Professor Qiuhua Liang
Professor of Hydrosystems Modelling
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 6413
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 6502
- Personal Website: http://research.ncl.ac.uk/hydrosystems/
- Address: School of Civil Engineering and Geosciences
Newcastle upon Tyne
Qiuhua was an EPSRC funded DPhil research student and then a postdoctoral research assistant from 2000 to early 2006 in the Department of Engineering Science of Oxford University. He joined Newcastle in March 2006 and has since worked as lecturer, senior lecturer and professor of hydrosystems modelling. He teaches hydraulics and related topics at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. His research has been focused on computational hydraulics and applications.
Current Roles and Responsibilities
PGR Selector for the Water Group
DPhil in Computational Hydraulics, Department of Engineering Science, Oxford University, 2005
BEng in Civil Engineering (4-year degree programme), Dalian University of Technology, China, 1997
Dec 2011 - Dec 2013, Senior Lecturer in Hydraulic Engineering, Newcastle University
Mar 2006 - Dec 2011, Lecturer in Hydraulic Engineering, Newcastle University
Feb 2005 - Feb 2006, EPSRC Postdoctoral Research Assistant, Oxford University
Sep 2000 - Sep 2004, EPSRC Funded DPhil Research Student, Oxford University
Aug 1997 - Aug 2000, Civil Engineer, Yingkou Foundation Engineering Company, Dalian, China
Vice Chair: IAHR/IWA Joint Committee on Hydroinformatics
Visiting Professors: Disaster Prevention Research Institute (DPRI), Kyoto University, Kobe University, Japan; Hohai University, Wuhan University, Institute of Water Resources and Hydropower Research (IWHR), China
Associate Editor: Journal of Hydrology, Water Science and Engineering, Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers - Water Management; KSCE-Journal of Civil Engineering
Editorial Board: Journal of Hydrodynamics
Technical Program Committee (TPC): International Society of Offshore and Polar Engineering (ISOPE) Conference & Exhibition since 2009
Member: IAHR, International Society of Offshore and Polar Engineers
1) Computational Hydraulics
Development of mathematical and numerical models (finite different method, finite volume method, Godunov-type scheme, finite element method, smooth particle hydrodynamics (SPH) and adaptive mesh simulations)
High-performance computing (graphics processing units (GPUs), multi-nodal clusters and supercomputers)
2) Applications to
Predict natural hazards (e.g. flooding, storm surge, tsunami, debris flow and landslide) and assess their impacts on environment, people, property, infrastructure and assets
Simulate and understand hydrological and geomorphologic processes in rivers and catchments
Develop real-time flood forecasting and warning systems
Represent interactive human, natural and engineering systems for flood risk assessment and integrated catchment management
Xiaodong Ming (09/2014 – present, PhD, main supervisor)
Thesis: Integrated Assessment Framework for Quantifying Multi-Hazard Risk to Infrastructure.
Samantha Mahaffey (09/2013 – present, PhD, main supervisor)
Thesis: Discrete Element Modelling of Floating Debris.
Yumei Huang (09/2013 – present, PhD, 2nd supervisor)
Thesis: Impacts of Water Resources Management on Food Security in China.
Asari Abdul Rashid (01/2013 – present, PhD, 2nd supervisor)
Thesis: Broad scale flood risk analysis of Thames Estuary.
Luke Smith (09/2012 – present, PhD, main supervisor; RA from 05/2013 – 11/2013)
Thesis: A high-performance integrated hydraulic and hydrological modelling software framework for catchment systems engineering.
Xilin Xia (09/2012 – present, PhD, main supervisor)
Thesis: SPH modelling of fluid-like landslides.
Philippa Cowles (09/2012 – present, PhD, 3rd supervisor)
Thesis: Near-field GNSS for real-time tsunami early warning systems.
Reza Amouzgar (09/2011 – present, PhD, main supervisor)
Thesis: Adaptive Grid Based Integrated Model for Tsunami Simulations.
Jingchun Wang (09/2011 – present, MPhil, main supervisor)
Thesis: Chaotic mixing in environmental shallow water flows.
Adedayo A. Adegbola
Nor Azlina Alias
Major Research Grants
Numerical and laboratory modelling study of meteo-tsunamis and harbour resonance, Royal Society, PI, £12,000, 24 months from 04/2014
Susceptibility of catchments to INTense RAinfall and flooding (SINATRA), NERC, Co-I, £846013, 42 months from 09/2013
Online Social Networks (OSNs) Based System for Flood Prediction and Management, EPSRC, PI, £39999, 6 months from 05/2013
Flood MEMORY: Multi-Event Modelling Of Risk & recoverY, EPSRC, Co-I, £1765290, 36 months from 01/2013
Optimal management of water resources and flood risk for hydropower generation, EPSRC, PI, £73795, 6 months from 10/2012
Numerical and Experimental Modelling of Sewage Screening Chamber, Northumbrian Water Limited, PI, £15698, 2 months from 01/2012
Impacts and dynamics of volcanically-generated jökulhlaups, Eyjafjallajökull, Iceland, NERC, Co-I, £52169, 12 months from 06/2010
Adaptive mesh simulation of different scale flood inundation, EPSRC, PI, £247430, 36 months from 10/08
New Century Excellent Talent, 2010, awarded by the Ministry of Education of China
Chutian Scholar, 2010, awarded by Hubei Province, China
Wei Lun Scholarship, 2001 – 2004, St Hugh’s College, Oxford University
EPSRC Studentship, 2000 – 2004, Department of Engineering Science, Oxford University
CEG8506 Computational Hydraulics (50%); CEG8501/CEG8502 Quantitative Methods for Engineering (module leader); CEG8524 Real Time Flood Forecasting and Warning Systems
- Guan M, Liang Q. A two-dimensional hydro-morphological model for river hydraulics and morphology with vegetation. Environmental Modelling & Software 2017, 88, 10-21.
- Xia X, Liang Q, Ming X, Hou J. An efficient and stable hydrodynamic model with novel source term discretisation schemes for overland flow and flood simulations. Water Resources Research 2017, 53(5), 3730–3759.
- Birkinshaw SJ, Guerreiro SB, Nicholson A, Liang Q, Quinn P, Zhang L, He B, Yin J, Fowler HJ. Climate change impacts on Yangtze River discharge at the Three Gorges Dam. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences 2017, 21(4), 1911-1927.
- Chen H, Liang Z, Liu Y, Liang Q, Xie S. Integrated remote sensing imagery and two-dimensional hydraulic modeling approach for impact evaluation of flood on crop yields. Journal of Hydrology 2017, 553, 262-275.
- Xia X, Liang Q. A GPU-accelerated smoothed particle hydrodynamics (SPH) model for the shallow water equations. Environmental Modelling and Software 2016, 75, 28-43.
- Ferrer-Boix C, Liang QH. A numerical approach for analysing the performance of a sewage screening chamber. Urban Water Journal 2016, 13(4), 360-371.
- Rashid AA, Liang QH, Dawson RJ, Smith LS. Calibrating a High-Performance Hydrodynamic Model for Broad-Scale Flood Simulation: Application to Thames Estuary, London, UK. In: 12th International Conference on Hydroinformatics (HIC 2016). 2016, Incheon, Korea: Elsevier Science BV.
- Liang Q, Xia X, Hou J. Catchment-scale High-resolution Flash Flood Simulation Using the GPU-based Technology. In: 12th International Conference on Hydroinformatics (HIC 2016) - Smart Water for the Future. 2016, Incheon, South Korea: Elsevier Ltd.
- Amouzgar R, Liang Q, Clarke PJ, Yasuda T, Mase H. Computationally efficient tsunami modelling on Graphics Processing Units (GPUs). International Journal of Offshore and Polar Engineering 2016, 26(2), 154-160.
- Xing Y, Yang SF, Zhou HJ, Liang QH. Effect of Floodplain Roughness on Velocity Distribution in Mountain Rivers. In: 12th International Conference on Hydroinformatics (HIC 2016) - Smart Water for the Future. 2016, Incheon, South Korea: Elsevier BV.
- Hou J, Li Z, Liang Q, Li G, Cheng W, Wang W, Wang R. Effects of Morphological Change on Fluvial Flood Patterns Evaluated by a Hydro-geomorphological Model. In: 12th International Conference on Hydroinformatics, HIC 2016. 2016, Incheon, Korea: Elsevier Ltd.
- Xiong Y, Liang Q, Amouzgar R, Cox DT, Mori N, Wang G, Zheng J. High-performance simulation of tsunami inundation and impact on building structures. In: 26th International Ocean and Polar Engineering Conference. 2016, Rhodes, Greece: International Society of Offshore and Polar Engineers.
- Liang QH, Chen KC, Hou JM, Xiong Y, Wang G, Qiang J. Hydrodynamic modelling of flow impact on structures under extreme flow conditions. Journal of Hydrodynamics, Ser. B 2016, 28(2), 267-274.
- Chen K, Liang Q, Xiong Y, Qiang J, Wang G, Zheng J. Laboratory and numerical investigation of extreme flow impact on simplified sea-crossing bridge structures. In: 26th International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference. 2016, Rhodes, Greece: International Society of Offshore and Polar Engineers.
- Liang QH, Smith L, Xia XL. New prospects for computational hydraulics by leveraging high-performance heterogeneous computing techniques. Journal of Hydrodynamics 2016, 28(6), 977-985.
- Liang QH, Smith L, Xia XL. New prospects for computational hydraulics by leveraging high-performance heterogeneous computing techniques. In: Second Conference of Global Chinese Scholars on Hydrodynamics (CCSH'2016). 2016, Wuxi, Jiangsu, China: China Ocean Press.
- Lai XJ, Liang QH, Huang Q, Jiang JH, Lu XX. Numerical evaluation of flow regime changes induced by the Three Gorges Dam in the Middle Yangtze. Hydrology Resesarch 2016, 47(S1), 149-160.
- Liang Q, Amouzgar R. Performance of different hardware devices for tsunami simulations. In: 26th International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference. 2016, Rhodes, Greece: International Society of Offshore and Polar Engineers.
- Qiang J, Liang Q, Wang G, Zheng J. Testing a shock-capturing hydrodynamic model for storm surge simulation. In: 26th International Ocean and Polar Engineering Conference. 2016, Rhodes, Greece: International Society of Offshore and Polar Engineers.
- Liang Q, Smith LS. A High-Performance Integrated Hydrodynamic Modelling System for Urban Flood Inundation. Journal of Hydroinformatics 2015.
- Xia X, Huang R, Liang Q, Yu B. A New Physically-Based Simulation Framework for Modelling Flow-Like Landslides. International Journal of Geohazards and Environment 2015, 1(3), 94-100.
- Zhang L, Liang Q, Wang Y, Yin J. A Robust Coupled Model for Solute Transport Driven by Severe Flow Conditions. Journal of Hydro-environment Research 2015, 9(1), 49–60.
- Hou J, Liang Q, Zhang H, Hinkelmann R. An efficient unstructured MUSCL scheme for solving the 2D shallow water equations. Environmental Modelling and Software 2015, 66, 131-152.
- Smith L, Liang Q, James P, Lin W. Assessing the utility of social media as a data source for flood risk management using a real-time modelling framework. Journal of Flood Risk Management 2015, (ePub ahead of print).
- Liang Q, Hou J, Xia X. Contradiction between the C-property and mass conservation in adaptive grid based shallow flow models: cause and solution. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids 2015, 78(1), 17-36.
- Liang Q, Xia X, Hou J. Efficient urban flood simulation using a GPU-accelerated SPH model. Environmental Earth Sciences 2015, 74(11), 7285-7294.
- Hou J, Liang Q, Li Z, Wang S, Hinkelmann R. Numerical error control for second-order explicit TVD scheme with limiters in advection simulation. Computers and Mathematics with Applications 2015, 70(9), 2197-2209.
- Lu D, Wang BD, Wang YD, Zhou HC, Liang QH, Peng Y, Roskilly AP. Optimal operation of cascade hydropower stations using hydrogen as storage medium. Applied Energy 2015, 137, 56–63.
- Kesserwani G, Liang Q. RKDG2 shallow-water solver on non-uniform grids with local time steps: Application to 1D and 2D hydrodynamics. Applied Mathematical Modelling 2015, 39(3-4), 1317–1340.
- Hou J, Liang Q, Xia X. Robust absorbing boundary conditions for shallow water flow models. Environmental Earth Sciences 2015, 74(11), 7407-7422.
- Hinkelmann R, Liang Q, Aizinger V, Dawson C. Robust shallow water models. Environmental Earth Sciences 2015, 74(11), 7273-7274.
- Liang Q, Hou J, Amouzgar R. Simulation of Tsunami Propagation Using Adaptive Cartesian Grids. Coastal Engineering Journal 2015, 57(4), 1550016.
- Wang G, Zheng JH, Liang QH, Zhang W, Huang C. Theoretical analysis of harbor resonance in harbor with an exponential bottom profile. China Ocean Engineering 2015, 29(6), 821-834.
- Smith LS, Liang QH, Quinn PF. Towards a hydrodynamic modelling framework appropriate for applications in urban flood assessment and mitigation using heterogeneous computing. Urban Water Journal 2015, 12(1), 67-78.
- Amouzgar R, Liang Q, Smith L. A GPU-accelerated shallow flow model for tsunami simulations. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers - Engineering and Computational Mechanics 2014, 167(3), 117-125.
- Hou J, Simons F, Liang Q, Hinkelmann R. An improved hydrostatic non-negative water depth reconstruction for shallow water model. Journal of Hydraulic Research 2014, 52(3), 432-439.
- Wang G, Zheng JH, Liang QH, Zheng YN. Analytical solutions for oscillations in a harbor with a hyperbolic-cosine squared bottom. Ocean Engineering 2014, 83, 16-23.
- Lai X, Liang Q, Jiang J, Huang Q. Impoundment Effects of the Three-Gorges-Dam on Flow Regimes in Two China’s Largest Freshwater Lakes. Water Resources Management 2014, 28(14), 5111–5124.
- Hou J, Liang Q, Zhang H, Hinkelmann R. Multislope MUSCL method applied to solve shallow water equations. Computers & Mathematics with Applications 2014, 68(12), 2012-2027.
- Zhang HB, Wang YL, Liang QH, Smith LS, Kilsby CG. Non-negative depth reconstruction for a two-dimensional partial inertial inundation model. Journal of Hydroinformatics 2014, 16(5), 1158-1177.
- Lai X, Liang Q, Yesou H, Daillet S. Variational assimilation of remotely sensed flood extents using a 2-D flood model. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences 2014, 18(11), 4325-4339.
- Hou J, Liang Q, Simons F, Hinkelmann R. A 2D well-balanced shallow flow model for unstructured grids with novel slope source treatment. Advances in Water Resources 2013, 52, 107-131.
- Zhang C, Liang QH, Yin JX. A first-order adaptive solution to rapidly spreading flood waves. Progress in Computational Fluid Dynamics 2013, 13(1), 1-10.
- Zhang C, Liang Q, Yin J. A first-order adaptive solution to rapidly spreading flood waves. Progress in Computational Fluid Dynamics 2013, 13(1), 1-10.
- Hou J, Liang Q, Simons F, Hinkelmann R. A stable 2D unstructured shallow flow model for simulations of wetting and drying over rough terrains. Computer and Fluids 2013, 82, 132-147.
- Li G, Gao J, Liang Q. A well-balanced weighted essentially non-oscillatory scheme for pollutant transport in shallow water. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids 2013, 71(12), 1566–1587.
- Xia X, Liang Q, Pastor M, Zou W, Zhuang Y-F. Balancing the source terms in a SPH model for solving the shallow water equations. Advances in Water Resources 2013, 59, 25–38.
- Lai X, Jiang J, Liang Q, Huang Q. Large-scale hydrodynamic modeling of the middle Yangtze River Basin with complex river–lake interactions. Journal of Hydrology 2013, 492, 228–243.
- Duran A, Liang Q, Marche F. On the well-balanced numerical discretization of shallow water equations on unstructured meshes. Journal of Computational Physics 2013, 235, 565-586.
- Smith LS, Liang Q. Towards a generalised GPU/CPU shallow-flow modelling tool. Computers & Fluids 2013, 88, 334-343.
- Yasuda T, Mase H, Mori N, Liang Q. Tsunami simulation model formulated by a finite volume method using a dynamically adaptive grid system (In Japanese). Journal of Japan Society of Civil Engineers, Ser. B2 (Coastal Engineering) 2013, 69(2), I_1-I_5.
- Liang Q. A Simplified Adaptive Cartesian Grid System for Solving the 2D Shallow Water Equations. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids 2012, 69(2), 442-458.
- Kesserwani G, Liang QH. Dynamically adaptive grid based discontinuous Galerkin shallow water model. Advances in Water Resources 2012, 37, 23-39.
- Kesserwani G, Liang Q. Influence of Total-Variation-Diminishing Slope Limiting on Local Discontinuous Galerkin Solutions of the Shallow Water Equations. Journal of Hydraulic Engineering 2012, 138(2), 216–222.
- Kesserwani G, Liang Q. Locally limited and fully conserved RKDG2 shallow water solutions with wetting and drying. Journal of Scientific Computing 2012, 50(1), 120-144.
- Wang YL, Liang QH, Kesserwani G, Hall JW. A 2D shallow flow model for practical dam-break simulations. Journal of Hydraulic Research 2011, 49(3), 307-316.
- Liang Q. A coupled morphodynamic model for applications involving wetting and drying. Journal of Hydrodynamics, Ser. B 2011, 23(3), 273-281.
- Alias NA, Liang Q, Kesserwani G. A Godunov-Type Scheme for Modelling 1D Channel Flow with Varying Width and Bed Topography. Computers & Fluids 2011, 46(1), 88–93.
- Wang Y, Liang Q, Kesserwani G, Hall J. A positivity-preserving zero-inertia model for flood simulation. Computers & Fluids 2011, 46(1), 505-511.
- Liang Q. A Structured but Non-Uniform Cartesian Grid Based Model for the Shallow Water Equations. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids 2011, 66(5), 537–554.
- Liang Q. Dynamically Adaptive Simulation of Coastal Hydrodynamics. International Journal of Offshore and Polar Engineering 2011, 21(1), 1-6.
- Wang JP, Liang Q. Testing a new adaptive grid-based shallow flow model for different types of flood simulations. Journal of Flood Risk Management 2011, 4(2), 96-103.
- Kesserwani G, Liang Q. A conservative high-order discontinuous Galerkin method for the shallow water equations with arbitrary topography. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering 2010, 86(1), 47–69.
- Kesserwani G, Liang Q. A discontinuous Galerkin algorithm for the two-dimensional shallow water equations. Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering 2010, 199(49-52), 3356-3368.
- Liang Q. A well-balanced and non-negative numerical scheme for solving the integrated shallow water and solute transport equations. Communications in Computational Physics 2010, 7(5), 1049-1075.
- Liang Q, Wang Y, Archetti R. A Well-Balanced Shallow Flow Solver for Coastal Simulations. International Journal of Offshore and Polar Engineering 2010, 20(1), 41-47.
- Ren M, Wang B, Liang Q, Fu G. Classified real-time flood forecasting by coupling fuzzy clustering and neural network. International Journal of Sediment Research 2010, 25(2), 134-148.
- Liang Q. Flood Simulation Using a Well-Balanced Shallow Flow Model. Journal of Hydraulic Engineering 2010, 136(9), 669-675.
- Kesserwani G, Vazquez J, Riviere N, Liang Q, Travin G, Mose R. New approach for predicting flow bifurcation at right-angled open-channel junction. Journal of Hydraulic Engineering 2010, 136(9), 662-668.
- Kesserwani G, Liang Q. Well-balanced RKDG2 solutions to the shallow water equations over irregular domains with wetting and drying. Computers & Fluids 2010, 39(10), 2040-2050.
- Kesserwani G, Liang Q, Vazquez J, Mosé R. Well-balancing issues related to the RKDG2 scheme for the shallow water equations. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids 2010, 62(4), 428-448.
- Liang Q, Borthwick AGL. Adaptive Quadtree Simulation of Shallow Flows with Wet-Dry Fronts over Complex Topography. Computers & Fluids 2009, 38(2), 221-234.
- Liang Q, Marche F. Numerical resolution of well-balanced shallow water equations with complex source terms. Advances in Water Resources 2009, 32(6), 873-884.
- Liang Q, Taylor PH, Borthwick AGL. Particle Mixing and Reactive Front Motions in Chaotic but Closed Shallow Flows. Computers & Fluids 2009, 38(2), 382-392.
- Ning DZ, Zang J, Liang Q, Taylor PH, Borthwick AGL. Boussinesq cut-cell model for non-linear wave interaction with coastal structures. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids 2008, 57(10), 1459-1483.
- Liang Q, Du G, Hall JW, Borthwick AGL. Flood inundation modelling with an adaptive quadtree grid shallow water equation solver. Journal of Hydraulic Engineering 2008, 134(11), 1603-1610.
- Liang Q, Borthwick AGL. Simple treatment of non-aligned boundaries in a Cartesian grid shallow flow model. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids 2008, 56(11), 2091-2110.
- Liang Q. Simulation of shallow flows in nonuniform open channels. Journal of Fluids Engineering, Transactions of the ASME 2008, 130(1), 0112051-0112059.
- Zang J, Ning D, Liu S, Liang Q, Taylor PH, Taylor RE, Borthwick AGL. Boussinesq cut-cell model for wave scattering from cylinder in shallow water. International Journal of Offshore and Polar Engineering 2007, 17(4), 266-269.
- Liang Q, Taylor PH, Borthwick AGL. Particle mixing and reactive front motion in unsteady open shallow flow – Modelled using singular value decomposition. Computers & Fluids 2007, 36(2), 248-258.
- Liang Q, Zang J, Borthwick AGL, Taylor PH. Shallow flow simulation on dynamically adaptive cut cell quadtree grids. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids 2007, 53(12), 1777-1799.
- Liang Q, Borthwick AGL, Taylor PH. Wind-induced chaotic advection in shallow flow geometries. Part I: Circular basins. Journal of Hydraulic Research 2006, 44(2), 170-179.
- Liang Q, Borthwick AGL, Taylor PH. Wind-induced Chaotic Advection in Shallow Flow Geometries. Part II: Non-circular Basins. Journal of Hydraulic Research 2006, 44(2), 180-188.
- Liang Q, Borthwick AGL, Taylor PH. Chaotic mixing in a basin due to a sinusoidal wind field. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids 2005, 47(8-9), 871-877.
- Liang Q, Borthwick, AGL, Taylor PH, Huang J. Godunov-type Quadtree Model of Species Dispersion in Shallow Flows. In: Jirka, G.H. and Uijttewaal, W.S.J, ed. Shallow Flows. The Netherlands: A.A. Balkema Publishers, 2004.
- Liang Q, Borthwick AGL, Stelling G. Simulation of dam- and dyke-break hydrodynamics on dynamically adaptive quadtree grids. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids 2004, 46(2), 127-162.