEng Student (2014 - 2015) - project: Commuting in Urban Areas / Solving a Modal Choice Problem;
- MSc Student (2014 - 2015) - project: Alternative Baggage Handling Systems / Solving a Modal Choice Problem;
- BEng Student (2013 - 2014) - project: An Analysis of delays and mitigation of delays, metro systems;(completed with merit).
- BEng Student (2013 - 2014) - project: An Analysis of emissions of rolling stock; (completed with merit).
- BEng Student (2013 - 2014) - project: A Study on most suitable manufacturer of rolling stock for the UK rail network;
- BEng Student (2013 - 2014) - project: Movement of freight trains in a line;
- BEng Student (2013 - 2014) - project: Design of a baggage handling system;
- BEng Student (2013 - 2014) - project: Design and evaluation of next generation interchanges, CR vs. HSR; (completed with merit).
- SwB (Science without Borders) Students' Research Projects (2013): Capacity of a Rail Line and Devlopment of a Metro System;
- RailNewcastle Reserach Project (2013): Methods and Models for Rail Capacity Reserach (completed with merit);
- RailNewcastle Research Project (2014): Light Rail and customer comfort;
- RailNewcastle Research Project (2014): Analysis of customer services in rail passenger stations;
- RailNewcastle Research Project (2013): ICT for Rail Freight;
- RailNewcastle Research Project (2012): Analysis of Rail Yard Performances (completed with a good Honours level);
- BEng Student (2011 - 2012) - project: Research-based Teaching Material for Rail Education;
- BEng Student (2010 - 2011) - project: Urban Freight Movement by Rail (completed with merit).
- Learning Online PI: Dr Marin Marinov - a consultancy project commissioned by UIC , Design, implementation, maintenance and coordination of an eLearning Platform.
- Rail Careers: PI: Dr Marin Marinov - a consultancy project commissioned by UIC - Design, development, implementation, maintenance, management and coordination of an Internet Platform for recruiting Rail Talents.
- Rail Talents: Maintaining UIC TALENT ePlatform/webpage - PI: Dr Marin Marinov - a consultancy project commissioned by UIC.
- Module Leader: MEC8041 : Rail Planning and Timetabling / MEC8041's Timetable
- Offered for Year: 2017/18
- Module Leader(s): Dr Marin Marinov
- Owning School: Engineering
- Teaching Location: Newcastle City Campus
- External Examiner at Sheffield Hallam University;
- D1 Associate Fellowship in Advanced Studies in Academic Practice (CASAP) - UKPSF Descriptor 1, "Learning, Teaching and Engaging Students" - module successfully completed, Sep. 2015 - May 2016; - Awarded because Dr Marin Marinov has met the appropriate standards in teaching and supporting learning in HE, under the UK Professional Standards Framework (UKPSF).
- PhD Opportunities in Organisation, Management and Economics of Train Movement and Rail Systems Design: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/newrail/education/phd.htm;
- MSc in Rail Freight and Logistics, started in September 2013: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/newrail/education/msc.htm;
- RailNewcastle - intensive programmes in rail and logistics providing realistic opportunities for lecturers and students from different cultures to make railway and logistics higher education useful, sustainable and ever-growing: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/newrail/research/project/3967;
- Project Management Appreciations - a 10 Credit module owned by Mechanical & Systems Engineering School (2015 and 2016).
SIAFInternationa Programme, UIC: http://www.uic.org/siafi (2015 and 2016).
Erasmus Teaching Mobility twice a year. Partners: Universitatea Politehnica din București (Technical University in Bucharest, Romania and Todor Kableshkov University of Transport, Sofia, Bulgaria.
- Feedback/ Additional comments:
- There is a certain admirable quality to Dr. Marinov's teaching delivery. He is really approachable, and I love his teaching style.
- Very good presentation feedback with positive and negative points. I believe it has improved my presentation skills for further modules and confidence in giving presentations.
- Sabu B, Marinov M. An Obstacle Detection System for Freight Yards. IF Ingegneria Ferroviaria 2018. Submitted.
- Ahern A, Moloney G, Marionov M, Loueka M, Meunier J, Perez A, Mut C. Best practice on current and emerging training schemes, methodologies and tools in the transport sector and mapping to future training requirements and scenarios. Civil Engineering Research in Ireland CERI 2018 by Civil Engineering Research Association of Ireland (CERAI) and Irish Transportation Research Network (ITRN) 2018. In Preparation.
- Fraszczyk A, Amirault N, Marinov M. Rail Marketing, Jobs and Public Engagement. In: Marin Marinov, ed. Sustainable Rail Transport. Springer, Cham, 2018, pp.207-224.
- Yeung H, Marinov M. A state of the art on railway simulation modelling software and its application to designing baggage transfer service. In: RailExchange. 2017, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: Springer.
- YEUNG H, Marinov M. A systems design study introducing a collection point for baggage transfer services at a railway station in the UK. Case Studies on Transport Policy 2017. Submitted.
- Dawson A, Braz L, Blauensteiner B, Isler C, Dias A, Asaff Y, Marinov M. Evaluation of a rail-orientated researcher links workshop. In: RailExchange. 2017, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: Springer.
- Fraszczyk A, Weerawat W, Marinov M. Exchange of higher education teaching and learning practices between United Kingdom and Thailand: a case study of RailExchange courses. In: RailExchange. 2017, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: Springer.
- Kelly J, Marinov M. Innovative Interior Designs for Urban Freight Distribution Using Light Rail Systems. Urban Rail Transit 2017, epub ahead of print.
- Dent M, Marinov M. Introducing Automated Obstacle Detection to British Level Crossings. In: RailExchange. 2017, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: Springer.
- Yeung H, Marinov M. Investigation on Baggage Transfer Service at Newcastle Central Station to Serve Various Destinations: Interim Report. 2017.
- Fraszczyk A, Marinov M, Amirault N. No talent no progress! An attitudinal study on rail careers with a sample of rail professionals. In: WCRT2017 - 4th UIC World Congress on Rail Training. 2017, Berlin/Potsdam: UIC Expertise Development Platform.
- Marinov M. Sustainable Rail Transport. In: Sustainable Rail Transport - RailNewcastle 2016 Proceedings. Cham: Springer, 2017, pp.1-5.
- Marinov M, Ricci S, Borna A, Dolinayova A, Sladkowski A, Fraszczyk A, Nemtanu F, Lehnert M, Schlingensiepen J, Mortimer P, Rueger B, Mastika E, Amirault N, Pace G, Hyde P, Shaltout R, Bizoń K, Naroska E, Kling-David R. Sustainable Rail Transport - Proceedings of RailNewcastle Talks 2016. In: RailNewcastle Talks 2016. 2017, Newcastle upon Tyne: Springer. In Press.
- Schlingensiepen J, Nemtanu F, Marinov M. Systematic and Customer Driven Approach to Cost-Efficiently Improving Interlocking and Signaling in Train Transport. In: Sladkowski A, ed. Railway Transport – Systems Approach. Switzerland: Springer, 2017, pp.239-271.
- Xuan M, Marinov M. A delay mitigation method tested using an event-based simulation model for analysing Metro Performance. Ingegneria Ferroviaria 2016. Submitted.
- Toal J, Marinov M. A Study by Product Design into the Potential for a Check-In and Bag Drop Service On-board Light Rail Vehicles for Passengers Travelling to the Airport. Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice 2016. Submitted.
- Kling David R, Marinov M. Age-Friendly Rail Station: Software package application for designing and evaluating rail stations. In: RailLille2017 - 7th International Conference on Railway Operations Modeling and Analysis. 2016, Lille, France: International Association of Railway Operations Research.
- Singhania V, Marinov M. An Event-based Simulation Model for Analysing the Utilization Levels of a Railway Line in Urban Area. PROMET 2016, 29(5), 521-528.
- Fraszczyk A, Lamb T, Marinov M. Are railways really that bad? An evaluation of rail systems performance in Europe with a focus on passenger rail. Transportation Research Part A 2016, 94, 573-591.
- Yan N, Marinov M, Marujo L. Designing a freight service for HSR in China. In: ANPET - a Associação Nacional de Pesquisa e Ensino em Transportes. 2016, Rio, Brazil.
- Kling-David R, Marinov M. Physical internet concept for designing the rail freight interchange of the future. In: 11th World Congress on Railway Research WCRR 2016. 2016, Milan, Italy.
- Toal J, Marinov M. Product design for an on-board check-in system on the Tyne and Wear Metro for passengers travelling to Newcastle International Airport: interim paper. Newcastle upon Tyne: Newcastle University, 2016.
- Fraszczyk A, Drobisher D, Marinov M. Statistical analyses of motivations to participate in a rail focused extra-curricular activity and its short terms personal impacts. In: 7th International Conference on Operations and Supply Chain Management, Phuket, 2016. 2016, Phuket, Thailand: The Laboratory of Logistics and Supply Chain Management.
- Brice D, Marinov M, Rüger B. A Newly Designed Baggage Transfer System Implemented Using Event-Based Simulations. Urban Rail Transit 2015, 1(4), 194-214.
- Dampier A, Marinov M. A Study of the Feasibility and Potential Implementation of Metro-Based Freight Transportation in Newcastle upon Tyne. Urban Rail Transit 2015, 1(3), 164-182.
- Fraszczyk A, Dungworth J, Marinov M. An evaluation of a successful structure and organisation of an intensive programme in rail and logistics. In: The 3rd UIC World Congress on Rail Training. 2015, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Abbott D, Marinov M. An Event Based Simulation Model to evaluate the Design of a Rail Interchange Yard, which provides Service to High Speed and Conventional Railways. Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory 2015, 52, 15-39.
- Fraszczyk A, Dungworth J, Marinov M. Analysis of Benefits to Young Rail Enthusiasts of Participating in Extracurricular Academic Activities. Social Sciences 2015, 4(4), 967–986.
- Wales J, Marinov M. Analysis of delays and delay mitigation on a metropolitan railway network using event based simulation. Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory 2015, 52, 55-77.
- Dhir S, Marinov M, Worsley D. Application of the analytic hierarchy process to identify the most suitable manufacturer of rail vehicles for High Speed 2. Case Studies on Transport Policy 2015, 3(4), 431-448.
- Marinov M. Editorial: Special Issue, RailNewcastle Conference 2015, Urban Rail Transit and Light Rail. Urban Rail Transit 2015, 1(2), 69-70.
- Reece D, Marinov M. How to Facilitate the Movement of Passengers by Introducing Baggage Collection Systems for travel from North Shields to Newcastle International Airport. Transport Problems 2015, 10(Special edition), 141-154.
- Marinov M. Introduction to the Special Issue on Rail Operations, Management and Economics. Research in Transportation Economics 2015, 54, 1.
- Reece D, Marinov M. Modelling the implementation of a Baggage Transport System in Newcastle upon Tyne for passengers using Mixed-Mode Travel. Transport Problems 2015, 10(4), 149-155.
- Darlton A, Marinov M. Suitability of Tilting Technology to the Tyne and Wear Metro System. Urban Rail Transit 2015, 1(1), 47-68.
- Tsykhmistro S, Cheptsov M, Cheklov V, Marinov M. Euro-Asian co-operation in rail education and research. Transport Problems: An International Scientific Journal 2014, 9(1), 103-110.
- Esters T, Marinov M. An analysis of the methods used to calculate the emissions of rolling stock in the UK . Transportation Research Part D: Environment and Transport 2014, 33, 1-16.
- Marinov M, Lima T, Kuhl B, Bogacki A, Onbasi C. Analysis of customer services in Rail passenger stations using a Holistic method - application to Newcastle central station. Transport Problems 2014, 9(Special edition), 61-70.
- Marinov M, Di Giovanni L, Bellisai G, Clevermann J, Mastellou A, Victoria D, Deleva L. Analysis of Rail Yard and Terminal Performances. Journal of Transport Literature 2014, 8(2), 178-200.
- Marinov M, Fraszczyk A. Curriculum development and design for university programmes in rail freight and logistics. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences 2014, 141, 1166–1170.
- Marinov M, Darlton A, Bigotte M, Proietti D, Gerenska I. Customer satisfaction factors for Light Rail: What can we learn from a successful case?. Transport Problems 2014, 9(Special edition), 45-59.
- Marinov M. Editorial: introduction to group research projects developed within an intensive programme in railway and logistics. Transport Problems 2014, 9, 5-7.
- Dzhaleva A, Todorova M, Karagyozov K, Marinov M. Internationalisation of MSc Programmes in Rail Transport and Logistics. In: EURO – ZEL 2014 22nd International Symposium. 2014, Žilina, SK.
- Marinov M, Karagyozov K, Todorova M, Dzhaleva A. MSc Curriculum Development in rail Freight and Logistics: A lever to establish joint degrees. Mechanics, Transport, Communications: Academic Journal 2013, 11(3), 0825.
- Marinov M, Fraszczyk A, Rizzetto L, Ricci S. A Stepwise Methodology for validating a 2nd Cycle Study Programme in Rail Freight and Logistics. 2013.
- Marinov M, Fraszczyk A, Zunder T, Rizzetto L, Ricci S, Todorova M, Dzhaleva A, Karagyozov K, Trendafilov Z, Schlingensiepen J. A supply-demand study of practice in rail logistics higher education. Journal of Transport Literature 2013, 7(2), 338-351.
- Marinov M, Arnoldus R, Zunder T. An efficient tool for overcoming communication barriers in railway transport. In: World Conference on Transport Research (WCTR). 2013, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Lopes L, Marinov M, Marujo L. As Lições do Sistema Ferroviário Europeu/Lessons from the European Railway System. Revista Ferroviaria 2013.
- Fraszczyk A, Marinov M. Evaluation of RailNewcastle – Intensive Programme in Rail and Logistics. 2013.
- Marinov M. Introduction: Handbook: An intensive Programme in Railway and Logistics. Research in Transportation Economics 2013, 41(1), 1-2.
- Marinov M, Karagyozov K, Todorova M, Dzhaleva A. MSc Curriculum Development in Rail Freight and Logistics: a Lever to Establish Joint Degrees. In: 21st International Scientific Conference - TRANSPORT. 2013, Sofia, Bulgaria.
- Rizzetto L, Ricci S, Marinov M. MSCS IN RAILWAY TRANSPORT AND LOGISTICS: STATE OF THE ART AND PERSPECTIVES FOR A NEW PROGRAMME. In: 4th World Conference on Learning Teaching and Educational Leadership (WCLTA-2013). 2013.
- Marinov M, Fraszczyk A. Rail Education in North East. In: World Conference on Transport Research (WCTR). 2013, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Marinov M, Woroniuk C, Lopes L, Oliveira A, Marujo L. Railway Freight Research in Brazil and the EU. In: World Conference of Transport Research (WCTR). 2013, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Marinov M, Sahin I, Ricci S, Vasic-Franklin G. Railway operations, time-tabling and control. Research in Transportation Economics 2013, 41(1), 59-75.
- Woroniuk C, Marinov M. Simulation modelling to analyse the current level of utilisation of sections along a rail route. Journal of Transport Literature 2013, 7(2), 235-252.
- Rizzetto L, Ricci S, Marinov M, Fraszczyk A. THE VALIDATION PROCESS OF A NEW MSC PROGRAMME IN RAIL FREIGHT AND LOGISTICS. In: 4th World Conference on Learning Teaching and Educational Leadership (WCLTA-2013). 2013.
- Woroniuk C, Marinov M, Zunder T, Mortimer P. Time Series Analysis of Rail Freight Services by the Private Sector in Europe. Transport Policy 2013, 25, 81-93.
- Marinov M, Giubilei F, Gerhardt M, Özkan T, Stergiou E, Papadopol M, Cabecinha L. Urban Freight Movement by Rail. Journal of Transport Literature 2013, 7(3), 87-116.
- Marinov M, Fraszczyk A. Valorisation of an MSc Programme. 4th World Conference on Learning Teaching and Educational Leadership (WCLTA-2013) 2013.
- Marinov M, Fraszczyk A. Workshop on Rail Education: academia, industry, research, engagement, promotion, co-operation. 4th World Conference on Learning Teaching and Educational Leadership (WCLTA-2013) 2013.
- Marinov M, Zunder T, Arnoldus R, Moolen C. A Standardised Language Code for Rail Freight Operations. Transport Problems 2012, 7(2), 141-148.
- Woroniuk C, Marinov M, Zunder T. Analysis of the impact of Information Communication Technology implementation on Rail Freight Operations. In: 17th Annual Logistics Research Network Conference. 2012, Cranfield University.
- Motraghi A, Marinov M. Analysis of urban freight by rail using event based simulation. Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory 2012, 25, 73-89.
- Karagyozov K, Marinov M, Dzhaleva A, Todorova M, Borisov A. Business demands for an MSC programme in rail freight and logistics. In: Scientific-expert Conference on Railway (RAILCON). 2012, Niš, Serbia.
- Woroniuk C, Marinov M, Zunder T. Developments for Private Sector Rail Freight Services along an EU Corridor. In: 4th International Scientific Conference on Transport Problems. 2012, Katowice-Slemien, Poland: Politechnika Slaska.
- Fraszczyk A, Marinov M, Woroniuk C. Innovative Forms of Education in Rail Freight and Logistics. In: 4th International Scientific Conference on Transport Problems. 2012, Katowice-Slemien, Poland: Politechnika Slaska.
- Marinov M, Ricci S. Organization and Management of an Innovative Intensive Programme in Rail Logistics. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Journal 2012, 46, 4813-4816.
- Marinov M, Zunder T, Mortimer P. Rail Freight Services, Policy and Practice. World Transport Policy & Practice 2012, 18(2), 30-38.
- Marinov M, Woroniuk C, Zunder T. Recent Developments with Single Wagon Load Services, Policy and Practice in Europe. In: Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems (FedCSIS). 2012, Wrocław, Poland: FedCSIS.
- Marinov M, Viegas J. A Mesoscopic Simulation Modelling Methodology for Analyzing and Evaluating Freight Train Operations in a Rail Network. Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory 2011, 19, 516-539.
- Marinov M, Mortimer P, Zunder T, Islam D. A Steady State Analysis for Yard Performances. RELIT - Revista de Literatura dos Transportes 2011, 5(1), 33-49.
- Rizzetto L, Ricci S, Marinov M, Zunder T, Schlingensiepen J, Karagyozov K, Dzhaleva-Chonkova A. A Structured Survey on MScs in Transport and Logistics for designing a New Programme. In: 20th International Scientific Conference Transport. 2011, Sofia: VTU.
- Marinov M, Viegas J. Analysis and Evaluation of Double Ended Flat-shunted Yard Performance Employing Two Yard Crews. Journal of Transportation Engineering 2011, 137(5), 319-326.
- Marinov M, Pachl J, Lautala P, Macario R, Reis V, Edwards R. Policy-Oriented Measures for Tuning and Intensifying Rail Higher Education on both Sides of the Atlantic. In: 4th International Seminar on Railway Operations Modelling and Analysis (IAROR). 2011, Rome, Italy: International Association of Railway Operations Research.
- Marinov M, Mortimer P, Zunder T, Islam D. Short Haul Rail Freight Services. RELIT - Revista de Literatura dos Transportes 2011, 5(1), 136-153.
- Marinov MV, Viegas JM. Tactical management of rail freight transportation services: evaluation of yard performance. Transportation Planning and Technology 2011, 34(4), 363-387.
- Marinov M, Lautala P, Pachl J, Edwards R, Reis V, Macario M, Sproule W, Barkan C. Transatlantic Cooperation in Railway Higher Education (TUNRAIL): Handbook for Railway Higher Education. EU/US: The TunRail Project, 2011.
- Lautala P, Edwards R, Rosario M, Pachl J, Marinov M. Universities in Europe and the United States Collaborate to Develop Future Railway Engineers. In: WCRR - the 9th World Congress on Railway Research. 2011, Lille, France.
- Zunder T, Marinov M. Urban Freight Concepts and Practice: Would a traditional UCC scheme work?. Transport Problems 2011, 6(1), 87-95.
- Islam D, Zunder T, Marinov M. Issues on eLogistics applications and platforms for SMEs. In: Proceedings Media of the 12th World Conference on Transport Research. 2010, Lisbon, Portugal: World Conference on Transport Research.
- Marinov M, Zunder T, Islam D. A Concept Paper on Analyzing the Level of Compatibility between Rail Freight Wagons, Freight Transportation Services and Loading Units. Mechanics, Transport, Communications 2010, (1), 0467.
- Marinov M, Zunder T, Islam D. Concepts, models and methods for rail freight and logistics performances: an inception paper. In: Proceedings Media of the 12th World Conference on Transport Research. 2010, Lisbon, Portugal: World Conference on Transport Research.
- Marinov M, Zunder T, Schlingensiepen J, Ricci S, Karagyozov K, Razmov T, Dzhaleva-Chonkova A. Innovative Concepts for Knowledge Exchange, Mobility and Expertise in Rail Freight and Logistics. In: Highlight 2010: Sustainable Development in Logistics (ICLEEE) International Conference of Logistics, Economics and Environmental Engineering. 2010, Maribor, Slovenia: Vocational College of Traffic and Transport.
- Zunder TH, Islam DMZ, Marinov M. Key Issue for Pan-European Rail Freight Services. Transport Problems 2010, 5(3), 33-41.
- Zunder T, Marinov M. Management and Organizational Schemes for Urban Consolidation Systems within a Liberal Economy. In: PANAM 2010-XVI Pan-American Conference of Traffic and Transportation Engineering and Logistics. 2010, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Zunder T, Marinov M. Urban freight concepts and practice: Would a traditional UCC scheme work?. In: Transport Problems: IInd International Conference. 2010, Katowice and Kraków, Poland: Silesian University of Technology.
- Marinov M, Zunder T, Islam D. Urban freight consolidation concepts: is there something missing. In: Transport Problems: IInd International Scientific Conference. 2010, Katowice and Kraków, Poland: Silesian University of Technology.
- Marinov M, Zunder TH, Islam DMZ. Urban Freight Consolidation Concepts: Is There Something Missing?. Transport Problems 2010, 5(2), 5-12.
- Marinov M, Viegas J. Tactical Management of Freight Transportation Services by Rail: Evaluation of Yard Performances. In: RailZurich2009 : 3rd International Seminar on Railway Operations Modelling and Analysis ; Engineering and Optimisation Approaches. 2009, Zurich: International Association of Railway Operations Research (IAROR).
- Marinov M, Viegas J. A simulation modelling methodology for evaluating flat-shunted yard operations. Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory 2009, 17(6), 1106-1129.
- Marinov M. A State of the Art on Passenger Inter-modality: FP 5, FP 6 and FP 7 Projects in "Overview of EC Policy". Mechanics, Transport, Communications 2009, (1), Article no. 0338.
- Marinov M. Rail and multimodal freight: A problem-oriented survey (Part II-1). Transport Problems 2009, 4(2), 73-83.
- Marinov M. Rail and multimodal freight: a problem-oriented survey (part II-2). Transport Problems 2009, 4(3/1), 79-87.
- Marinov M. Rail freight in the EU: A problem-oriented survey (Part I). Transport Problems 2009, 4(1), 45-53.
- Marinov M, White T. Rail Freight Systems: What Future?. World Transport Policy & Practice 2009, 15(2), 9-28.
- Marinov M. Ripple effects in yard operations. In: Transport 2008: XVIIIth Scientific Conference with International Participation. 2008, Sofia: VTU.
- Marinov MV. Análise e Avaliação do Desempenho de Gares de Triagem. In: 8º Congresso Nacional do Transporte Ferroviário : “Sistemas Integrados de Transportes”. 2008, Lisbon, Portugal: ADFER.
- Marinov M, Viegas J. Evaluation of Production Schemes for Railway Freight Transportation. In: Proceedings of the 2nd International Seminar on Railway Operations Modelling and Analysis (RailHannover). 2007, Hannover, Germany.
- Marinov M. The Penalty of Cyclic Queues in Operating Processes with Freight Trains at Formation Yards. In: Seventh International Congress on Advances in Civil Engineering. 2006, Yildiz Technical University, Istanbul, Turkey.