Dr Peter Selman
Visiting Fellow, School of Geography, Politics & Sociology.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 284 3488
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 5421
- Personal Website: https://blogs.ncl.ac.uk/peterselman/
- Address: Sociology Room 5.44
Claremont Bridge Level 5
Newcastle upon Tyne
I first came to Newcastle University in 1968 and was Head of Department of Social Policy 1994-1999.I took early retirement in 2002 and have held a Visiting Fellowship since then. My early research concentrated on human fertility behaviour and more recently I have focused my interests on the issue of teenage pregnancy, carrying out two studies of the education of young mothers for DfES.
Today my main area of research is international adoption on which I have published widely. From 1995 to 2013 I was Chair of NICA (Network for Intercountry Adoption) and from 1999 to 2013 a member of the Board of Trustees and the Research Group Advisory Committee of BAAF ( British Association for Adoption and Fostering).
After my degree at Oxford University I worked for three years as a child care officer, specialising in adoption, in Oxfordshire Children's Department and have continued to be involved with domestic adoption, currently serving as an independent member on Newcastle's Adoption Panel
Much of my work focuses on intercountry adoption statistics and up to date information on this topic can be found at the web-site listed above or by writing to me as email@example.com
PhD. University of Newcastle, 1977
Diploma in Public & Social Administration, Oxford University, 1965
BA Literae Humaniores, Oxford University, 1964
Intercountry Adoption ;the demography of adoption; teenage pregnancy and motherhood;
Comparative social policy; Demographic change and public policy
Trends in international adoption 1998-2013
Comparison of adoption policy in the USA and the UK.
Intercountry Adoption from African countries.
Lessons from International Adoption for Cross-border Surrogacy.
For many years I taught undergraduate courses in Social Policy and Population Studies and for five years after retirement I continued to teach a 3rd year honours module, Adoption: a Worldwide Perspective.
- Haworth G, Selman P, Way J. Infertility and Inter-country Adoption. In: Marilyn Crawshaw and Rachel Burns, ed. Adopting after Infertility. London and Philadelphia: Jessica Kingsley, 2010, pp.134-150.
- Selman PF. Trends in intercountry adoption: Analysis of data from 20 receiving countries, 1998-2004. Journal of Population Research 2006, 23(2), 183-204.
- Selman PF. Intercountry adoption in the new millennium: the “quiet migration” revisited. Population Research and Policy Review 2002, 21(3), 205-225.
- Selman PF. Scapegoating and moral panics: teenage pregnancy in Britain and the United States. In: Sarah Cunningham-Burley and Lynn Jamieson, ed. Families and the state: changing relationships. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2003, pp.159-186.
- Selman PF. Adoption: a cure for (too) many ills?. In: Bowie, Fiona, ed. Cross-cultural approaches to adoption. London: Routledge, 2004, pp.257-273.
- Hosie ACS, Selman PF. Teenage pregnancy and social exclusion: an exploration of disengagement and re-engagement from the education system. In: Holgate, Helen S.; Evans, Roy; Yuen, Francis K.O, ed. Teenage pregnancy and parenthood: global perspectives, issues and interventions. Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge, 2006, pp.77-94.
- Selman PF. Area-based initiatives in the UK under New Labour: policy-making, implementation and evaluation. Korean Comparative Government Review 2003, 7(2), 1-28.
- Selman PF. Teenage pregnancy, poverty and the welfare debate in Europe and the United States. In: Poverty, Fertility and Family Planning. 1998, Mexico City: CICRED.
- Selman PF, Richardson D, Hosie ACS, Speak S. Monitoring of the DfES Standards Fund Teenage Pregnancy Grant. Newcastle upon Tyne: Department of Sociology & Social Policy, Newcastle University, 2001.
- Selman PF. Intercountry adoption: developments, trends and perspectives. London: BAAF, 2000.
- Selman PF, Mason K. Sibling relationships in families adopting a child with Downs Syndrome. In: Mullender, A, ed. We are a family: sibling relationships in placement and beyond. London: BAAF Publications, 1999, pp.239-251.
- Selman PF, Mason K, Hughes M. Permanency planning for children with Down's Syndrome: the adolescent years. Adoption and Fostering 1999, 23(1), 31-39.
- Selman P. Intercountry Adoption as Globalised Motherhood. In: Chavkin, W., Maher, J.M, ed. The Global Politics of Motherhood. London: Routledge, 2010, pp.79-105.
- Selman P. Intercountry adoption in Europe 1998-2008: patterns, trends and issues. Adoption & Fostering 2010, 34(1), 4-19.
- Selman PF. From Bucharest to Beijing: changes in countries sending children for international adoption 1990 to 2006. In: Wrobel G; Neil E, ed. International Advances in Adoption Research for Practice. London: John Wiley, 2009, pp.41-69.
- Selman PF. Intercountry Adoption in Europe 1998 – 2007: patterns, trends and issues. In: Rummery K; Greener I; Holden C, ed. Social Policy Review 21: Analysis and Debate in Social Policy. Bristol: Policy Press, 2009, pp.133-165.
- Selman PF. Intercountry Adoption; Research, Policy and Practice. In: Schofield G; Simmonds J, ed. The Child Placement Handbook: research, policy and practice. London: British Agencies for Adoption and Fostering (BAAF), 2009, pp.276-303.
- Selman PF. The rise and fall of intercountry adoption in the 21st century. International Social Work 2009, 52(5), 575-594.
- Selman PF. Intercountry adoption in the twenty-first century: an examination of the rise and fall of countries of origin. In: First International Korean Adoption Studies Research Symposium. 2007, Seoul, Korea: International Korean Adoptee Associations (IKAA).
- Selman PF, Mason KA. Alternatives to adoption for looked after children: report to Adoption Law Review Group of Scottish Executive. Edinburgh: Scottish Executive, 2005. Adoption: better choices for our children.
- Dawson N, Hosie ACS, Meadows S, Selman PF, Speak S. The Education of Pregnant Young Women and Young Mothers in England. Bristol: University of Bristol, 2005.
- Selman PF. Intercountry adoption in Europe after the Hague Convention. In: Sykes, R.; Alcock, P, ed. Developments in European social policy: convergence or diversity?. Bristol: The Policy Press, 1998, pp.147-169.
- Selman P. Global trends in Intercountry Adoption 2000-2010. New York: National Council for Adoption, 2012. Available at: http://www.adoptioncouncil.org/files/large/de7a7d3d515d5b8.
- Selman P. The global decline of intercountry adoption: What lies ahead?. Social Policy and Society 2012, 11(3), 381-397.
- Selman P. The Rise and Fall of Intercountry Adoption in the 21st century. In: Gibbons, J.L., Rotabi, K.S, ed. Intercountry Adoption: Policies, Practices and Outcomes. London: Ashgate Press, 2012, pp.7-28.
- Selman P. Intercountry Adoption after the Haiti Earthquake: Rescue or Robbery?. Adoption & Fostering 2011, 35(4), 41-49.