Our undergraduate sociology degrees examine the social forces that shape everyday lives.
We offer two taught courses and supervision for research degrees in an innovative research environment.
Sociology at Newcastle is a unit known for the high quality of our teaching and research. We were ranked 13th in the UK in the Research Excellence Framework 2014. 72% of our research activity is graded as being of international significance (4*/3*).
One of our strengths is the positive relationship we build with our students. This is made possible by our size. Student satisfaction regularly scores 90% or higher in the National Student Survey.
- Researchers join prestigious Sociology Project
- The relationship between upward and downward social mobility
- Newcastle University staff recognised in Queen’s Birthday Honours
- Adel Pasztor wins Newcastle Student Union Society Teaching Excellence Award
- Would an independent Scotland stand a chance of getting European Union membership?