Our undergraduate sociology degrees examine the social forces that shape everyday lives.
We offer two taught courses and supervision for research degrees in an innovative research environment.
Sociology at Newcastle is a unit known for the high quality of our teaching and research. We were ranked 13th in the UK in the Research Excellence Framework 2014. 72% of our research activity is graded as being of international significance (4*/3*).
One of our strengths is the positive relationship we build with our students. This is made possible by our size. Student satisfaction regularly scores 90% or higher in the National Student Survey.
- Adel Pasztor wins Newcastle Student Union Society Teaching Excellence Award
- Would an independent Scotland stand a chance of getting European Union membership?
- Dr Nick Megoran, students and a financial expert discuss ethical university investments.
- Young Muslims want to participate in politics
- Young non-Muslims face Islamophobia too