Dr Simon Blake
Senior Research Associate
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Address: Electrical and Electronic Engineering
School of Engineering
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE1 7RU, UK
BackgroundSimon is a researcher into Power Systems, with particular interest in measuring and mitigating distribution network risk. He gained a PhD in that topic from Durham University in 2010, and worked with distribution network operator Northern Powergrid in a knowledge transfer partnership from 2010-2013. He is currently Senior Research Associate in the Power Systems team at EEE, with a wide range of research interests.
Simon is a member of the Electrical Power research group.
- Power Systems
- Measuring and mitigating distribution network risk
- Rural electrical networks
- Community-based demand side response
TeachingSimon Blake is course director of the MSc in Power Distribution Engineering, delivered in both full-time and part-time modes.
- Blake S, Taylor PC, Dent C, Miller D. Quantifying the contribution of wind farms to distribution network reliability. Wind Energy 2015, 18(5), 941-953.
- Blake SR, Taylor PC. A methodology for ranking locations according to the likelihood and consequences of extreme events. In: CIRED. 2013, Stockholm, Sweden.
- Elsherif M, Taylor PC, Blake S. Investigating the Potential Impact of Superconducting Distribution Networks. In: 22nd International Conference on Electricity Distribution (CIRED 2013). 2013, Stockholm, Sweden: IEEE.
- Blake S, Yi J, Taylor PC, Miller D, Lloyd I. Using Electrical Energy Storage to Support Customers Under Faulted Network Conditions. In: 22nd International Conference and Exhibition on Electricity Distribution (CIRED). 2013, Stockholm, Sweden: Institution of Engineering and Technology.
- Davison P, Blake S, Spencer A, Burton E, Lee-Favier S. Activating residential demand side response to relieve network congestion. In: CIRED Workshop 2016. 2016, Helsinki: Institution of Engineering and Technology.
- Blake SR, Davison PJ, Greenwood DM, Wade NS. Climate change risks in electricity networks. Infrastructure Asset Management 2015, 2(2), 42-51.
- Dent CJ, Hernandez-Ortiz A, Blake SR, Miller D, Roberts D. Defining and Evaluating the Capacity Value of Distributed Generation. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems 2015, 30(5), 2329-2337.