Recycling Frequently Asked Questions
General recycling queries
- What can I recycle?
- Why recycle?
- Where does our recycling go?
- Does any of our waste go abroad?
- Why does some ‘waste’ goes abroad?
- I am a University employee working in an NHS managed area. Why can’t you recycle my waste?
- Why can’t we recycle crisp packets?
New recycling scheme queries
- What is the new recycling scheme about?
- What can I put in the food/cans/plastic/glass drawers?
- I have been given a post it note/tape across my office bin - why?
- What about plastic bottles with lids and labels?
- I have something that isn't on the recycling list what should I do?
- Do I have to rinse and squash bottles and cans?
- Can I recycle aluminium foil?
- What happens to the different types of plastic we recycle?
General domestic waste queries
- Looks like we are recycling everything! What can I put in my general waste bin?
- How often are general waste and recycling containers emptied?
- Where does our general waste go?
- What can go in the paper recycling containers?
- Can I put shredded paper in the paper recycling bins?
- Can I put envelopes with plastic windows and glued flaps in the paper recycling bin?
- What about recycling tissues/hand towels and paper with food on?
- What do you mean by cardboard?
- How do I order extra paper recycling containers?
- How do I order extra recycling bins?
Office Clear Outs
Recycling issues in the news
- I read a newspaper article that recycling is sent to landfill. How do I know our recycling doesn't go to landfill?
- Is it more environmentally friendly to burn paper than recycle it?
- Press reports suggest we are creating waste mountains. Are we contributing to this at the University?
Recycling at home
- My council can’t recycle the things that we do at University, why is that?
- Can I bring waste from home to the University?