Research Centres & Institutes
The School is home to two of the longest established Centres at the university and its open and interdisciplinary orientation means it also has close links with key university Research Institutes:
- Centre for Urban and Regional Development Studies (CURDS) - a multi-disciplinary research centre with an international reputation for our work on the economic and social development of cities and regions.
- Policy, Ethics and Life Sciences (PEALS) - an internationally recognised research centre focused on the social and ethical debates around the contemporary life sciences. It works with a wide range of academic and community-based partners, to develop rigorous and socially engaged analysis, innovative teaching, and public dialogue that informs and contributes to future practices and policies.
- Institute of Health and Society (IHS) - conducting internationally recognised research on population health, health services and health-related social science.
- Newcastle Institute for Research on Sustainability - drawing together Social Scientists and Geographers with other expertise around the University to research and develop solutions to some of the most pressing environmental issues.
- Newcastle Institute for Social Renewal - NISR focuses on how societies and communities at scales from the local and regional to the national and international, can thrive when faced with the challenges of rapid transformational change.