Dr Piergiorgio Gentile
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 0191 208 3620
I completed my undergraduate degrees in Biomedical Engineering at the Politecnico di Torino (Italy) in 2006. From January 2007 to December 2009, I was a PhD student in Biomedical Engineering at the Department of Mechanics, Politecnico di Torino, where I worked on the improvement of the bioactivity of membranes or porous scaffolds for bone-tissue engineering applications. After two years as PostDoc researcher in the Industrial Bioengineering Group at Politecnico di Torino, I moved in 2012 at the University of Sheffield, awarded with an IEF Marie Curie Fellowship (2012-2014) and then I worked as PostDoc research fellow within the MeDe Innovation project for one year.
I joined the School of Mechanical and Systems Engineering at Newcastle University in September 2015 as Lecturer. Currently, I am also CEO of Geltis srl, a spin-out company of Politecnico di Torino, that is involved in the synthesis of biodegradable polymers for drug delivery and tissue engineering.
July 2016: “Larry Hench” Young Investigator award by UK Society of Biomaterials (UKSB)
June 2015: Award for "Best oral presentation" at SIB (Societa' Italiana dei Biomateriali) congress
October 2011: Grant “Generazione impresa” provided by I3P - Innovative Enterprise Incubator of Politecnico di Torino, Italy to follow the constitution of Geltis srl.
September 2010: “Alberto Mazzoldi” award by Italian National Bioengineering Group (GNB) for the PhD dissertation.
My scientific background is related to the design, processing and characterisation of biomedical materials (natural and synthetic polymers, ceramics, and composites), aiming to nano- and micro- scale design and manufacturing of biomimetic and innovative medical devices for Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine.
To date I have published 37 papers peer-reviewed papers (h-index without self-citations = 16 with more than 600 citations) in the leading journals in Biomaterials and Regenerative medicine field, including 13 as first author and 6 without the presence as co-author of my PhD supervisor, and 2 book chapter, along with 2 patents. In addition, I have undertaken a six month period of research in the laboratories of Prof Rui Reis in Portugal. My research has led to 12 oral presentations at international meetings and conferences, and the quality of my research has been further recognised with a special prize for my PhD thesis, the award of a Marie Curie Fellowship and, recently, I have been awarded with the “Larry Hench” Young Investigator prize by UK Society of Biomaterials (UKSB)
Furthermore, during my PhD and postdoctoral period, I provided collaborations with (1) Italian scientists: Dr Devis Bellucci from the Università degli Studi di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Prof. Monica Mattioli-Belmonte from the Università Politecnica delle Marche; and (2) international scientist: Prof. George Georgiev from the University of Sofia, Bulgaria, Prof. Rui L. Reis of the 3B´s Research Group of University of Minho, Prof. Zeibun Ramtoola of the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Dr Deepak Kalaskar from UCL and Dr Gianni Soldati from Swiss Stem Cell Foundation.
- MEC1007: Fundamentals of Thermofluid Dynamics
- MEC2008: Mechanical Engineering Professionals Skills II
- CME8056 (MEC8052) Manufacturing, Materials and Processes
- MEC3018: Design for industry
- MEC3098: Individual Projects
- MEC3098: Individual Projects
- Gentile P, Ghione C, Ferreira AM, Crawford A, Hatton PV. Alginate-based Hydrogels Functionalised at the Nanoscale using Layer-by-Layer Assembly for Potential Cartilage Repair. Biomaterials Science 2017, epub ahead of print.
- Gentile P, McColgan-Bannon K, Ceretto N, Sefat F, Dalgarno K, Ferreira AM. Biosynthetic PCL-graft-collagen bulk material for tissue engineering. Materials 2017, 10(7), 693-710.
- Bonifacio MA, Gentile PG, Ferreira AM, Cometa S, Giglio ED. Insight into halloysite nanotubes-loaded gellan gum hydrogels for soft tissue engineering applications. Carbohydrate Polymers 2017, 163, 280-291.
- Fernandes JS, Gentile P, Pires RA, Reis RL, Hatton PV. Multifunctional bioactive glass and glass-ceramic biomaterials with antibacterial properties for repair and regeneration of bone tissue. Acta Biomaterialia 2017, e-pub ahead of print (accepted manuscript).
- Gentile P, Ferreira AM, Callaghan JT, Miller CA, Atkinson J, Freeman C, Hatton PV. Multilayer Nanoscale Encapsulation of Biofunctional Peptides to Enhance Bone Tissue Regeneration In Vivo. Advanced Healthcare Materials 2017, 6(8), 1601182.
- Tonda-Turo C, Ruini F, Ramella M, Boccafoschi F, Gentile P, Gioffredi E, Falvo D'Urso Labate G. Non-covalently crosslinked chitosan nanofibrous mats prepared by electrospinning as substrates for soft tissue regeneration. Carbohydrate Polymers 2017, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Wilcock C, Gentile P, Hatton PV, Miller CA. Rapid Mix Preparation of Bioinspired Nanoscale Hydroxyapatite for Biomedical Applications. Journal of Visualized Experiments 2017, (120), e55343.
- Fernandes JS, Gentile P, Crawford A, Pires RA, Hatton PV, Reis RV. Substituted Borosilicate Glasses with Improved Osteogenic Capacity for Bone Tissue Engineering. Tissue Engineering, Part A 2017, epub ahead of print.
- Chiono V, Sartori S, Calzone S, Boffito M, Tonda-Turo C, Mattu C, Gentile P, Ciardelli G. Synthetic biodegradable medical polyurethanes. In: Xiang Zhang, ed. Science and Principles of Biodegradable and Bioresorbable Medical Polymers: Materials and Properties. Duxford: Woodhead Publishing, 2017, pp.189-216.
- Tonda-Turo C, Boffito M, Cassino C, Gentile P, Ciardelli G. Biomimetic polyurethane - Based fibrous scaffolds. Materials Letters 2016, 167, 9-12.
- Ferreira AM, Gentile P, Toumpaniari S, Ciardelli G, Birch MA. Impact of collagen/heparin multi-layers for regulating bone cellular functions. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 2016, 8(44), 29923-29932.
- Gentile P, Nandagiri VK, Daly J, Chiono V, Mattu C, Tonda-Turo C, Ciardelli G, Ramtoola Z. Localised controlled release of simvastatin from porous chitosan-gelatin scaffolds engrafted with simvastatin loaded PLGA-microparticles for bone tissue engineering application. Materials Science and Engineering C 2016, 59, 249-257.
- Chandrasekaran A, Novajra G, Carmagnola I, Gentile P, Fiorilli S, Miola M, Boregowda M, Dakshanamoorthy A, Ciardelli G, Vitale-Brovarone C. Physico-chemical and biological studies on three-dimensional porous silk/spray-dried mesoporous bioactive glass scaffolds. Ceramics International 2016, 42(12), 13761-13772.
- Nardo T, Chiono V, Gentile P, Tabrizian M, Ciardelli G. Poly(DL-lactide-co-ε-caprolactone) and poly(DL-lactide-co-glycolide) blends for biomedical application: Physical properties, cell compatibility, and in vitro degradation behavior. International Journal of Polymetric Materials and Polymetric Biomaterials 2016, 65(14), 741-750.
- Fernandes JS, Gentile P, Martinsa M, Nevesa NM, Miller C, Crawford A, Pires RA, Hatton PH, Reis RL. Reinforcement of poly-L-lactic acid electrospun membranes with strontium borosilicate bioactive glasses for bone tissue engineering. Acta Biomaterialia 2016, 44, 168-177.
- Gentile P, Bellucci D, Sola A, Mattu C, Cannillo V, Ciardelli G. Composite scaffolds for controlled drug release: role of the polyurethane nanoparticles on the physical properties and cell behaviour. Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials 2015, 44, 53-60.
- Gentile P, Frongia ME, Cardellach M, Miller CA, Stafford GP, Leggett GJ, Hatton PV. Functionalised nanoscale coatings using layer-by-layer assembly for imparting antibacterial properties to polylactide-co-glycolide surfaces. Acta Biomaterialia 2015, 21, 35-43.
- Gentile P, Nandagiri VK, Pabari R, Daly J, Tonda-Turo C, Ciardelli G, Ramtoola Z. Influence of Parathyroid Hormone-Loaded PLGA Nanoparticles in Porous Scaffolds for Bone Regeneration. International Journal of Molecular Sciences 2015, 16(9), 20492-20510.
- Gentile P, Carmagnola I, Nardo T, Chiono V. Layer-by-layer assembly for biomedical applications in the last decade. Nanotechnology 2015, 26(42), 1-21.
- Gentile P, Ghione C, Tonda-Turo C, Kalaskar DM. Peptide functionalisation of nanocomposite polymer for bone tissue engineering using plasma surface polymerisation. RSC Advances 2015, 5(97), 80039-80047.
- Gentile P, Wilcock CJ, Miller CA, Moorehead R, Hatton PV. Process optimisation to control the physico-chemical characteristics of biomimetic nanoscale hydroxyapatites prepared using wet chemical precipitation. Materials 2015, 8(5), 2297-2310.
- Gentile P, Chiono V, Carmagnola I, Hatton PV. An Overview of Poly(lactic-co-glycolic) Acid (PLGA)-Based Biomaterials for Bone Tissue Engineering. International Journal of Molecular Sciences 2014, 15(3), 3640-3659.
- Massai D, Pennella F, Gentile P, Gallo D, Ciardelli G, Bignardi C, Audenino A, Morbiducci U. Image-based three-dimensional analysis to characterize the texture of porous scaffolds. BioMed Research International 2014, 2014, 1-8.
- Carmagnola I, Nardo T, Gentile P, Tonda-Turo C, Mattu C, Cabodi S, Defilippi P, Chiono V. Poly(lactic acid)-based blends with tailored physicochemical properties for tissue engineering applications: a case study. International Journal of Polymeric Materials and Polymeric Biomaterials 2014, 64(2), 90-98.
- Tonda-Turo C, Cipriani E, Gnavi S, Chiono V, Mattu C, Gentile P, Perroteau I, Zanetti M, Ciardelli G. Crosslinked gelatin nanofibres: preparation, characterization and in vitro studies using glial-like cells. Materials Science and Engineering C 2013, 33(5), 2723–2735.
- Ferreira AM, Carmagnola I, Chiono V, Gentile P, Fracchia L, Ceresa C, Georgiev G, Ciardelli G. Surface modification of poly(dimethylsiloxane) by two-step plasma treatment for further grafting with chitosan-Rose Bengal photosensitizer. Surface and Coatings Technology 2013, 223, 92-97.
- Gentile P, Mattioli-Belmonte M, Chiono V, Ferretti C, Baino F, Tonda-Turo C, Vitale-Brovarone C, Pashkuleva I, Reis RL, Ciardelli G. Bioactive glass/polymer composite scaffolds mimicking bone tissue. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A 2012, 100A(10), 2654–2667.
- Bellucci D, Sola A, Gentile P, Ciardelli G, Cannillo V. Biomimetic coating on bioactive glass-derived scaffolds mimicking bone tissue. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A 2012, 100A(12), 3259–3266.
- Ferreira AM, Gentile P, Sartori S, Pagliano C, Cabrele C, Chiono V, Ciardelli G. Biomimetic soluble collagen purified from bones. Biotechnology Journal 2012, 7(11), 1386-94.
- Gentile P, Chiono V, Tonda-Turo C, Mattu C, Baino F, Vitale-Brovarone C, Ciardelli G. Bioresorbable glass effect on the physico-chemical properties of bilayered scaffolds for osteochondral regeneration. Materials Letters 2012, 89, 74–76.
- Bellucci D, Chiellini F, Ciardelli G, Gazzarri M, Gentile P, Sola A, Cannillo V. Processing and characterization of innovative scaffolds for bone tissue engineering. Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine 2012, 23, 1397–1409.
- Ferreira AM, Gentile P, Sartori S, Pagliano C, Cabrele C, Chiono V, Ciardelli G. Biomimetic soluble collagen purified from bones. Biotechnology Journal 2012, 7(11), 1386-1394.
- Ferreira AM, Gentile P, Chiono V, Ciardelli G. Collagen for bone tissue regeneration. Acta Biomaterialia 2012, 8(9), 3191-3200.
- Tonda-Turo C, Gentile P, Saracino S, Chiono V, Nandagiri VK, Muzio G, Canuto RA, Ciardelli G. Comparative analysis of gelatin scaffolds crosslinked by genipin and silane coupling agent. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules 2011, 49, 700–706.
- Nandagiri VK, Gentile P, Chiono V, Tonda-Turo C, Matsiko A, Ramtoola Z, Montevecchi FM, Ciardelli G. Incorporation of PLGA nanoparticles into porous chitosan-gelatin scaffolds: influence on the physical properties and cell behaviour. Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials 2011, 4(7), 1318–1327.
- Chiono V, Carmagnola I, Gentile I, Boccafoschi F, Tonda-Turo C, Ballarini M, Georgieva V, Georgiev G, Ciardelli G. Layer-by-Layer Coating of Photoactive Polymers for Biomedical Applications. Surface & Coatings Technology 2011, 206, 2446–2453.
- Gentile P, Chiono V, Tonda-Turo C, Ferreira AM, Ciardelli G. Polymeric membranes for guided bone regeneration. Biotechnology Journal 2011, 6(10), 1187-1197.
- TondaTuro C, Audisio C, Gnavi S, Chiono V, Gentile P, Raimondo S, Geuna S, Perroteau I, Ciardelli G. Porous Poly(ε-caprolactone) Nerve Guide Filled with Porous Gelatin Matrix for Nerve Tissue Engineering. Advanced Engineering Materials 2011, 13(5), B151–B164.
- Gentile P, Chiono V, Tonda-Turo C, Sartori S, Ciardelli G. Biomimetic materials for medical application through enzymatic modification. Advances in Biochemical Engineering / Biotechnology 2010, 125, 181-205.
- Chiono V, Gentile P, Boccafoschi F, Carmagnola I, Ninov M, Georgieva V, Georgiev G, Ciardelli G. Photoactive Chitosan Switching on Bone-Like Apatite Deposition. Biomacromolecules 2010, 11(2), 309-315.
- Bellucci D, Cannillo V, Ciardelli G, Gentile P, Sola A. Potassium Based Bioactive Glass for Bone Tissue Engineering. Ceramics International 2010, 36, 2449–2453.
- Gentile P, Chiono V, Boccafoschi F, Baino F, Vitale-Brovarone C, Vernè E, Barbani N, Ciardelli G. Composite films of gelatin and hydroxyapatite/bioactive glass for tissue engineering applications. Journal of Biomaterials Science 2010, 8-9, 1207-1226.
- Ciardelli G, Gentile P, Chiono V, Mattioli-Belmonte M, Vozzi G, Barbani N, Giusti P. Enzymatically - Crosslinked Porous Composite Matrices For Bone Tissue Regeneration. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A 2009, 92A(1), 137–151.
- Nieddu E, Mazzucco L, Gentile P, Benko T, Balbo V, Mandrile R, Ciardelli G. Preparation and biodegradation of clay composites of PLA. Reactive and Functional Polymers 2009, 69(6), 371–379.
- Chiono V, Ciardelli G, Vozzi G, Cortez J, Barbani N, Gentile P, Giusti P. Enzymatically-Modified Melt-Extruded Guides for Peripheral Nerve Repair. Engineering in Life Sciences 2008, 8(3), 226–237.