Dr Wen Xiao
Lecturer in Laser Scanning and Photogrammetry
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 6357
- Address: Room G11a
School of Engineering
Newcastle upon Tyne
Dr Wen Xiao joined the Geomatics group within the School of Engineering as a lecturer in 2016. His research interests lie in the intergration of artificial intelligence, computer vision and robotics, with photogrammetry, laser scanning and remote sensing, applied to urban and natural environments. The vision is to develop Multiscale Multimodal Modelling and Monitoring (M4) systems to tackle environmental and societal problems for the UN sustainable development goals. Studies include infrastructure and transport systems monitoring, hazard monitoring and impact analysis, deformation/change detection and monitoring, from various sensing platforms, e.g. static and mobile mapping systems, airborne and terrestrial lidar, UAVs, CCTV and crowdsourcing.
M.Sc. (Distinction) 2012 : Faculty of Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation (ITC), University of Twente, the Netherlands. (Erasmus funded)
B.Sc 2010 : School of Geodesy and Geomatics, Wuhan University, China.
Mar. 2014 - April 2014 : Academic Guest, Chair of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, ETH Zurich, Switzerland
July 2015 - Oct. 2015 : Research Engineer, IGN, lab MATIS, France
NERC Highlights Project ‘Flood-PREPARED’: Predicting Rainfall Events by Physical Analytics of REaltime Data, Co-I, 5/2017 - 4/2021, £1.8million.
EPSRC Preparing for GCRF - Newcastle Universtiy: Disaster Risk Reduction of Heritage Structures in Nepal, Value £19,400, 2016-2017. PI.
Global Challenges Rapid Response Travel Funding: £2,100, 7/2017.
Newton Fund Travel Opportunity - Newcastle University: £1,336, 4/2016 - 3/2017.
ISPRS Geospatial Week 2017
ISPRS Hannover Workshop 2017
ISPRS Journal of photogrammetry and remote sensing
IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing
IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing
Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing
Journal of Intelligent Transportation Systems
IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Transactions
IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters
International Journal of Remote Sensing
International Journal of Image and Graphics
Journal of Circuits, Systems, and Computers
Transport systems and vehicles
Infrastructure and urban systems
Built environment and Environmental informatics
Hazard monitoring and impact analysis
Deformation/change detection and monitoring
Dynamic scene understanding: moving object detection, tracking, time series analysis, traffic flow
Change detection: database updating, vegetation growth, erosion/deformation monitoring
3D Modeling: street environment (road, building facade, vehicle), tree
Object detection: feature extraction, localization, recognition/classification
Qian Li (PhD student, second supervisor), High-performance urban flood modelling with extremely high-resolution data;
Jiaxing Zhang (PhD student, second supervisor) Traffic flow monitoring from real time lidar data using deep learning;
Arunan Sivalingam (MSc student, second supervisor), Inspection and monitoring of old and deteriorating tunnels using laser scanning technology
CEG2723 Digital Data Acquisition Module Leader
CEG2708 Photogrammetry and Laser Scanning I Module Leader
CEG3706 Photogrammetry and Laser Scanning II Module Leader
- Coifman B, Li L, Xiao W. Resurrecting the Lost Vehicle Trajectories of Treiterer and Myers. In: Transportation Research Board Annual Meeting. 2018. In Press.
- Wang Z, Mills J, Xiao W, Huang R, Zheng S, Li Z. A Flexible, Generic Photogrammetric Approach to Zoom Lens Calibration. Remote Sensing 2017, 9(3), 1-15.
- Dhonju HK, Xiao W, Shakya B, Mills JP, Sarhosis V. Documentation of Heritage structures through geo-crowdsourcing and web-mapping. In: 5th International Workshop on Web Mapping, Geoprocessing, and Services (WebMGS 2017) during ISPRS Geospatial Week 2017. 2017, Wuhan, China: Copernicus GmbH.
- Altman S, Xiao W, Grayson B. Evaluation of low-cost terrestrial photogrammetry for 3D reconstruction of complex buildings. In: ISPRS Geospatial Week 2017. 2017, Wuhan, China: Copernicus GmbH.
- Dhonju HK, Xiao W, Sarhosis V, Mills JP, Wilkinson S, Wang Z, Thapa L, Panday US. Feasibility study of low-cost image-based heritage documentation in Nepal. In: 3D ARCH - 3D Virtual Reconstruction and Visualization of Complex Architectures: 7th International Workshop. 2017, Nafplio, Greece: ISPRS.
- Xiao W, Vallet B, Xiao Y, Mills J, Paparoditis N. Occupancy modelling for moving object detection from lidar point clouds: a comparative study. In: ISPRS Geospatial Week 2017. 2017, Wuhan, China: Copernicus GmbH.
- Xiao W, Xu S, Oude-Elberink S, Vosselman G. Individual tree crown modelling and change detection from airborne lidar data. IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing 2016, Epub ahead of print.
- Xiao W, Vallet B, Schindler K, Paparoditis N. Simultaneous detection and tracking of pedestrian from panoramic laser scanning data. In: XXIII ISPRS Congress. 2016, Prague, Czech Republic: ISPRS.
- Xiao W, Vallet B, Schindler K, Paparoditis N. Street-side vehicle detection, classification and change detection using mobile laser scanning data. ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing 2016, 114, 166-178.
- Vallet B, Xiao W, Brédif M. Extracting mobile objects in images using a velodyne lidar point cloud. In: ISPRS Annals of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences. 2015, Munich, Germany: Copernicus GmbH.
- Xiao W, Vallet B, Brédif M, Paparoditis N. Street environment change detection from mobile laser scanning point clouds. ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing 2015, 107, 38-49.
- Xiao W, Vallet B, Paparoditis N. Change Detection in 3D Point Clouds Acquired by a Mobile Mapping System. In: ISPRS Annals of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences. 2013.
- Xiao W, Xu S, Oude-Elberink S, Vosselman G. Change detection of trees in urban areas using multi-temporal airborne lidar point clouds. In: SPIE Remote Sensing. 2012.