This means that the majority of student halls of residence are only a 10-minute walk from the Daysh, together with a range of the University’s sporting and cultural facilities.
The Daysh building houses three lecture theatres, an array of seminar rooms and a number of state-of- the-art laboratories.
In addition, the Daysh is home to one of the largest PC clusters on campus, ensuring geography students have ready access to networked PCs in their departmental building.
The building takes its name from Professor Henry Daysh, appointed in 1930, who went on become the influential head of the department up until his retirement in 1966.
Under Henry Daysh's influence, the department of Geography at Newcastle became noted for its interest in ‘research with a purpose’, an approach pursued to this day by subsequent heads of department.