Dr Loes Veldpaus
- Email: email@example.com
- Personal Website: https://historicurbanlandscapes.wordpress.com
- Address: School of Architecture Planning and Landscape
Claremont Tower, 4th floor
Newcastle upon Tyne
BackgroundI am educated an architect (MSc. 2007) and specializing in heritage management and urban governance (PhD. 2015). My research focuses on the past, present, and future of conservation planning, and I work on innovating understandings of the process of heritage production; of what heritage is and what heritage does. Within this context I aim to develop both empirical and methodological work, and collaborative and reflective research practices. I am currently researcher on a large EU-funded projects on urban governance and heritage management. PICH, an EU-funded JPI project that looks at the impact of urban planning and governance reform on the historic built environment and intangible heritage.
In addition, I teach in Conservation and Planning modules, and am the Early Career Network Chair.
In my research I look at the following areas:
1) past, present, and future management of the historic environment, especially in the context of ‘Historic Urban Landscapes’. Following my PhD work, I am exploring the application of this new concept with heritage managers and policy makers in local authorities;
2) innovating understandings of the process of heritage production, of what heritage is and what heritage does, defining heritage as a practice of using the past for contemporary purposes and as a future-making practice. In the context of this theme I am developing a project on citizen science for heritage. I am working on a project on Brexit and heritage;
3) society and smart urbanisms, consisting of empirical work on policies, participatory practices, and citizen experiences in the Netherlands in relation to claims on concepts as ‘quadruple helix’, ‘smart city’ and ‘living labs’ together with Sukanya Krishnamurthy;
4) across these areas I work on empirical and methodological development, collaborative and reflective research practices, and I like to experiment with the use of digital technologies.
my teaching includes
TCP8024 : Consultancy Project (group tutor)
In 2014, I obtained my Dutch University Teaching Qualification (VSNU, TU/e).
- Pendlebury J, Veldpaus L. Heritage and Brexit. Planning Theory & Practice 2018, epub ahead of print.
- Krishnamurthy S, Veldpaus L. Aligning experimentation and place-based dynamics: a case of Eindhoven. Urban Research & Practice 2017. Submitted.
- Veldpaus L, Pendlebury J. Brexit & Heritage: report ESRC IAA funded workshop. Newcastle upon Tyne: Global Urban Research Unit, Newcastle University, 2017.
- Law A, Veldpaus L. Colonial nostalgia, growth coalitions and urban planning in China. Urbanistica Informazioni 2017, 272(Special issue, part 4), 400-408.
- Veldpaus L, Pendlebury J. Heritage as a Vehicle for Change: the case of Bigg Market, Newcastle upon Tyne. Planning Practice and Research 2017, 32. Submitted.
- Veldpaus L, Pereira Roders A. Historic urban landscape approach as a tool for sustainable urban heritage management. In: Asikainen S; Brites C; Plebańczyk K; Rogač Mijatović L; Soini K, ed. Culture in sustainability: towards a transdisciplinary approach. Helsinki: University of Jyväskylä, 2017, pp.61-73.
- Veldpaus L. Integrating policy: the HUL approach in Amsterdam. In: Pereira Roders, A.; Bandarin, F, ed. Historic Urban Landscape: Five Years, Twenty-five cities, Hundred lessons. Springer, 2017. Submitted.
- Veldpaus L. Amsterdam: Heritage policy analysis tool for the HUL approach. In: The HUL Guidebook: Managing heritage in dynamic and constantly changing urban environments. Ballarat, Shanghai: WHITRAP, City of Ballarat, Tongji University, Federation University Australia, 2016, pp.50-55.
- Sobhani Sanjbod H, Hermans LMC, Reijnders DAH, Veldpaus L. Captain, where can we find the attributes?. The Historic Environment: Policy & Practice 2016, 7(2-3), 177-188.
- Veldpaus L. Heritage management and sustainable development in perspective: theory, law, and practice. Journal of Cultural Heritage Management and Sustainable Development 2015, 5(3).
- Veldpaus L. Historic urban landscapes : framing the integration of urban and heritage planning in multilevel governance. Eindhoven: Technische Universiteit Eindhoven, 2015.
- Veldpaus L. Reconnecting the city: the historic urban landscape approach and the future of urban heritage [Book review]. Cultural Trends 2015, 24(4), 340-342.
- Veldpaus L, Pereira Roders A. Learning from a Legacy: Venice to Valletta. Change Over Time 2014, 4(2), 244-263.
- Veldpaus L, Pereira Roders A, Colenbrander BJF. Urban Heritage: Putting the Past into the Future. The Historic Environment: Policy & Practice 2013, 4(1), 3-18.