Dr Yilin Gui
Lecturer in Geotechnical Engineering
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 2088938
- Address: School of Engineering,
Room 2.05, Drummond Building,
Newcastle upon Tyne,
NE1 7RU, UK
Dr Yilin Gui joined the Geotechnical and Structure group (GEST) in the School of Engineering (formerly known as School of Civil Engineering and Geosciences) in 2017. His research interests are focused on rock and soil mechanics, computational and constitutive modelling of geomaterials and Geoenvironmental Engineering.
Dr Gui accepts PhD candidates who wish to conduct research in Geotechnical Engineering at Newcastle University. An EPSRC PhD studentship in Engineering is available and all eligible candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. More details about the studentship can be found through the link. http://www.ncl.ac.uk/postgraduate/funding/sources/ukeustudents/eng017.html
March 2015 to March 2017, Research Fellow in Nanyang Technological University
July 2013 to December 2014, Research Fellow in Monash University.
Member of Singapore Society for Rock Mechanics and Engineering Geology
Member of International Society for Rock Mechanics
Member of The Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy
Member of International Association for Engineering Geology and the Environment
Awards and Honours
Scientific Editor of Journal of Rock Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering
Member of EPSRC Peer Review Associate College
Scientific Committee member of 10th Asian Rock Mechanics Symposium
Winner of Singapore Society for Rock Mechanics and Engineering Geology (SRMEG) Outstanding Paper Award, March, 2016.
Invited speech at China State Key Laboratory of Deep Geomechanics and Underground Engineering, Xuzhou, China, May, 2016
Keynote speech at 7th Victoria Chinese PhD and Young Scholars Research Symposium at Deakin University, Melbourne, Australia, November, 2013
Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering (SPRINGER)
Engineering Structures (ELSEVIER)
Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology (ELSEVIER)
International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences (ELSEVIER)
Journal of Rock Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (ELSEVIER)
Geomechanics and Engineering (TECHNO PRESS)
Dr Gui accepts PhD candidates who wish to conduct research in Geotechnical Engineering at Newcastle University.
2017/2018 academic year
CEG1201 Geotechnical Properties of Soils and Rocks (Lecturer)
CEG2201 Geotechnics (Module leader)
CEG8099 Investigative Research Project (project supervisor)
CEG8296 MSc Project and Dissertation in Geotechnical Engineering and Engineering Geology (project supervisor)
- Gui YL, Zhao ZY, Jayasinghe LB, Zhou HY, Goh ATC, Tao M. Blast wave induced spatial variation of ground vibration considering field geological conditions. International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences 2018, 101, 63-68.
- Gui YL, Zhao ZY, Zhou HY, Goh ATC, Jayasinghe LB. Numerical Simulation of Rock Blasting Induced Free Field Vibration. Procedia Engineering 2017, 191, 451-457.
- Zhang C, Ji J, Kodikara J, Gui YL. Evaluation of the performance of a breakage model for high porosity Haubourdin chalk. Computers and Geotechnics 2017, 90, 113-119.
- Gui YL, Hu W, Zhao ZY, Zhu X. Numerical modelling of a field soil desiccation test using a cohesive fracture model with Voronoi tessellations. Acta Geotechnica 2017, 1-16.
- Gui YL, Zhao ZY, Zhang C, Ma SQ. Numerical investigation of the opening effect on the mechanical behaviours in rocks under uniaxial loading using hybrid continuum-discrete element method. Computers and Geotechnics 2017, 90, 55-72.
- Ji J, Zhang CS, Gui YL, Lü Q, Kodikara J. New Observations on the Application of LS-SVM in Slope System Reliability Analysis. Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering 2017, 31(2).
- Jayasinghe LB, Zhou HY, Goh ATC, Zhao ZY, Gui YL. Pile response subjected to rock blasting induced ground vibration near soil-rock interface. Computers and Geotechnics 2017, 82, 1-15.
- Ma SQ, Zhao ZY, Nie W, Gui YL. A numerical model of fully grouted bolts considering the tri-linear shear bond–slip model. Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology 2016, 54, 73-80.
- Zhang CS, Ji J, Gui YL, Kodikara J, Yang SQ, He L. Evaluation of soil-concrete interface shear strength based on LS-SVM. Geomechanics and Engineering 2016, 11(3), 361-372.
- Gui YL, Bui HH, Kodikara J, Zhang QB, Zhao J, Rabczuk T. Modelling the dynamic failure of brittle rocks using a hybrid continuum-discrete element method with a mixed-mode cohesive fracture model. International Journal of Impact Engineering 2016, 87, 146-155.
- Gui YL, Zhao ZY. Numerical investigation on the effect of fracture filling material on P-wave propagation. In: Rock Dynamics: From Research to Engineering: Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Rock Dynamics and Applications. 2016, Suzhou, China: CRC Press.
- Gui YL, Zhao ZY, Kodikara J, Bui HH, Yang SQ. Numerical modelling of laboratory soil desiccation cracking using UDEC with a mix-mode cohesive fracture model. Engineering Geology 2016, 202, 14-23.
- Gui YL, Zhao ZY, Zhou HY, Wu W. Numerical Simulation of P-Wave Propagation in Rock Mass with Granular Material-Filled Fractures Using Hybrid Continuum-Discrete Element Method. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering 2016, 49(10), 4049–4060.
- Yang SQ, Ju Y, Gao F, Gui YL. Strength, Deformability and X-ray Micro-CT Observations of Deeply Buried Marble Under Different Confining Pressures. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering 2016, 49(11), 4227–4244.
- Gui YL, Zhao ZY, Ji J, Wang XM, Zhou KP, Ma SQ. The grain effect of intact rock modelling using discrete element method with Voronoi grains. Géotechnique Letters 2016, 6(2), 136-143.
- Gui Y, Bui HH, Kodikara J. An application of a cohesive fracture model combining compression, tension and shear in soft rocks. Computers and Geotechnics 2015, 66, 142-157.
- Yang SQ, Ranjith PG, Huang YH, Yin PF, Jing HW, Gui YL, Yu QL. Experimental investigation on mechanical damage characteristics of sandstone under triaxial cyclic loading. Geophysical Journal International 2015, 201(2), 662-682.
- Yang SQ, Ranjith PG, Gui YL. Experimental study of mechanical behavior and X-ray micro CT observation of sandstone under conventional triaxial compression. Geotechnical Testing Journal 2015, 38(2), 179-197.
- Gui Y, Zhao GF. Modelling of laboratory soil desiccation cracking using DLSM with a two-phase bond model. Computers and Geotechnics 2015, 69, 578-587.
- Gui YL, Bui HH, Kodikara J. Numerical modelling of sandstone uniaxial compression test using a mix-mode cohesive fracture model. In: 8th Australasian Congress on Applied Mechanics, ACAM 2014, as Part of Engineers Australia Convention 2014. 2015, Melbourne, Australia.
- Gui Y, Zhao G, Khalili N. Numerical investigation of desiccation cracking in fine-grained soil using a lattice spring model. In: Unsaturated Soils: Research & Applications. 2014.
- Gui Y, Zhao G, Khalili N. Experimental and numerical modelling of sandstone bending using modified three-point test. In: Rock Dynamics and Application: State of Art. 2013.
- Gui YL, Zhao GF, Khalili N. Experimental investigation of desiccation of clayey soils. In: From Materials to Structures: Advancement through Innovation. 2012.
- Shang J, Duan K, Gui Y, Handley K, Zhao Z. Numerical investigation of the direct tensile behaviour of laminated and transversely isotropic rocks containing incipient bedding planes with different strengths. Computers and Geotechnics 2017, Epub ahead of print.