APL Research Director
PhD: The Politics of Paradigmatic Policy Change and the Greening of UK Transport Planning, Department of Geography, University of Newcastle upon Tyne.
Postgraduate Diploma, City and Regional Planning. University of Wales College of Cardiff.
BSc(Hons) Town Planning Studies, University of Wales College of Cardiff
My research focuses on the following overlapping elements:
- the politics of mobility, infrastructure supply and demand, and their translation into transport policy. I am particularly interested in how environmental and social discourses compete for attention in policy debates. This work is currently primarily focused at neighbourhood scales and on social justice concerns.
- plan-making in theory and practice. My focus here is particularly on institutional design questions in making spatial strategies. Recent work has been oriented toward evaluating [combinations of] online and offline fora for debating place futures using deliberative, collaborative and participatory planning theory; and on citizen-led neighbourhood plan-making.
- I have a long standing interest in media representations of planning and transport issues which is somewhat dormant at present.
1. Using ESRC Impact Accelerator funding to look at co-design in neighbourhood place-making [with Daniel Mallo, Rorie Parsons and Armelle Tardiveau [APL] and others including Sustrans].
2. Exploring the procedural and substantive justice concerns inherent in neighbourhood planning, funded by the Catherine Cookson Trust [with Zan Gunn].
3. Developing work on sustainability and stakeholder engagement in the governance of edge city office parks [with Daniel Mallo and Armelle Tardiveau and Highbridge Developments].
4. Co-directing the Planning and Local Democracy theme for Digital Civics, an EPSRC Digital Economy Research Centre [with Open Lab at Newcastle University and Mark Tewdwr Jones and Sebastian Weise from APL]
Research Director for APL
Geoff welcomes applications for post-graduate study that mesh with his research interests. To date he has supervised 12 PhD candidates to completion, and currently supervises 6 others:
I have examined 13 PhDs at universities in the UK and overseas.
TCP2023 Understanding Sustainable Development
TCP3049 Spatial Strategy-Making
TCP7021 Spatial Strategies
TCP8901/2 The Reflexive Practitioner
TCP8910 Sustainable Communities