- Save Energy - Making new goods out of recycled material saves energy. For example, making new aluminium cans from recycled cans uses 20 times less energy than making cans from the raw material.
- Protect the environment - Landfills are associated with local pollution and climate change and recycling reduces the need to landfill.
- Reducing what we use and recycling materials reduces the need to dig up or mine new raw materials, which often damages the surrounding environment.
- Save resources - Many of the materials we throw in landfills have a value and can be used again for something useful. Most of what we throw away is made from materials that are slowly running out or cannot be replaced quickly enough because of the amount we consume.
- Help charities - Many charities and community groups raise money through reusing and recycling.
- Create jobs - Employment can be provided by businesses involving renovation, repair and recycling. Buying recycled goods is vital to provide the market to encourage and promote recycling.