We offer you excellent supervision for PhD & MPhil degrees in a vibrant & supportive environment
Our open and friendly research culture attracts people from a wide variety of backgrounds, ensuring that you are part of an international community of scholars.
We provide high-quality facilities for all of our postgraduate research students, including:
- a University laptop with Microsoft Office software
- your own desk space
- funding to help support your fieldwork and present your work at academic conferences
- a dedicated postgraduate common room
Prospective students are encouraged to contact a potential supervisor in advance of applying. If you would like further advice, please contact the Director of Politics PhD programmes, Dr Kyle Grayson.
As a new student, you will have two academic supervisors who will help you to develop and refine your research project. You will also have the opportunity to improve your research skills on our Postgraduate Research Training and Researcher Development Programme.
You can find more details of staff research interests to help you decide what subjects or supervisors you may want to work on/with.
We have a student-run, Politics Postgraduate Society, which organises academic and social events.
The society runs:
- professional development seminars (led by academic staff)
- internal seminars (given by postgraduates)
- round table discussions (with staff and visitors)
- 'New Voices' seminar series (for exciting young external speakers)
- a weekly film night (during term)
Postgraduates also attend politics and political philosophy research seminars.
As part of the School of Geography, Politics and Sociology, we are also able to provide multi-disciplinary supervisory teams and an inter-disciplinary research environment for students working on topics that cross disciplinary boundaries.
Download our Politics Postgraduate Research brochure (PDF: 1.9MB)
For any general information about postgraduate research please contact the Postgraduate Research Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org