Dr Oscar Aldred
- Email: email@example.com
- Address: Cambridge Archaeological Unit
Department of Archaeology & Anthropology
University of Cambridge
Cambridge CB2 3DZ
My research interests are related to landscape archaeology, aerial archaeology and archaeological theory. I am interested primarily in British and North Atlantic landscapes, irrespective of period, although I have a specialism in medieval and later landscapes, including the contemporary. I am an expert in characterisation (method and theory), GIS, mapwork, excavation and survey (aerial, field and technical).
I am currently working for the Cambridge Archaeological Unit on landscape, excavation and post-excavation projects, Before this I was the Aerial and Remote Sensing Mapping Manager at Historic Environment Scotland (HES). Previous to this I was a Research Associate in the McCord Centre for Landscape.
Some of my recent research projects are:
- The designed landscape of Rothley Lake, Wallington (Newcastle University & National Trust)
- Searching for inspiration: Lancelot 'Capability' Brown’s ‘landscape’ and its role in his design practice (Newcastle University & National Trust)
- Tyne & Wear Historic Landscape Characterisation (HLC) (Newcastle University, English Heritage & Newcastle City Council)
- North Sea (East Yorks - Norfolk) Historic Seascape Characterisation (Newcastle University & English Heritage)
- ArcLand - Archaeolandscapes Europe EU Culture 2007 - 2013 (Institute of Archaeology, Iceland, with partners)
- An archaeology of movement, based on Icelandic material focusing on speed, rhythm, choreography and operational chains (University of Iceland, PhD)
- The island communities of Breiðafjörður, Iceland (Institute of Archaeology, Iceland)
- The landscape and seascape of Vatnsfjörður, north-west Iceland (Institute of Archaeology, Iceland)
- Reykholtskirkja, Iceland. Excavation, post-excavation and publication (Institute of Archaeology, Iceland, National Musuem of Iceland & Snorrastofa)
- Réttir (sheep folds) in the landscape: the anthropology and archaeology of landscapes in Iceland (University of Iceland)
My previous research projects (selection) are:
- Reykjavík Harbour front excavations phase 1 and 2 (Institute of Archaeology, Iceland)
- A System of medieval earthworks in north east Iceland (Institute of Archaeology, Iceland & Myvatn Research Station)
- Satellite mapping using DigitalGlobe data for Iceland (Institute of Archaeology, Iceland)
- ARENA (Archaeological Records of Europe: Networked Access) EU Culture 2000 (Institute of Archaeology, Iceland & Archaeological Data Service, University of York, with partners)
- Approaching diverse European dynamic pre-industrial landscapes in the volcanically active regions of Greece and Iceland (COST A27 Understanding pre-industrial structures in rural and mining landscapes) (Institute of Archaeology, Iceland, with partners)
- Höfðagerði, Núpar, Iceland: excavation of a Viking age smithy (Institute of Archaeology, Iceland)
- Historic Landscape Characterisation - National Review of Methodology (Somerset County Council & English Heritage)
- Historic Landscape Characterisation – Somerset and Exmoor National Park (Somerset County Council & English Heritage)
- Settlement and field: Medieval landscape of Wimpole Hall, Cambridgeshire (National Trust)
- Mapworks Editor, Livingmaps Review 2016 -
- Visiting Scholar at McDonald Institute for Archaeological Research, University of Cambridge (2014 - 2016)
- Vice-chair of the Aerial Archaeology Research Group (AARG) 2014 -
- Chair Aerial Archaeology Research Group (AARG) 2011-2014
- Member of GHEA (Global Human Ecodynamics Association)
- Management committee member for Iceland COST A27 Understanding pre-industrial structures in rural and mining landscapes (LANDMARKS) 2004 – 2008
- Member of Society for Archaeologists, Iceland (Félag fornleifafræðinga)
- Member of Medieval Settlement Research Group
- Director for landscape research, Vatnsfjörður project
As Chair of AARG between 2011-2014 I was responsible for workings of AARG, the scientific programme and the organisation of the international annual AARG conferences: 2012 at Eötvös Loránd University, Budapest, Hungary; 2013 in Amsterdam, Holland; 2014 in Dublin, Ireland.
My current and previous project portfolio includes several applications of archaeological research for the heritage management sector. These applications are used to give develop better management procedures and to facilitate more informed planning decisions, as well as to increase information about archaeological and related work for stakeholders and the general public.
ARA2098: Understanding Historic Landscapes: from the Early Middle Ages to the 21st Century
ARA3013: Early medieval Britain: Anglo-Saxons, Celts, Vikings
ARA1030: The Archaeology of Britain from the Romans to the 20th Century
ARA3001-ARA3002-ARA3003: Dissertation in Archaeology
ARA2098: Understanding Historic Landscapes: from the Early Middle Ages to the 21st Century
- Aldred O. Anticipatory Mappings: the lost poets of the Magnificent Seven. Livingmaps Review 2017, 3.
- Palsson G, Aldred O. En-Counter-Maps. Epoiesen 2017.
- Aldred O. The Map Is Not The Territory. Livingmaps Review 2017, 2.
- Aldred O. Where to Go from Here: Movement and Finding the Path in the Landscape. Landscapes 2017, 18(1), 88-92.
- Gisladottir GA, Gudmundsson G, Aldred O, Ævarsson U. Fornleifakönnun í Oddbjarnarskeri. Árbók Hins Íslenzka Fornleifafélags 2016, 49-76.
- Aldred O. I Wish I was where I was when I was wishing I was here: Mentalities and Materialities in Contemporary and Historical Iceland. Historical Archaeology 2015, 49(3).
- Aldred O. An Archaeology of Movement: A Methodological Study. Reykjavík, Iceland: University of Iceland, 2014.
- Aldred O. Archaeological Excavations Across the Serpentine Path, Rothley Lake, Wallington. Newcastle upon Tyne: Newcastle University, 2014. McCord Centre Reports 2014.5.
- Aldred O. Past Movements, Tomorrow's Anchors: On the Relational Entanglements Between Archaeological Mobilities. In: Leary, J, ed. Past Mobilities: Archaeological Approaches to Movement and Mobility. London, UK: Ashgate, 2014, pp.21-48.
- Bolender D, Aldred O. A restless medieval? Archaeologies and saga-steads in the Viking Age North Atlantic. postmedieval: a journal of medieval cultural studies 2013, 4(2), 136-149.
- Aldred O. Archaeological Survey on the Banks of Rothley Lake, Wallington: The serpentine path. Newcastle upon Tyne: Newcastle University, 2013. McCord Centre Reports 2013.1.
- Aldred O. Farmers, Sorting Folds, Earmarks and Sheep in Iceland. In: Beaudry, M., Parno, T, ed. Archaeologies of Mobility and Movement. Berlin; New York: Springer, 2013, pp.47-63.
- Sveinbjarnardóttir G, Aldred O. The excavation of the church at Reykholt, Borgafjörður, West Iceland 2002 - 2007. Reykjavík, Iceland: National Musuem of Iceland/Snorristofa, 2013. In Preparation.
- Aldred O. Chairman's Piece. The newsletter of the Aerial Archaeology Research Group (AARGnews) 2012, 45, 6-8.
- Aldred O. Mobile communities: the gathering and sorting of sheep in Skútustaðarhreppur, northeast Iceland. International Journal of Historical Archaeology 2012, 16(3), 488-508.
- Aldred O. Tilley, C. 'Interpreting landscapes. Geologies, topographies and identities. Explorations of landscape phenomenology 3', Walnut Creek: Left Coast Press, 2010 [Review]. Landscapes 2012, 12(2), 103-105.
- Einarsson Á, Aldred O. Chapter 20 The archaeological landscape of northeast Iceland: a ghost of a Viking Age society. In: Cowley, D, ed. Remote Sensing for Archaeological Heritage Management in the 21st century. Brussels: Archaeolingua, 2011, pp.243-258.
- Aldred O. Merki of magdalenukökur. Félagslegt minni og landsháttafornleifafræði [Madelines and markers: social memory and landscape archaeology]. In: Vésteinsson, O., Lucas, G., Þórsdóttir, K., Gylfadóttir, R.G, ed. Upp á yfrirborðið. Nýjar rannsóknir í íslenskri fornleifafræði. Reykjavík: Fornleifastofnun Íslands, 2011, pp.99-111.
- Aldred O, Sekedat B. Part 2. Observation. Moving on to Mobility: archaeological ambulations on the mobile world. Stanford, California: Stanford University, 2011. Available at: http://traumwerk.stanford.edu/archaeolog/2011/01/part_2_of_moving_on_to_mobilit.html.
- Sekedat B, Aldred O. Part 3. In-betweeness and chiasma. Moving on to Mobility: archaeological ambulations on the mobile world. Stanford, California: Stanford University, 2011. Available at: http://traumwerk.stanford.edu/archaeolog/2011/02/part_3_of_moving_on_to_mobilit.html.
- Aldred O, Sekedat B. Part 4. Fluid interdependence. Moving on to Mobility: archaeological ambulations on the mobile world. Stanford, California: Stanford University, 2011. Available at: http://traumwerk.stanford.edu/archaeolog/2011/05/part_4_of_moving_on_to_mobilit.html.
- Aldred O. Vandi þess og vegsemd að grafa upp fornleifar úr samtímanum [The difficulty and the glory in excavating archaeology from the recent past]. In: Vésteinsson, O., Lucas, G., Þórsdóttir, K., Gylfadóttir R.G, ed. Upp á yfrirborðið. Nýjar rannsóknir í íslenskri fornleifafræði. Reykjavík: Fornleifastofnun Íslands, 2011, pp.148.
- Aldred O, Hreíðarsdóttir EH, Sveinbjarnarsson OG. Aerial archaeology in Iceland: on the precipice. Archaeologia Islandica 2010, 8, 111-121.
- Aldred O. Bender, B., Hamilton, S. and Tilley, C. 'Stone worlds: narrative and reflexivity in landscape archaeology', Walnut Creek: Left Coast Press, 2007 [Review]. European Journal of Archaeology 2010, 13(2), 259-261.
- Aldred O, Lucas G. Events, temporalities and landscapes in Iceland. In: Bolender, D, ed. Eventful Archaeologies. New Approaches to Social Transformation in the Archaeological Record. New York: State University of New York Press, 2010, pp.189-198.
- Aldred O, Sekedat B. Part 1. Introduction and Co-presence. Moving on to Mobility: archaeological ambulations on the mobile world. Stanford, California: Stanford University, 2010. Available at: http://traumwerk.stanford.edu/archaeolog/2010/12/moving_on_to_mobility_archaeol.html.
- Aldred O. Ruberton, P. (ed.) 'Archaeologies of placemaking. Monuments, memories and engagement in Native North America', One World Archaeology Series 59, (Walnut Creek: Left Coast Press, 2008) [Review]. Stanford, California: Stanford University, 2010. Available at: http://traumwerk.stanford.edu/archaeolog/2010/03/a_review_of_archaeologies_of_p.html.
- Aldred O. Time for fluent landscapes. In: Benediktsson, K., Lund, K, ed. Conversations With Landscape. London: Ashgate, 2010, pp.59-78.
- Aldred O. Going along, remembering the way: an archaeology of movement in Iceland. Stanford, California: Metamedia Lab at Stanford, 2009. Available at: http://humanitieslab.stanford.edu/107/3376.
- Aldred O, Fridriksson A. Chapter 6 – Iceland Seeing over the trees: the protection of Iceland's landscape. In: Fairclough, G., Møller, P.G, ed. Landscape as Heritage (COST A27). Bern: University of Berne, Institute of Geography, 2008, pp.154-155.
- Aldred O. Unfamiliar landscapes: infields, outfields, boundaries and landscapes in Iceland. In: Chadwick, A, ed. Recent approaches to the archaeology of land allotment. Oxford, UK: Archaeopress, 2008, pp.299-321.
- Aldred O. Identifying and assessing landscape through historic landscape characterisation. In: Effects of Afforestation on Ecosystems, Landscape and Rural Development: Proceedings of the Affornord Conference. 2007, Reykholt, Iceland: Stationary Office Books.
- Aldred O. Landscapes of Iceland. In: Léveque, L., Ruiz del Árbol, M., Pop, L., Bartels, C, ed. Journeys through European landscapes [Voyages dans les Paysages Européens]. Spain: Fundación Las Médulas, COST, 2007, pp.184-188.
- McGovern TH, Vésteinsson O, Fridriksson A, Church M, Lawson I, Simpson IA, Einarsson Á, Dugmore A, Cook G, Perdikaris S, Edwards KJ, Thomson AM, Adderley WP, Newton A, Lucas G, Edvardsson R, Aldred O, Dunbar E. Landscapes of Settlement in northern Iceland: historical ecology of human impact and climate fluctuation on the millennial scale. American Anthropologist 2007, 109(1), 27-51.
- Aldred O. Réttir in the landscape. A study on the context of focal points. In: Dynamics of Northern Societies: Proceedings of the SILA/NABO Conference on Arctic and North Atlantic Archaeology. 2006, Copenhagen, Denmark: Aarhus Universitetsforlag.
- Aldred O. The idea of landscape in Icelandic archaeology. Archaeologia Islandica 2006, 5, 9-26.
- Aldred O. Out with old in with the new? Online presentation of excavation archives. York, UK: University of York, 2005. Available at: http://intarch.ac.uk/journal/issue18/aldred_index.html.
- Aldred O, Fairclough G. Historic Landscape Characterisation Taking Stock of the Method. Bristol, UK: Somerset County Council; English Heritage, 2003. The National HLC Review 2002.
- Aldred O. Somerset and Exmoor National Park Historic Landscape Characterisation Project Volumes 1 and 2. Taunton: Somerset County Council and English Heritage, 2001.