Our handbooks tell you about the School, Faculty and University rules that apply to your work and the facilities available to you. Please read them carefully and keep for future reference.
The handbooks set out important information about the nature of your subject area and your degree programme, about what we expect from you and what you may expect from us.
Careful reading now will save you much trouble later. If you cannot find the information you require, please contact either your Personal Tutor or the School Office.
Below are links to electronic copies of your degree programme handbooks
- BA Honours History (V100) Handbook 2016/2017 (PDF: 1,291KB)
- BA Honours Politics and History (VL12) Handbook 2016/2017 (PDF: 1,674KB)
- BA Honours Archaeology (V400) Handbook 2016/2017 (PDF: 1,324KB)
- BA Honours History and Archaeology (VV41) Handbook 2016/2017 (PDF: 1,444KB)
- BA Honours Ancient History and Archaeology (VV14) Handbook 2016/2017 (PDF: 1,350KB)
- BA Honours Classics and Ancient History (Q800, Q810, QQ83 and V110) Handbooks 2016/17 (PDF: 1,552KB) - includes BA Honours Classics (Q800), BA Honours Classical Studies (Q810), BA Honours Classical Studies and English (QQ83) and BA Honours Ancient History (V110)
- MA Classics and Ancient History Degree Programme Handbook 2016-2017 (PDF: 1,811KB)
- MAs in Archaeology Degree Programmes Handbook 2016-2017 (PDF: 1,024KB)
- MAs in History Degree Programme Handbook 2016-2017 (PDF: 1,036KB)
- Master of Letters (MLitt) History, Classics & Ancient History, Archaeology Degree Programme Handbook 2016-2017 (PDF: 863KB)
- MPhil and PhD History Classics and Ancient History Archaeology Degree Programme Handbook 2016-2017 (PDF: 624KB)
Suggested reading lists
If you would like to undertake preparatory reading you can view the suggested reading list for your degree programme below:
- BA Hons History (V100) reading list (PDF: 190KB)
- BA Hons Politics and History (VL12) (PDF: 499KB)
- BA Hons Classics (Q800), BA Hons Classical Studies (Q810), BA Hons Classical Studies and English (QQ83), BA Hons Ancient History (V110) (PDF: 303KB)
The handbooks contain a more comprehensive reading list specific to each lecture.
The Student-Staff Committee is made up of both staff and student representatives. Its aim is to improve communication between the two and discuss matters of mutual concern.
Any issues raised by the Student-Staff Committee are passed to the Board of Studies for more formal discussion.
Details of your degree and stage representative can be found below and on the notice board in the School of History, Classics and Archaeology reception area.
Please feel free to contact your representatives (PDF: 404KB) with any concerns or ideas. Click on the name of the representative to email them directly.
Student Members 2015/2016
Student-Staff Committee member nominations for Chair and Deputy Chair will take place during the first meeting of 2016/2017.
Find information about undergraduate and postgraduate submission deadlines, style guides for writing essays and instructions on how to use our plagiarism software.
You will, for the majority of your assessed work (see subject specific section of your degree programme handbook and/or individual module handbooks for important exceptions), be required to submit an electronic copy of your work to the plagiarism software known as Turnitin.
Once you have submitted your work to Turnitin, you will then need to submit a hard copy to the dropbox which is located on the first floor (Lobby area) of the Armstrong Building.
For details of how to submit to Turnitin through Blackboard see our Turnitin submission instructions. (PDF: 146KB)
For details of submission deadlines, see Assignment deadlines 2017 (PDF: 93KB)
This information is also available through Blackboard or from the notice board outside the first floor teaching rooms in the Armstrong Building.
Instructions on how to submit your work is detailed in your degree programme handbook.
You might also want to refer to the following documents to enhance your study and essay-writing skills:
History Style Guide 2017 (PDF: 214KB)
Using Secondary Literature and Other Sources (PDF: 107KB)
A Guide to Essay Writing (PDF: 62KB)