- Project Leader: Mark Jackson and J.N. Postgate (Cambridge)
- Sponsors: British Academy (Large Grant), National Geographic (2007), Dumbarton Oaks, Washington DC (2009, 2011)
The Kilise Tepe Byzantine Project is directed by Mark Jackson (as co-investigator) under the umbrella of the multi-period Kilise Tepe Archaeological Excavation Project (directed by Prof. J.N. Postgate).
Kilise Tepe is a mound located in the Göksu Valley in southern Turkey which was excavated as part of a rescue project (1994-1998) and is now the focus of this new research excavation.
The site provides us with the opportunity to study an entire Byzantine rural settlement during the neglected period of profound change from late Antiquity to the 13th century AD.
In the new campaign of excavations, which began in 2007, we aim to provide new evidence and interpretation for the social dynamics of Byzantine rural life by focusing on well-preserved Byzantine vernacular buildings and their surrounding features.
We are employing both geophysical survey techniques and excavation to study the architectural character of the site within its topographical setting. The project is focussing on the retrieval of faunal remains and palaeobotanical samples as well as refining the local ceramic sequence.
We seek ultimately to address questions about local Byzantine rural life and to contribute to broader questions of continuity and transition in south-central Anatolia during the Byzantine period.
- Jackson M. “Byzantine Settlement at Kilise Tepe in the Göksu Valley”. In: Hoff, M., Townsend, R, ed. Rough Cilicia: New Archaeological and Historical Approaches. Oxford: Oxbow Books, 2013, pp.219-232.
- Jackson M. “Medieval Rural Settlement at Kilise Tepe in the Göksu Valley”. In: Vorderstrasse, T., Roodenberg, J.J, ed. Archaeology of the Countryside in Medieval Anatolia. Leiden, Netherlands: Netherlands Institute for the Near East, 2009, pp.71-83.
- Jackson MPC. “Local Painted Pottery Trade in early Byzantine Isauria”. In: Mango, M.M, ed. Byzantine Trade, 4th-12th Centuries: The Archaeology of Local, Regional and International Exchange. Farnham, Surrey: Ashgate, 2009, pp.137-144.
- Jackson M.P.C., Postgate, J.N. and ?erifo?lu T.E. 2013 “Kilise Tepe 2011 Yili Kaz?lar?” Kaz? Sonuçlar? Toplant?s? 34(2), 5-24.
- Jackson M, Postgate N. “Excavations at Kilise Tepe 2009”. Kaz? Sonuçlar? Toplant?s? 2010, 32(3), 424-446.
- Collon D, Jackson M, Postgate N. “Excavations at Kilise Tepe 2008”. Kaz? Sonuçlar? Toplant?s? 2009, 31(1), 159-184.
- Jackson M, Postgate N. “Excavations at Kilise Tepe 2007”. Kaz? Sonuçlar? Toplant?s? 2009, 30(3), 207-232.
- Jackson M. “Byzantine Ceramics From The Excavations at Kilise Tepe 2007 And Recent Research On Pottery From Alahan”. Ara?t?rma Sonuçlar? Toplant?s? 2008, 26(2), 159-174.
- J.N. Postgate; and D.C. Thomas, (eds.) (2007) Excavations at Kilise Tepe, 1994-98: From Bronze Age to Byzantine in Western Cilicia. London / Ankara: MacDonald Institute for Archaeological Research / British Institute of Archaeology at Ankara.