Environmental Management Systems
Newcastle University has implemented an Environmental Management System (EMS) that is certified by ISO14001 and awarded Ecocampus Platinum.
The EMS provides a framework by which the University monitors and attempts to reduce its environmental impacts. The certification by ISO14001 requires that we set periodic objectives, reflecting our commitment to continual improvement in environmental performance. Every objective has associated targets that help us to monitor the University’s progress towards fully integrating sustainability in its day to day operations and services.
Amongst the University’s objectives, shown in the Environmental Policy, are:
- Reduce our energy consumption and associated carbon emissions
- Minimise our use of water
- Implement a waste minimisation strategy and maintain a high recycling rate
- Promote and support sustainable travel options for commuting and business travel
- Put procedures in place to implement sustainable construction and green procurement
- Preserve and enhance the biodiversity of the estate
- Empower and motivate staff, students and stakeholders through appropriate environmental education and communication