Dr Yiji Lu
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 4827
- Address: Sir Joseph Swan Centre for Energy Research
School of Engineering
2nd Floor, Stephenson Building
Newcastle upon Tyne
Academic Career Summary
Jan/2016- Research Associate, School of Engineering, Newcastle University, UK
Sep/2015-Dec/2015 Research Assistant, Sir Joseph Swan Centre for Energy Research, Newcastle University, UK
Oct/2012-Jan/2016 PhD, Energy, Sir Joseph Swan Centre for Energy Research, Newcastle University, UK
Sep/2011-Sep/2012 MPhil, Institute for research on Sustainability, Newcastle University, UK
Sep/2007-Jul/2011 BEng. School of Mechanical Engineering, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China
Yiji is a research associate at Newcastle University. He is responsible for carrying out modelling and analysis of dynamic systems and experimental research in the field of thermal energy systems. Yiji obtained his B. Eng at Shanghai Jiao Tong University(SJTU) in 2011 and his final thesis has been awarded as ‘distinction’, which is only about 5% students can achieve that grade. Yiji conducted MPhil in 2012 and obtained a very competitive EPSRC PhD studentship at Newcastle University. His PhD thesis focuses on the development of an innovative thermal energy system converting low grade heat into power and refrigeration. Yiji have been granted a prestigious Chinese Government Award from China Scholarship Council (CSC) in May 2016 by the Chinese Ambassador in UK. Since 2011, Yiji have successfully designed, constructed and tested four test benches (small scale Organic Rankine cycle rig for engine waste heat recovery, dynamic adsorption/desorption performance rig using low grade heat for upgraded heat and refrigeration, scroll expander/compressor performance rig, thermal conductivity rig)
Yiji have published about 30 articles in high quality journals and peer-reviewed conference articles. His research interests include but not limited to advanced waste heat recovery technologies, engine thermal management, chemisorption cycles and expansion machines for power generation system. He has been regularly invited to review the manuscripts for the scientific journals including Applied Energy, Applied Thermal Engineering, Energy (the international Journal), and Energy for Sustainable Development. In August 2017, Yiji have been invited as session chair at the 9th International Conference on Applied Energy.
Since 2015,Yiji have supervised four MSc students (two as main supervisor) for the final project and he is currently co-supervising a PhD student in the School of Engineering on the topic of heat driven cooling and power system. He regularly attended conferences, presented at seminars and organised events for the School. He has supported two Chinese students for the application of fully sponsored PhD studentship from CSC and both of them have been granted the studentship and currently conducting their PhD degree at NU. In September 2017-South Africa, he worked as committee member to coordinate the smoothly operating of the UK-Kenya-South Africa Trilateral workshop.
Awarded ‘The 2015 National Award for Outstanding Self-financed (non-government sponsored) Chinese Students Study Abroad’ by China Scholarship Council.
Apr/2016- Main researcher, Royal society (IE/151256), Scroll-type energy regeneration and waste heat recovery system for vehicles
Sep/2016-Mar/2017 Main researcher, EPSRC Prosperity Outcomes Award 2016, Feasibility study of carbon based Nano-materials to Enhance heat transfer and efficiency for chemisorption cooling and power Cogeneration system (NE-Cogen)
Mar/2015-Jan/2017 Main researcher, EPSRC (EP/K503885/1-IAA), Study of Engine Waste Heat Recovery technologies
Oct/2015-Dec/2015 Participant, Sponsored by Institution of Chemical Engineers through IChemE Awards 2015, Multifunctional concentrated solar adsorption for food preservation
Apr/2012-Mar/2013 Participant, EPSRC funded, Theme 3: Low grade heat driven cogeneration of power and cooling, Global Secure (EP/K004689/1)
Dec/2011-Feb/2014 Participant, EPSRC funded, LH Cogen: Low grade heat driven adsorption linear expander cycle for cogeneration of power and refrigeration (EP/I027904/1)
Mar/2011-Dec/2011 Participant, Marie Curie Fellowship project, A new type adsorption-resorption cycle for the combined power generation and refrigeration driven by low grade heat (Project No: 253106)
Sep/2012-Jul/2015 Teaching assistant, School of Mechanical & Systems Engineering, Newcastle University
Sep/2009-Jun/2011 Teaching assistant, School of Mechanical Engineering, Shanghai Jiao Tong University
Mar/2016- Co-supervisor for a PhD student, Title: Low-Grade Heat driven adsorption cooling and power system, Sir Joseph SWAN Centre for Energy Researcy, Newcastle University
Feb/2017-Aug/2017 Main supervisor for MSc final project, Title: Study of engine heat driven Organic Rankine cycle, School of Mechanical and systems engineering, Newcastle University
Jan/2016-Jun/2016 Main supervisor for MSc final project, Title: Design and optimization of a 15kW scroll expander-School of Mechanical and systems engineering, Newcastle University
Jan/2015-Jun/2015 Co-supervisor for MSc final project, Title: Solar Organic Rankine cycle using scroll expander-School of Mechanical and systems engineering, Newcastle University
Jan/2015-Jun/2015 Co-supervisor for MSc final project, Title: Modeling of scroll expander for Organic Rankine cycle using R245fa, Newcastle University
- Fang YD, Lu YJ, Yu XL, Roskilly AP. Experimental study of a pneumatic engine with heat supply to improve the overall performance. Applied Thermal Engineering 2018, 134, 78-85.
- Jiang L, Wang RZ, Lu YJ, Roskilly AP, Wang LW, Tang K. Investigation on innovative thermal conductive composite strontium chloride for ammonia sorption refrigeration. International Journal of Refrigeration 2018, 85, 157-166.
- Lu YJ, Roskilly AP, Ma C. A techno-economic case study using heat driven absorption refrigeration technology in UK industry. Energy Procedia 2017, 123, 173-179.
- Lu YJ, Roskilly AP, Jiang L, Chen LF, Yu XL. Analysis of a 1 kW organic Rankine cycle using a scroll expander for engine coolant and exhaust heat recovery. Frontiers in Energy 2017, 11(4), 527-534.
- Jiang L, Roskilly AP, Wang RZ, Wang LW, Lu YJ. Analysis on innovative modular sorption and resorption thermal cell for cold and heat cogeneration. Applied Energy 2017, 204, 767-779.
- Chen LF, Ding SR, Liu HY, Lu YJ, Li YF, Roskilly AP. Comparative study of combustion and emissions of kerosene (RP-3), kerosene-pentanol blends and diesel in a compression ignition engine. Applied Energy 2017, 203, 91-100.
- Li Z, Lu YJ, Huang YQ, Qian G, Chen FF, Yu XL, Roskilly AP. Comparison study of Trilateral Rankine Cycle, Organic Flash Cycle and basic Organic Rankine Cycle for low grade heat recovery. Energy Procedia 2017, 142, 1441-1447.
- Lu YJ, Roskilly AP, Zhang ZC, Yu XL, Zhi L, Jiang L. Conceptual study of scroll-type rotary gasoline Internal Combustion Engine. Energy Procedia 2017, 142, 1545-1551.
- Lu YJ, Roskilly AP, Smallbone A, Yu XL, Wang YD. Design and Parametric Study of an Organic Rankine Cycle using a Scroll Expander for Engine Waste Heat Recovery. Energy Procedia 2017, 105, 1420-1425.
- Tang K, Lu YJ, Jiang L, Roskilly AP, Yuan Y, Wang YD. Development and testing of novel Chemisorption Composite using SrCl2-NEG adding with Carbon coated Ni and Al. Energy Procedia 2017, 142, 4037-4043.
- Chen XQ, Lu YJ, Huang R, Sun Z, Yu XL, Roskilly AP. Effect of Fire-Deck Thickness on thermal status of cylinder head. Energy Procedia 2017, 142, 4022-4028.
- Dou WB, Li DF, Lu YJ, Yu XL, Roskilly AP. Evaluation of ideal double-tank hybrid pneumatic engine system under different compression cycle scenarios. Energy Procedia 2017, 142, 1388-1394.
- Shi HM, Lu YJ, Huang R, Yu XL, Lu GD, Liu ZT, Chen XQ, Qian G, Roskilly AP. Experiment study of multi-fans cooling module using different shroud structures for advanced vehicle thermal management system. Energy Procedia 2017, 142, 3968-3974.
- Zhang ZC, Lu YJ, Ren HL, Roskilly AP, Chen LF, Smallbone A, Wang YD. Experimental and Numerical Investigation on the Macroscopic Characteristics of Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil (HVO) Spray. Energy Procedia 2017, 142, 474-480.
- Wu QB, Lu YJ, Tang K, Wang YD, Roskilly AP, Zhang HY. Experimental Exploration of a Novel Chemisorption Composite of SrCl2-NEG Adding with Carbon Coated Ni. Energy Procedia 2017, 105, 4655-4660.
- Jiang L, Wang L, Wang R, Zhu F, Lu YJ, Roskilly AP. Experimental investigation on an innovative resorption system for energy storage and upgrade. Energy Conversion and Management 2017, 138, 651-658.
- Chen LF, Zhang ZC, Lu YJ, Zhang C, Zhang X, Zhang CQ, Roskilly AP. Experimental study of the gaseous and particulate matter emissions from a gas turbine combustor burning butyl butyrate and ethanol blends. Applied Energy 2017, 195, 693-701.
- Lu YJ, Roskilly AP, Tang K, Wang YD, Long J, Yuan Y, Wang LW. Investigation and performance study of a dual-source chemisorption power generation cycle using scroll expander. Applied Energy 2017, 204, 979-993.
- Long J, Lu YJ, Tang K, Roskilly AP, Wang Y, Yuan Y, Wang RZ, Wang LW. Investigation of a novel composite sorbent for improved sorption characteristic. Energy Procedia 2017, 142, 1455-1461.
- Zhang ZC, Lu YJ, Roskilly AP, Smallbone AJ, Chen LF, Wang YD. Investigation of the spray properties using sustainable fuels in a constant volume vessel. In: 4th Sustainable Thermal Energy Management International Conference. 2017, Netherlands.
- Jiang L, Lu H, Wang R, Wang L, Gong L, Lu Y, Roskilly AP. Investigation on an innovative cascading cycle for power and refrigeration cogeneration. Energy Conversion and Management 2017, 145, 20-29.
- Jiang L, Lu YJ, Tang K, Wang YD, Wang R, Roskilly AP, Wang L. Investigation on heat and mass transfer performance of novel composite strontium chloride for sorption reactors. Applied Thermal Engineering 2017, 121, 410-418.
- Jiang L, Wang R, Lu Y, Roskilly AP, Wang L, Tang K. Investigation on novel modular sorption thermal cell with improved energy charging and discharging performance. Energy Conversion and Management 2017, 148, 110-119.
- Long J, Jia G, Wang LW, Wang RZ, Lu YJ, Roskilly AP. Investigation on performance of multi-salt composite sorbents for multilevel sorption thermal energy storage. Applied Energy 2017, 190, 1029-1038.
- Jiang L, Lu YJ, Roskilly AP, Wang RZ, Wang LW. Modular sorption thermal cell for solar cooling and heating energy storage. In: 4th Sustainable Thermal Energy Management International Conference. 2017, Netherlands.
- Chen FF, Lu YJ, Chen XQ, Li Z, Yu XL, Roskilly AP. Numerical study of using different Organic Rankine cycle working fluids for engine coolant energy recovery. Energy Procedia 2017, 142, 1448-1454.
- Lu YJ, Roskilly AP, Yu XL, Tang K, Jiang L, Smallbone A, Chen LF, Wang YD. Parametric study for small scale engine coolant and exhaust heat recovery system using different Organic Rankine cycle layouts. Applied Thermal Engineering 2017, 127, 1252-1266.
- Chen L, Feng L, Liu Z, Li G, Li Y, Lu Y, Roskilly AP. Quantifying the effects of fuel compositions and process variables on planar surface area and spray nonuniformity via combined mixture-process design of experiment. Atomization and Sprays 2017, 27(8), 707-722.
- Qian G, Lu YJ, Huang YQ, Li Z, Yu XL, Roskilly AP. Simulation study of Ferricyanide/Ferrocyanide concentric annulus thermocell with different electrode spacing and cell direction. Energy Procedia 2017, 142, 374-380.
- Lu YJ, Roskilly AP, Wang YD, Wang LW. Study of a Novel Dual-source Chemisorption Power Generation System Using Scroll Expander. Energy Procedia 2017, 105, 921-926.
- Chen X, Yu X, Lu Y, Huang R, Liu Z, Huang Y, Roskilly AP. Study of different cooling structures on the thermal status of an Internal Combustion Engine. Applied Thermal Engineering 2017, 116, 419-432.
- Lu YJ, Jiang L, Roskilly AP, Li Z, Yu XL, Smallbone AJ. Study of engine waste heat recovery using Organic Rankine cycle integrated with latent heat storage system. In: 4th Sustainable Thermal Energy Management International Conference. 2017, Netherlands.
- Huang YQ, Mei P, Lu YJ, Huang R, Yu XL, Deng CS, Roskilly AP. Study of heating strategies for electrical vehicular battery pack to optimize the performance at freezing condition. In: 4th Sustainable Thermal Energy Management International Conference. 2017, Netherlands.
- Huang YQ, Lu YJ, Huang R, Chen JX, Chen FF, Liu ZT, Yu XL, Roskilly AP. Study on the thermal interaction and heat dissipation of cylindrical Lithium-Ion Battery cells. Energy Procedia 2017, 142, 4029-4036.
- Lu YJ, Roskilly AP, Jiang L, Yu XL. Working fluid selection for a small-scale organic Rankine cycle recovering engine waste heat. Energy Procedia 2017, 123, 346-352.
- Wu Q, Yu X, Zhang H, Tang K, Lu Y, Wang Y. Enhancement of thermal conductivity of adsorbents mixing with nanoparticles. In: International Workshop on Digital Design and Manufacturing Technologies. 2016, Northern Design Centre, Abbott's Hill, Gateshead, NE8 3DF.
- Wu Q, Yu X, Zhang H, Chen Y, Liu L, Xie X, Tang K, Lu Y, Wang Y, Roskilly AP. Fabrication and Thermal Conductivity Improvement of Novel Composite Adsorbents adding with Nanoparticles. Chinese Journal of Mechanical Engineering 2016, 29(6), 1114-1119.
- Lu Y, Wang Y, Bao H, Yuan Y, Wang L, Roskilly AP. Analysis of an optimal resorption cogeneration using mass and heat recovery processes. Applied Energy 2015, 160, 892–901.
- Lu YJ, Wang YD, Dong CX, Wang LW, Roskilly AP. Design and assessment on a novel integrated system for power and refrigeration using waste heat from diesel engine. Applied Thermal Engineering 2015, 91, 591-599.
- Lu YJ, Wang YD, Wang LW, Yuan Y, Liu Z, Roskilly AP. Experimental Investigation of a Scroll Expander for Power Generation Part of a Resorption Cogeneration. Energy Procedia 2015, 75, 1027-1032.
- Liu Z, Tian GH, Wei MS, Song PP, Lu YJ, Ashby G, Roskilly AP. Modelling and Optimisation on scroll expander for Waste Heat Recovery Organic Rankine Cycle. Energy Procedia 2015, 75, 1603-1608.
- Lu YJ, Roskilly AP, Smallbone AJ. Recovering coolant and exhaust energy from a diesel engine using an Organic Rankine cycle (ORC). In: The 3rd Sustainable Thermal Energy Management Conference (SusTEM 2015) . 2015, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: Newcastle University.
- Yan Y, Lu YJ, Bao HS, Wang YD, Wang W, Roskilly AP. Investigation of a Heat Pipe Heat Exchanger Integrated with a Water Spray for the Heat Recovery from Boil Exhaust Gas. Energy Procedia 2014, 61, 2141-2144.
- Lu YJ, Bao HS, Yan Y, Wang YD, Wang LW, Roskilly AP. Optimisation of a Novel Resorption Cogeneration Using Mass and Heat Recovery. Energy Procedia 2014, 61, 1103-1106.
- Lu YJ*, Wang LW, Tian GH, Roskilly AP. Study on A Small Scale Solar Powered Organic Rankine Cycle Utilizing Scroll Expander. In: International Conference on Applied Energy. 2012, Suzhou, China.
- Lu YJ, JU YL, Hao XH. Experimental study of the tooth form on the performance of the labyrinth sealing displacer for the G-M refrigerator. In: Shanghai Society of Refrigeration. 2011, Shanghai.
- Hao XH, Ju YL*, Lu YJ. Experimental study on the performance of the labyrinth sealing displacer for 10 K G-M refrigerator. Cryogenics 2011, 51(4).
- Hao XH, Ju YL*, Lu YJ. Experimental study on the sealing clearance between the labyrinth sealing displacer and cylinder in the 10 K G-M refrigerator. Cryogenics 2011, 51(5), 203-208.