Our undergraduate sociology degrees examine the social forces that shape everyday lives.
We offer two taught courses and supervision for research degrees in an innovative research environment.
Sociology at Newcastle is a unit known for the high quality of our teaching and research. We were ranked 13th in the UK in the Research Excellence Framework 2014. 72% of our research activity is graded as being of international significance (4*/3*).
One of our strengths is the positive relationship we build with our students. This is made possible by our size. Student satisfaction regularly scores 90% or higher in the National Student Survey.
- Merit Or Meritocracy Conference? Call for Papers
- Lisa Garforth’s new book on green hopes for a better future with nature out this week
- Newcastle sociologists explore how social class shapes university entrance, engagement and experience.
- Diane Richardson's new book "Sexuality and Citizenship" published.
- Professor Jackie Leach Scully now a Fellow of the Academy of Social Sciences
Sociology Seminar Series Semester 1
Date/Time: 29/11/17, 13:00-14:30