Dr Yaodong Wang
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 4934
- Fax: +44 (0)191 208 6920
- Address: Dr Yaodong Wang (PhD MSc BSc CEng MIMechE)
Senior Lecturer Sustainable/Renewable/Clean Energy
Sir Joseph Swan Centre for Energy Research
School of Mechanical and Systems Engineering
Dr Yaodong Wang is a Senior Lecturer and a very active researcher working on sustainable, clean and renewable energy at Newcastle University, UK. He has 20 years’ experience working on 24 research projects as Principal Investigator (PI), Co-investigator (Co-I) and Researcher, (10 multi-disciplinary and multi-institutional); including: Miller Cycle petrol and diesel engines; Flameless Oxidation to reduce NOx emissions from gas turbine and power plant; biofuel petrol/diesel engine; biofuel trigeneration and cogeneration with energy storage; energy systems such as biomass/coal thermal power stations: coal and biomass combustion and gasification; organic Rankine cycle; renewable energy systems (wind solar; biomass, water/hydropower); thermal energy management in processing industries; building energy saving using passive and active methods. He has published over 130 papers in peer-reviewed journals (>60) and conference proceedings (76); Invited reviewer for 12 international journals and Section Chair for 10 international conferences. He has supervised and supervising over 30 research students (12 PhD and 11 MPhil graduated).
PhD in Mechanical Engineering (Outcomes from the research: 5 conference papers; 4 journal papers.)
MSc in Mechanical Engineering (Distinction. Outcomes from the research: publised 3 journal papers )
Postgraduate Diploma in Mechanical Engineering
BSc (First Class: 92.3/100 ) in Mechanical Engineering
Chartered Engineer (CEng), Member of The Institute of Mechanical Engineers (MIMechE)
Member of EPSRC Full College, UK.
Recipient of the Environmental Initiative Awards 2015, Newcastle University, April 2015
1) Member of ‘Energy Reports’ (Elsevier) Journal Editorial Boards (March 2016 – present)
2) Member of EPSRC Full College, UK (June 2017).
3) Guest Editor of Special Issue on Thermal Energy Management, Applied Energy, volume 89, issue 1, January 2012.
4) Invited as the reviewers to review papers/articles for 12 international journals including: Fuel; Applied Energy; Applied Thermal Engineering; Renewable Energy; Fuel Processing Technology; International Journal of Thermal Sciences; Energy & Fuels; International Journal of Energy Research; International Journal of HydrogenEnergy; Energy Conversion and Management; Chemical Engineering Research and Design; Chinese Journal of Chemical Engineering; International Journal of Ambient Energy
5) Section Chair for 10 international Conferences: International Conferences on Applied Energy (ICAE) 2017 in Cardiff; ICAE Conference 2016 in Beijing; SusTEM Conference 2015, Newcastle Upon Tyne, July 2015; ICAE 2015 in Abu Dhabi, March 2015; ICAE 2014 in Taipei, May-June 2014; ICAE 2013 in Pretoria, South Africa; and ICAE 2012 in Suzhou of China); Sustainable Thermal Energy Management in Process Industry (The 2nd PRO-TEM Network Conference - SusTEM2011, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK); 9th International Conference on Sustainable Energy Technologies (SET2010, Shanghai, China). Sustainable Thermal Energy Management in Process Industry (The 1st PRO-TEM Network Conference, SusTEM2010).
6) External Examiner for 10 PhD’s and 1 MPhil’s theses; Internal Examiners for 11 PhD’s theses.
7) Independent Chair for 2 PhD viva in Newcastle University.
1. SPG8001 Renewable Energy: Resources (Module Leader, 10 Credits)
2. MAR8101 Advanced Marine Engineering Design ( 10 Credits)
3. SPG8029 Energy Storage ( 10 Credits)
4. MEC8095 Mechanical and Systems Engineering Project (60 Credits)
- Combined Heat and Power System for King’s Gate building – Design and Simulation
- Earth to Air Heat Exchanger System for King’s Gate Building at Newcastle University
5. MAR8098 : Marine MSc Dissertation (80 Credits)
- Ship Energy Performance, Simulation, and Optimization
- Ultra slow and Low emission ships
6. SPG8095 Renewable Energy: Masters Projects' supervision (60 Credits)
Renewable/Sustainable energy system design and evaluation
- A Feasibility Study of a Distributed Sustainable and Renewable Electricity System in Germany
- A sustainable low impact solution design of a combined heat and power (CHP) system for a small structure (house, shed) in a woodland
- A micro combined heat and power (CHP) using biomass gasification/gas turbine for a non-grid settlement in north-east England
- Design of a Biogas Cogeneration System for a house in the woodland
- A distributed hybrid generation system of Solar Panels and Wind Turbines for the household in the UK
- Biowaste from palm industry for energy
- Study of a hybrid wind turbine and solar PV power system for remote telecommunication facility application
- Study of a Hybrid Wind-Diesel Electricity Power Plant for an Island Application - Case Study : Nangalili West Flores
- Analysis of current power generation system and proposal for novel optimised renewable energy generation system on the Isle of Eigg
- Investigating the integration of micro-generation sources into a MicroGrid system for remote area application
- Study of Hybrid Energy System in Redang Island
- Study of a renewable hybrid system for household energy supply
- Study of a combined system of Trigeneration with desalination
Experimental study on renewable fuels for engine generator, cogeneration/trigeneration to reduce emissions
- Studies on Usage of Straight Vegetable oils as fuel for diesel engines
- Experimental study of Trigeneration using sunflower oil
- Experimental study of Trigeneration using rapeseed oil
- Experimental Study on the Performance and Emission Characteristics of Diesel Engine Based Small Scale CHP system running on Jatropha Oil and diesel *
- Studies on Cogeneration system using waste vegetable oil for diesel engines *
- Experimental Study on the Performance and Emission Characteristics of a Diesel Engine Based Small-Scale CHP system running on Sunflower Oil and diesel *
- Experimental Study on the Performance and Emission Characteristics of a Diesel Engine Based Small-Scale CHP system running on waste cooking oil and diesel *
* These 4 Reflex MSc students’ projects were parts of the Newcastle City and North East waste oil CHP project with CoRE (a social enterprise in the North East) in Alnwick, Northumberland, which was visited by the Energy and Climate Change minister, Joan Ruddock MP, in the summer of 2009. This project was awarded a £20,000 grant under the Big Green Challenge.
Waste to energy
- An Experimental Study for the Application of Refuse Derived Fuel (RDF) to Cement Industry
- A study of the utilisation of the bio-wastes to generate biogas to meet the energy demand in the production process of potato crisps
- A study of biogas production from the local bio-wastes and its application to a combined heat and power system
Hydrogen generation and application
- Hydrogen Production Using Excess Power from Temburong Hydroelectric Power Station
- An computational study of the use of hydrogen as the fuel to a diesel engine based CHP & Trigeneration
Biomass / solar energy
- A study of biogas production and its application to energy systems
- Design and evaluation of a solar organic Rankine Cycle power plant in Lembata Island
- Biomass gasification integrated with a household trigeneration
Modelling of energy system and power generation
- Study of the Performance and Efficiency of a Trigeneration Based on a Diesel Generator Using Thermodynamic Modelling
- Study of the performance and efficiency of a CHP system based on bio-fuel using thermodynamic modelling
- A study of waste heat from thermal power plant fuelled with fossil fuel oil and renewable nyamplung oil (Calophyllum Inophyllum L) to drive absorption chillers for cooling in East Kalimantan
- Modelling and assessment of electrical energy storage system and the integration with fuel cell system
- Modelling and Assessment of the Application of a Biofuel Trigeneration System to a Three-bedroom House in the UK
Industrial – energy related projects
- NaREC - Wind turbine drive-train test stand heat recovery system design
- Investigation of household electricity consumption in the UK
- Application Study of a Tri-generation System in a Restaurant Fuelled with Waste Cooking Oil and bio-diesel converted from waste Cooling Oil
- Design and analysis of an anaerobic digester to feed a biogs fuelled boiler for a medium sized industrial enterprise
- Energy usage investigation and evaluation of a Brewery
- Design & Analysis of a Biogas Fuelled Trigeneration System for a Brewery
- Integrated study of energy consumption and optimisation in a brewery
- Energy Reduction & Renewable Opportunities for the Newcastle University Kings Gate Building
- Experimental study of an energy storage system for bio-oil trigeneration
- An application study of CHP/trigeneration in a food process industry
Research Interests / Experience
1. Distributed renewable energy systems
2. Combined heat and power(CHP)
3. Cogeneration of power and cooling driven by low grade heat
4. Trigeneration (Combined cooling, heating and power)
5. Low grade heat driven absorption refrigeration
6. Coal/Biomass power plant simulation and evaluation
7. Biomass/bio-wastes to energy through gasification or anaerobic digestion
8. Biogas energy system
9. Vegetable oil application to diesel engines and CHP
10. Ethanol/methanol application to petrol engines
11. Ethanol application to diesel engine
12. Miller cycle application to reduce NOx emissions from petrol engines
13. Miller cycle application to reduce NOx emissions from diesel engines
14. Flameless oxidation to reduce NOx emissions from power plant/gas turbine
Funded research projects:
Project No. Project Title Role Funder Work Start Work End Outcomes (Publications)
British Council Newton Fund: Trilateral Workshop (UK, South Africa and Kenya) on ‘Increased food security through improved postharvest systems using renewable and sustainable energy for rural communities’, PI; 01/04/2017 31/01/2018; £54,000). Outcome: A formal report submitted.
N8 LPP Industrial: Feasibility study of renewable bio-energy agri-product dryer. (PI; 01/06/2017 – 30/08/2017; N8 Local Pump Priming (LPP) Funding; £7995.) Outcome: A prototype dryer designed and in manufacturing.
EPSRC Prosperity Outcomes: Feasibility study of carbon based Nanomaterials to enhance heat transfer and efficiency for chemisorption cooling and power cogeneration system (EP/P511201/1, Institutional Sponsorship 2016- Newcastle University, PI, 09/2016 – 03/2017, £22,000). Outcome: published 2 papers on journals; 3 papers on conference proceedings.
EPSRC Global Challenges Research Fund Institutional Sponsorship Award 2016 - Institutional Sponsorship Funding for 2016 - 2017, Preparing for GCRF Award: Optimisation of different solar dryers used in Sub-Saharan Africa using computational fluid dynamics (CFD), PI, 08/2016 – 03/2017, £19,838. Outcome: A paper published by ‘Journal of Cleaner Production’.
EPSRC IAA Phase 2 - Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) enabled optimisation of a hybrid solar dryer for sub-Saharan Africa, PI, 07/2016 – 03/2017, £14,660. Outcome: 1 paper published by ‘Journal of Cleaner Production’.
The UK Royal Society, India-UK Scientific Seminars, (Co-I, 10/01/2015 -14/01/2015)
EPSRC funded: Low Grade Heat Driven Adsorption-linear-expander Cycle for Cogeneration of Power and Refrigeration (EP/I027904/1, PI, 2011 – 2014, £102,989. Outcome: published 4 papers in journals; 2 papers on the Proceedings of ICAE 2014 Conference.)
EPSRC funded: GLOBAL - Sustainable Energy through China-UK Research Engagement (EP/K004689/1, Co-I 2012 – 2013, £58,026):
Theme 1 Trigeneration with Integrated Energy Storage & Biofuel Use (Theme Leader)
Collaboration with Shanghai Jiaotong University, Guangxi University, Institute of Engineering Thermophysics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Jishou University. 2 papers published on journals and 1 paper published on the Proceedings of ICAE 2014.
Theme 3 Low Grade Heat Driven Cogeneration of Power & Cooling (Theme Leader) - Collaboration with Shanghai Jiaotong University. Outcome: 1 paper published in journal.
Theme 6 Thermal Energy Management in Processing Industries (Theme Leader)
Collaboration with Institute of Engineering Thermophysics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Jishou University, Guizhou University. Outcome: Outcome: 1 paper published on journal and 1 on the Proceedings of ICAE 2014 International Conference.
Theme 11 Optimal Management of Water Resources and Flood Risk for Hydropower Generation - Collaboration with Dalian University of Technology, 1 paper published in journal.
11. EU ERDF funded Project: O2 : Research into Oxygen Enrichment Systems for Micro-CHP Boiler Units, PI, 2010 – 2011, £18,324. Outcome: a final report)
12. EU funded: Adsor-Resor Cycle for power and cooling generation (FP7-PEOPLE/253106, EU Marie Currie Fellowship, Co-I, 2010 – 2011, £42,909. Outcome: 1 paper in journal and 1 in international conference.
13. EPSRC funded, BMT-CES: Biofuel Micro-Trigeneration with Cryogenic Energy Storage (EP/F061978/1, Co-I, six universities involved, total £1.1 million. 2008 – 2012, £334,249. Outcome: 6 papers on high impact journals; 5 papers on international conferences).
14. EPSRC funded: Thermal Management of Industrial Processes (EP/G056706/1, Co-I, 2009 – 2011, £98,955. Outcome: 2 papers in high impact journals; three papers in international conferences)
15. EU ERDF funded CHP Trigeneration and Energy Storage, Co-I, 2009 – 2012
16. EU FP7-TRANSPORT project (FP7-TRANSPORT/266030): ULYSSES Ultra Slow Ships (Co-I, 2011 – 2013, £67,679). Outcome: 1 paper for ‘2nd International Conference on Technologies, Operations, Logistics and Modelling for Low Carbon Shipping’
THE DESIGN, TESTING AND ANALYSIS OF A BIOFUEL MICRO-TRIGENERATION SYSTEM
Integration and Optimisation of Bio-fuel Micro-Tri-Generation with Energy Storage
An investigation into the energy and control implications of adaptive comfort in a modern office building
Dynamic Energy Demand Prediction and Related Control System for UK Households
AN INVESTIGATION OF AN ADSORPTION COGENERATION SYSTEM FOR POWER AND COOLING USING LOW GRADE HEAT
A RESORPTION COGENERATION CYCLE FOR POWER AND REFRIGERATION
Using natural gas to meet latent energy demand in Nigeria and deliver economic advantage
Methods to move to Zero Energy Commercial Building (ZECB) for the future
Utilisation of heat and organic wastes for energy recovery in the food and drink industry
- Application of the Thermoelectric Heat Exchange Module Combined with Renewable Energy for UK Domestic Heating
Sustainable buildings and sustainable energy system for buildings
Control and optimisation of a micro biofuel generation/ trigeneration with energy storage
Identification and reduction of environmental impacts of algae biofuel production
A COMPREHENSIVE MODEL FOR INTEGRATING RENEWABLE ENERGY INTO MALAYSIA’S FUTURE ELECTRICITY SUPPLY MIX
An Assessment of Hot Air Circulation Tray Dryer Powered with Anaerobic Digestion Biogas to Address Energy Poverty of Nigerian Rural Communities
Life Cycle Assessment: Sustainability of Electricity Production in the UK
Design and optimisation of a linear generator driven by a free piston engine
Supercritical injection of dual fuels for diesel engines
Design and optimization of a micro hydro turbine system with solar thermal water pumped storage and PV- battery storage for off-grid rural areas
Application and Optimisation of Solar Photovoltaic Thermal Energy with Different Storage Systems
Enhancement of Low Grade Heat driven adsorption cooling and power by nano materials
Thermochemical sorption tri-generation system for energy storage and energy demand reduction
Energy management and emission reduction in industrial production process
MPhil (Master of Philosophy) Supervision
- Numerical Simulation of an Organic Rankine Cycle Using Scroll Expander in Geothermal Energy Applications
- Combined Solar Power and Cooling System Using an Organic Rankine Cycle
- EXPERIMENTAL AND COMPUTATIONAL STUDY OF ALGAE TO ENERGY: ALGAL GROWTH WITH CO2 FIXATION, OIL EXTRACTION AND AS FUEL FOR ENGINE
- Study of a micro smart grid to meet the dynamic demand of a household using renewable energy sources
- Investigating and optimizing the adsorbent pairs utilized in thermochemical resorption cycle
- Sustainable industry: utilisation of organic wastes from production process for energy supply
- Miller Cycle application to diesel and free piston engines
- Sustainable Building: Household Energy Demand Management using Retrofitting and Passive Energy Saving Methods
- Development and optimization of an organic Rankine cycle system driven by waste heat from diesel engines
- Application of nano-carbon catalysts in diesel/bio-diesel fuel blends to improve diesel engines performance and reduce exhaust emissions
- TECHNO-ECONOMIC ANALYSIS OF BIO-METHANE PRODUCTION FROM ANAEROBIC CO-DIGESTION
- Sustainable Building: Household Energy Demand Management using Retrofitting and Passive Energy Saving Methods
Previous research projects1. New Burner Technologies for power generation for Biofuels (EU research project, project Research Associate, 2005 – 2006). 2. SUPERGEN Biomass, Biofuels and Energy Crops Consortium (EPSRC funded, project Research Associate, 2005 – 2006 ) 3. Innovative In Situ CO2 Capture Technology for Solid Fuel Gasification (EU research project, project Research Associate, 2004 – 2005). 4. Upgrading of High Moisture Low Rank Coal to Hydrogen and Methane (EU research project, project Research Associate, 2004 – 2005). 5. Theoretical and experimental investigation of a small Tri-generation (Combined Heat, Power and refrigeration), (university funded project, PhD researcher, 2000 – 2004). 6. Experimental Investigation of the performance of a small CHP (diesel gen-set) using vegetable oil as the alternative fuel (university funded project, Visiting researcher, 1999-2000). 7. Experimental Investigation of using Miller Cycle to reduce NOx emission from petrol engine (university funded project, Visiting researcher, 1999-2000). 8. Experimental Investigation of using Miller Cycle to reduce NOx emission from diesel engine (university funded project, Visiting researcher, 1999-2000).
- Aguilar MC, Wang YD, Roskilly AP, Pathare P, Lamidia R. Biogas from anaerobic co-digestion of food waste and primary sludge for cogeneration of power and heat. Energy Procedia 2018, 142, 70-76.
- Lamidi RO, Wang YD, Pathare PB, Roskilly AP, Aguilara MC. Biogas Tri-generation for Postharvest Processing of Agricultural Products in a Rural Community: Techno-economic Perspectives. Energy Procedia 2018, 142, 63-69.
- Liang X, Wang YD, Royapoor M, Wu QB, Roskilly AP. Comparison of building performance between Conventional House and Passive House in the UK. Energy Procedia 2018, 142, 1823-1828.
- Wu QB, Xie XL, Wang YD, Roskilly AP. Experimental investigations on diesel engine performance and emissions using biodiesel adding with carbon coated aluminum nanoparticles. Energy Procedia 2018, 142, 3603-3608.
- Haiges R, Wang YD, Ghoshray A, Roskilly AP. Optimization of Malaysia’s power generation mix to meet the electricity demand by 2050. Energy Procedia 2018, 1452, 2844-2851.
- Luo LQ, Wang YD, Chen HS, Zhang XJ, Roskilly AP. ORC units driven by engine waste heat – a simulation study. Energy Procedia 2018, 142.
- Purdy A, Pathare PB, Wang YD, Roskilly AP, Huang Y. Towards sustainable farming: Feasibility study into energy recovery from bio-wastes on a small-scale dairy farm. Journal of Cleaner Production 2018, 174, 899-904.
- Li T, Roskilly AP, Wang Y. A Regional Life Cycle Sustainability Assessment Approach and its Application on Solar Photovoltaic. In: 8th International Conference on Applied Energy (ICAE2016). 2017, Beijing, China: Elsevier Ltd.
- Wang C, Calderon C, Wang Y. An experimental study of a thermoelectric heat exchange module for domestic space heating. Energy and Buildings 2017, 145, 1-21.
- Liang X, Wang Y, Zhang Y, Jiang J, Chen H, Zhang X, Guo H, Roskilly T. Analysis and Optimization on Energy Performance of a Rural House in Northern China Using Passive Retrofitting. In: 8th International Conference on Applied Energy (ICAE2016). 2017, Beijing, China: Elsevier Ltd.
- Lu YJ, Roskilly AP, Smallbone A, Yu XL, Wang YD. Design and Parametric Study of an Organic Rankine Cycle using a Scroll Expander for Engine Waste Heat Recovery. Energy Procedia 2017, 105, 1420-1425.
- Tang K, Lu YJ, Jiang L, Roskilly AP, Yuan Y, Wang YD. Development and testing of novel Chemisorption Composite using SrCl2-NEG adding with Carbon coated Ni and Al. Energy Procedia 2017, 142, 4037-4043.
- Lamidi R, Wang YD, Pathare PB, Roskilly AP. Evaluation of CHP for Electricity and Drying of Agricultural Products in a Nigerian Rural Community. Energy Procedia 2017, 105, 47-54.
- Zhang ZC, Lu YJ, Ren HL, Roskilly AP, Chen LF, Smallbone A, Wang YD. Experimental and Numerical Investigation on the Macroscopic Characteristics of Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil (HVO) Spray. Energy Procedia 2017, 142, 474-480.
- Wu QB, Lu YJ, Tang K, Wang YD, Roskilly AP, Zhang HY. Experimental Exploration of a Novel Chemisorption Composite of SrCl2-NEG Adding with Carbon Coated Ni. Energy Procedia 2017, 105, 4655-4660.
- Ji J, Zheng X, He C, Zhang Z, Wang Y, Roskilly T. Experimental Study for a Micro Smart Grid to Meet the Energy Demand of a Household. In: 8th International Conference on Applied Energy (ICAE2016). 2017, Beijing, China: Elsevier Ltd.
- Wang Y, Chen L, Jia B, Roskilly AP. Experimental study of the operation characteristics of an air-driven free-piston linear expander. Applied Energy 2017, 195, 93-99.
- Haiges R, Wang YD, Ghoshray A, Roskilly AP. Forecasting Electricity Generation Capacity in Malaysia: An Auto Regressive Integrated Moving Average Approach. In: 8th International Conference on Applied Energy (ICAE2016). 2017, Beijing, China: Elsevier Ltd.
- Wang YD. Increased food security through improved postharvest systems using renewable and sustainable energy for rural communities. In: UK - Kenya - South Africa Trilateral Workshop. 2017, Stellenbosch, South Africa.
- Lu YJ, Roskilly AP, Tang K, Wang YD, Long J, Yuan Y, Wang LW. Investigation and performance study of a dual-source chemisorption power generation cycle using scroll expander. Applied Energy 2017, 204, 979-993.
- Long J, Lu YJ, Tang K, Roskilly AP, Wang Y, Yuan Y, Wang RZ, Wang LW. Investigation of a novel composite sorbent for improved sorption characteristic. Energy Procedia 2017, 142, 1455-1461.
- Jiang L, Lu YJ, Tang K, Wang YD, Wang R, Roskilly AP, Wang L. Investigation on heat and mass transfer performance of novel composite strontium chloride for sorption reactors. Applied Thermal Engineering 2017, 121, 410-418.
- Li TQ, Roskilly AP, Wang YD. Life cycle sustainability assessment of grid-connected photovoltaic power generation: A case study of Northeast England. Applied Energy 2017, epub ahead of print.
- Li T, Wang Y, Roskilly AP. Measuring sustainability: Life cycle approach to regional sustainability assessment on electricity options. In: 2016 International Conference for Students on Applied Engineering, ICSAE 2016. 2017, Newcastle upon Tyne: Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Inc.
- Wan Mohd Nazi WIB, Royapoor M, Wang Y, Roskilly AP. Office building cooling load reduction using thermal analysis method – A case study. Applied Energy 2017, 185(Part 2), 1574–1584.
- Kennedy N, Miao C, Wu Q, Wang Y, Ji J, Roskilly T. Optimal Hybrid Power System Using Renewables and Hydrogen for an Isolated Island in the UK. In: 8th International Conference on Applied Energy (ICAE2016). 2017, Beijing, China: Elsevier Ltd.
- Lu YJ, Roskilly AP, Yu XL, Tang K, Jiang L, Smallbone A, Chen LF, Wang YD. Parametric study for small scale engine coolant and exhaust heat recovery system using different Organic Rankine cycle layouts. Applied Thermal Engineering 2017, 127, 1252-1266.
- Nazi WI, Wang YD, Chen HS, Zhang XJ, Roskilly AP. Passive Cooling Using Phase Change Material and Insulation for Highrise Office Building in Tropical Climate. Energy Procedia 2017, 142, 2295-2302.
- Ji J, He C, Xiao Z, Miao C, Luo L, Chen H, Zhang X, Guo H, Wang Y, Roskilly T. Simulation Study of an ORC System Driven by the Waste Heat Recovered from a Trigeneration System. In: 8th International Conference on Applied Energy (ICAE2016). 2017, Beijing, China: Elsevier Ltd.
- Lu YJ, Roskilly AP, Wang YD, Wang LW. Study of a Novel Dual-source Chemisorption Power Generation System Using Scroll Expander. Energy Procedia 2017, 105, 921-926.
- Zhang XJ, Xu YJ, Xu J, Sheng Y, Zuo ZT, Liu JM, Chen HS, Wang YD, Huang Y. Study on the performance and optimization of a scroll expander driven by compressed air. Applied Energy 2017, 186(Part 3), 347-358.
- Wu Q, Qiang TC, Zeng G, Zhang H, Huang Y, Wang Y. Sustainable and Renewable Energy from Biomass Wastes in Palm Oil Industry: A Case Study in Malaysia. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 2017, Epub ahead of print.
- Huang Y, Chen HS, Zhang XJ, Keatley P, Huang MJ, Vorushylo I, Wang YD, Hewitt NJ. Techno-economic Modelling of Large Scale Compressed Air Energy Storage Systems. In: 8th International Conference on Applied Energy (ICAE2016). 2017, Beijing, China: Elsevier Ltd.
- Yuan JD, Xu JL, Wang YD. Techno-economic study of a distributed hybrid renewable energy system supplying electrical power and heat for a rural house in China. In: 2017 International Conference on Renewable Energy and Environment (ICREE 2017). 2017, Toronto, Canada: IOP Publishing.
- Liang X, Royapoor M, Wang Y, Roskilly T. The energy and indoor environmental performance of super-insulated dwellings – A fabric optimisation case study in the UK. In: 4th Sustainable Thermal Energy Management International Conference (SusTEM2017). 2017, Alkmaar, The Netherlands.
- Wu Q, Lin S, Xie Z, Zhang L, Qian Y, Wang Y, Zhang H. Tunable upconversion luminescence of monodisperse Y2O3: Er3+/Yb3+/Tm3+ nanoparticles. Applied Surface Science 2017, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Liang X, Royapoor M, Wang Y, Roskilly AP. Evaluation of energy and indoor environmental performance of a UK passive house dwelling. In: Building Simulation & Optimisation 2016. 2016, Newcastle upon Tyne.
- Huang Y, Wang Y, Chen H, Zhang X, Mondol JD, Shah N, Hewitt N. Performance analysis of biofuel fired trigeneration systems with energy storage for remote households. Applied Energy 2016, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Lu Y, Wang Y, Bao H, Yuan Y, Wang L, Roskilly AP. Analysis of an optimal resorption cogeneration using mass and heat recovery processes. Applied Energy 2015, 160, 892–901.
- Su ZY, Wang YD, Roskilly T, Huang Y. Analysis of energy utilization and waste in China's processing industry based on a case study. In: The 7th International Conference on Applied Energy (ICAE2015). 2015, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates: Elsevier BV.
- Huang Y, Anderson M, McIlveen-Wright D, Lyons GA, McRoberts WC, Wang YD, Roskilly AP, Hewitt NJ. Biochar and renewable energy generation from poultry litter waste: A technical and economic analysis based on computational simulations. Applied Energy 2015, 160, 656-663.
- Lu YJ, Wang YD, Dong CX, Wang LW, Roskilly AP. Design and assessment on a novel integrated system for power and refrigeration using waste heat from diesel engine. Applied Thermal Engineering 2015, 91, 591-599.
- Othman NF, Ya'acob ME, Abdul-Rahim AS, Othman MS, Radzi MAM, Hizam H, Wang YD, Ya'acob AM, Jaafar HZE. Embracing new agriculture commodity through integration of Java Tea as high Value Herbal crops in solar PV farms. Journal of Cleaner Production 2015, 91, 71-77.
- Lu YJ, Wang YD, Wang LW, Yuan Y, Liu Z, Roskilly AP. Experimental Investigation of a Scroll Expander for Power Generation Part of a Resorption Cogeneration. Energy Procedia 2015, 75, 1027-1032.
- Huang H, Liu Q, Yang R, Zhu T, Zhao R, Wang Y. Investigation on the effects of pilot injection on low temperature combustion in high-speed diesel engine fueled with n-butanol–diesel blends. Energy Conversion and Management 2015, 106, 748-758.
- Nazi WIW, Wang YD, Roskilly T. Methodologies to Reduce Cooling Load using Heat Balance Analysis: A Case Study in an Office Building in a Tropical Country. Energy Procedia 2015, 75, 1269-1274.
- Lu D, Wang BD, Wang YD, Zhou HC, Liang QH, Peng Y, Roskilly AP. Optimal operation of cascade hydropower stations using hydrogen as storage medium. Applied Energy 2015, 137, 56–63.
- Sturm B, Meyers S, Zhang Y, Law R, Siquerios Valencia EJ, Bao H, Wang Y, Chen H. Process intensification and integration of solar heat generation in the Chinese condiment sector - A case study of a medium sized Beijing based factory. Energy Conversion and Management 2015, 106, 1295–1308.
- Liang X, Wang Y, Roskilly T. Reduce Household Energy Consumption Using Passive Methods. Energy Procedia 2015, 75, 1335-1340.
- Ogban PU, Siqueiros E, Wang Y, Huang Y, Roskilly AP. Waste to Energy: a Case Study in a City of Nigeria. In: 5th International Conference on Solid Waste Management. 2015, at National Science Seminar Complex, Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru, India.
- Siqueiros E, Edwards S, Wang Y, Roskilly AP, Graham D. Waste utilisation for energy production in a Microbrewery: A Case Study. In: 5th International Conference on Solid Waste Management. 2015, Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru, India.
- Bao HS, Wang YD, Charalambous C, Lu ZS, Wang LW, Wang RZ, Roskilly AP. Chemisorption cooling and electric power cogeneration system driven by low grade heat. Energy 2014, 72(1), 590-598.
- Yan Y, Lu YJ, Bao HS, Wang YD, Wang W, Roskilly AP. Investigation of a Heat Pipe Heat Exchanger Integrated with a Water Spray for the Heat Recovery from Boil Exhaust Gas. Energy Procedia 2014, 61, 2141-2144.
- Bao HS, Wang YD, Roskilly AP. Modelling of a chemisorption refrigeration and power cogeneration system. Applied Energy 2014, 119, 351-362.
- Lu YJ, Bao HS, Yan Y, Wang YD, Wang LW, Roskilly AP. Optimisation of a Novel Resorption Cogeneration Using Mass and Heat Recovery. Energy Procedia 2014, 61, 1103-1106.
- Yu H, Wang Y, Wu D, Roskilly AP, Chen H, Tan C. Performance of a Micro-Cogeneration System Running with PreheatedRaw Vegetable Oils. Applied Mechanics and Materials 2014, 448-453, 2819-2824.
- Hua JY, Chen YP, Wang YD, Roskilly AP. Thermodynamic analysis of ammonia-water power/chilling cogeneration cycle with low-grade waste heat. Applied Thermal Engineering 2014, 64(1-2), 483-490.
- Siqueiros E, Wang YD, Sturm B, Law R, Li KG, Roskilly AP, Huang Y. Waste Utilization in a Spirit Plant as Alternative to Fossil Fuels. Energy Procedia 2014, 61, 1208-1212.
- Ammar Y, Chen Y, Joyce S, Wang Y, Roskilly A, Swailes D. Evaluation of low grade heat transport in the process industry using absorption processes. Applied Thermal Engineering 2013, 53(2), 217-225.
- Wang LW, Ziegler F, Roskilly AP, Wang RU, Wang YD. A resorption cycle for the cogeneration of electricity and refrigeration. Applied Energy 2013, 106, 56-64.
- Huang Y, Wang YD, Rezvani S, McIlveen-Wright DR, Anderson M, Mondol J, Zacharopolous A, Hewitt NJ. A techno-economic assessment of biomass fuelled trigeneration system integrated with organic Rankine cycle. Applied Thermal Engineering 2013, 53(2), 325-331.
- Huang Y, Mcllveen-Wright DR, Rezvani S, Huang MJ, Wang YD, Roskilly AP, Hewitt NJ. Comparative Techno-Economic Analysis of Biomass Fuelled Combined Heat and Power for Commercial Buildings. Applied Energy 2013, 112, 518-525.
- Ammar Y, Chen Y, Joyce S, Wang Y, Roskilly AP, Swailes D. Evaluation of low grade heat transport in the process industry using absorption processes. Applied Thermal Engineering 2013, 53(2), 217-225.
- Wang YD, Ronilaya F, Chen XP, Roskilly AP. Modelling and simulation of a distributed power generation system with energy storage to meet dynamic household electricity demand. Applied Thermal Engineering 2013, 50(1), 523-535.
- Gu HY, Zhang K, Wang YD, Huang Y, Hewitt N, Roskilly AP. Waste biomass from production process co-firing with coal in a steam boiler to reduce fossil fuel consumption: A case study. Journal of Energy Chemistry 2013, 22(3), 413-419.
- Chen XP, Wang YD, Yu HD, Wu DW, Li YP, Roskilly AP. A domestic CHP system with hybrid electrical energy storage. Energy and Buildings 2012, 55, 361-368.
- Chen XP, Wang YD, Li JT, Roskilly AP. Hybrid Electrical Storage and Power System for Household Tr-generation Application. In: 2nd International Conference on Energy, Environment and Sustainable Development (EESD 2012). 2012, Jilin, China: Trans Tech Publications.
- Chen XP, Wang YD, Li JT, Roskilly AP. Hybrid Electrical Storage and Power System for Household Tri-generation Application. Advanced Materials Research 2012, 614-615, 829-836.
- Ammar Y, Joyce S, Norman R, Wang YD, Roskilly AP. Low grade thermal energy sources and uses from the process industry in the UK. Applied Energy 2012, 89(1), 3-20.
- Roskilly AP, Wang Y. Special issue: Sustainable thermal energy management in the process industries conference (SusTEM2010). Applied Energy 2012, 89(1), 1-2.
- Sturm B, Butcher M, Wang YD, Huang Y, Roskilly AP. The feasibility of the sustainable energy supply from bio wastes for a small brewery - A case study. Applied Thermal Engineering 2012, 39, 45-52.
- Wang YD, Huang Y, Chiremba E, Roskilly AP, Hewitt N, Ding YL, Wu DW, Yu HD, Chen XP, Li YP, Huang JC, Wang RZ, Wu JY, Xia ZZ, Tan CQ. An investigation of a household size trigeneration running with hydrogen. Applied Energy 2011, 88(6), 2176-2182.
- Huang Y, Wang YD, Rezvani S, McIlveen-Wright DR, Anderson M, Hewitt NJ. Biomass fuelled trigeneration system in selected buildings. Energy Conversion and Management 2011, 52(6), 2448-2454.
- Huang JC, Lin L, Wang YD, Qin JB, Roskilly AP, Li LL, Ouyang TC, Yu YH. Experimental study of the performance and emission characteristics of diesel engine using direct and indirect injection systems and different fuels. Fuel Processing Technology 2011, 92(7), 1380-1386.
- Huang JC, Wang YD, Qin JB, Roskilly AP. Comparative study of performance and emissions of a diesel engine using Chinese pistache and jatropha biodiesel. Fuel Processing Technology 2010, 91(11), 1761-1767.
- Sturm B, Wang YD, Huang Y, Ammar Y, Joyce S, Roskilly AP. Energy Generation from bio-wastes in a brewery – A case study. In: 9th International Conference on Sustainable Energy Technologies. 2010, Shanghai, China.
- Wang YD, Huang Y, Roskilly AP, Ding YL, Hewitt N. Trigeneration running with raw jatropha oil. Fuel Processing Technology 2010, 91(3), 348-353.
- Mikalsen R, Wang YD, Roskilly AP. A comparison of Miller and Otto cycle natural gas engines for small scale CHP applications. Applied Energy 2009, 86(6), 922-927.
- Huang JC, Wang YD, Li SD, Roskilly AP, Yu HD, Li HF. Experimental investigation on the performance and emissions of a diesel engine fuelled with ethanol-diesel blends. Applied Thermal Engineering 2009, 29(11-12), 2484-2490.
- Wang Y, Huang Y, Roskilly AP. Trigeneration integrated with absorption enhanced reforming of lignite and biomass. Fuel 2009, 88(10), 2004-2010.
- Wang Y, Lin L, Zeng S, Huang J, Roskilly AP, He Y, Huang X, Li S. Application of the Miller cycle to reduce NOx emissions from petrol engines. Applied Energy 2008, 85(6), 463-474.
- Roskilly AP, Nanda SK, Wang YD, Chirkowski J. The performance and the gaseous emissions of two small marine craft diesel engines fuelled with biodiesel. Applied Thermal Engineering 2008, 28(8-9), 872-880.
- Wang Y, Roskilly AP, Huang Y. Trigeneration Integrated with Absorption Enhanced Reforming of Lignite and Biomass. In: 7th European Conference on Coal Research & Its Applications. 2008, Cardiff University, Cardiff, Wales, UK.
- McIlveen-Wright DR, Huang Y, Rezvani S, Wang YD. A technical and environmental analysis of co-combustion of coal and biomass in fluidised bed technologies. Fuel 2007, 86(14), 2032-2042.
- Wang Y, Lin L, Roskilly AP, Zeng S, Huang J, He Y, Huang X, Huang H, Wei H, Li S, Yang J. An analytic study of applying Miller cycle to reduce NOx emission from petrol engine. Applied Thermal Engineering 2007, 27(11-12), 1779-1789.
- Rezvani S, Huang Y, McIlveen-Wright D, Hewitt N, Wang YD. Comparative assessment of sub-critical versus advanced super-critical oxyfuel fired PF boilers with CO2 sequestration facilities. Fuel 2007, 86(14), 2134-2143.
- Wang YD, McIlveen-Wright D, Huang Y, Hewitt N, Eames P, Rezvani S, McMullan J, Roskilly AP. The application of FLOX/COSTAIR technologies to reduce NOx emissions from coal/biomass fired power plant: A technical assessment based on computational simulation. Fuel 2007, 86(14), 2101-2108.
- Wang YD, Huang Y, McIlveen-Wright D, McMullan J, Hewitt N, Eames P, Rezvani S. A techno-economic analysis of the application of continuous staged-combustion and flameless oxidation to the combustor design in gas turbines. Fuel Processing Technology 2006, 87(8), 727-736.
- Wang YD, Huang Y, McMullan J, Hewitt N, Eames P, McIlveen-Wright D, Rezvani S. Absorption enhanced reforming of lignite integrated with molten carbonate fuel cell. Fuel 2006, 85(14-15), 2133-2140.
- Wang YD, Al-Shemmeri T, Eames P, McMullan J, Hewitt N, Huang Y, Rezvani S. An experimental investigation of the performance and gaseous exhaust emissions of a diesel engine using blends of a vegetable oil. Applied Thermal Engineering 2006, 26(14-15), 1684-1691.
- Wang YD, McIlveen-Wright D, Huang Y, Rezvani S, Hewitt N, Eames P, McMullan J. An Investigation of a Sustainable Biomass Fuelled Household Size Trigeneration. In: 2nd International Conference of Renewable Energy in Maritime Island Climates (REMIC 2). 2006, Dublin Institute of Technology, Dublin, Ireland.
- Lin L, Wang YD, Al-Shemmeri T, Zeng S, Huang J, He Y, Huang X, Li S, Yang J. Characteristics of a diffusion absorption refrigerator driven by the waste heat from engine exhaust. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part E: Journal of Process Mechanical Engineering 2006, 220(3), 139-149.
- Wang YD, Zeng S, Huang J, He Y, Huang X, Lin L, Li S. Experimental investigation of applying Miller cycle to reduce NOx emission from diesel engine. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part A: Journal of Power and Energy 2005, 219(8), 631-638.
- Wang YD, Ruxton T. An Experimental Investigation of NOx Emission Reduction from Automotive Engine using the Miller Cycle. In: Fall Technical Conference of the ASME Internal Combustion Engine Division. 2004, Long Beach, California, USA: ASME.
- Al-Shemmeri T, Wang YD. A Computational model of Ammonia-water Absorption Refrigeration System. In: International Conference on Cryogenics & Refrigeration. 2003, Hangzhou, China.
- Wang YD, Al-Shemmeri T. A Theoretical and an Experimental Investigation of A Small Scale Trigeneration System: A comparison between trigeneration and separate generation systems. In: Proceedings of the Fall Technical Conference of ASME Internal Combustion Engine Division. 2003, Erie, Pennsylvania, USA: ASME.
- Al-Shemmeri T, Wang YD. Theoretical Investigation and Parametric Study of A Diffusion Absorption Refrigeration System. In: International Congress of Refrigeration. 2003, Washington DC, USA.
- Al-Shemmeri T, Wang YD. Engine Exhaust heat utilisation - A Diesel Generator-set based Trigeneration. In: International Conference Proceedings on Marine Science and Technology and Sustainability (ENSUS). 2002, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.