Curie IEF Research Fellow at Newcastle University on a two-year research
project on transnational history of Middle Ages, exploring historic
landscape evolution in the North East England (Durham and
Northumberland) and the Southern Lazio and Campania (Italy) before
and after the Norman Conquest.
research is rigorous, personal, interdisciplinary and innovative in
method and content. I bring together sources from historical archive,
landscape issues, archaeological approaches, linguistic evidence,
anthropological themes, hagiography and literature to investigate
transnational history in Western Europe from 11th
century. In my research I explore major themes in Medieval history
such as national-regional-local identities; Norman diaspora; sanctity
and landscape; perceptions of landscape in the Middle Ages, ethnic
and religious conflicts; cultural identities in landscape
transformations; civic and ecclesiastical territorial powers; borders
- 2008: “Dottorato di ricerca” (Ph.D.) in Medieval Archaeology, 3 years, University of L’Aquila (IT).
- 2004: “Diploma di specializzazione” (MA) in Classical Archaeology, 3 years, La Sapienza – University of Rome, 1st School of Archaeology - Rome.
- 2003: “Diploma” in “Archival Studies, Palaeography and Diplomatics”, State Archive of Rome (S. Ivo alla Sapienza).
- 2001: Post graduate course in “Economics and Management of Cultural Heritage”, Faculty of Economics; University of Rome - Tor Vergata
- 2000: Pontifical post graduate course in Christian Archaeology, 3 years, Pontifical Institute of Christian Archaeology (PIAC), Vatican City/Rome: Licenza in Christian Archaeology (1999); Baccalaureato in Christian Archaeology (1998).
- 1999: Post graduate course in “History of the 20th Century”, 2 years, University of Rome – Tor Vergata/BAICR.
- 1998: Post graduate course in “Analysis and Management Policies of Archaeological and Architectural Heritage of the Territory”, University of Rome - Tor Vergata;
- 1997: Masters Degree in Letters (Bachelor (Honours) of Humanities), Faculty of Arts and Humanities (Philosophy). La Sapienza – University of Rome.
Grants and Awards:
- 2012-2014. N-LINK project. FP7 - PEOPLE. Marie-Curie Action: "Intra-European fellowships for career development".
- 2009: Funded Project, “Le Storie della terra”, Archaeological Civic Museum of Castro dei Volsci (FR - Italy).
- 2004-2007: Full scholarship, PhD University of L'Aquila (Italy).
- Full-conference scholarships.
- 28 - 31 July 2009, VI Encuentros Internacionales del Medievo 2009, "Construir la ciudad en la Edad Media”, Nájera, La Rioja, Spain.
- 10 - 12 October 2008, IV Workshop "Città comunali e città del Regno. Confronti e comparazioni (secoli XII-XV)", Centro di Studi sulla Civiltà comunale, Pescia (Pistoia) – University of Florence (Italy).
- 10 - 13 July 2008, Civis civitas, Centro Interdipartimentale di
Studi sui Beni Librari e Archivistici (CISLAB), Faculty of Arts and
Humanities (Philosophy) in Arezzo/Siena University, Montepulciano (Si).
- 2012-2014: Marie Curie IEF Fellow, Newcastle University
- 2011: Visiting lecturer, Newcastle University (UK).
- 2007–2010: Middle and High Schools. Teacher of Italian, History and Latin (Rome and Provincia di Roma).
- 2009: Project supervisor: “Le Storie della terra”, Archaeological Civic Museum of Castro dei Volsci (FR - Italy).
- 2007-2008: Scientific Director, Archaeological Civic Museum of Castro dei Volsci (FR - Italy).
- 2004-2007: Ph.D. researcher, University of L'Aquila (Italy).
- 2001-2002. BAICR, Istituto Sturzo, Rm – University of Rome - Tor Vergata. Learning consultant.
- 1998 - 2001. Coop. LATERS srl, external field archaeologist for Soprintendenza Speciale per i Beni Archeologici di Roma, Soprintendenza per i Beni Archeologici del Lazio and Sovrintendenza Comunale ai Beni Archeologici, Roma.
- Archives and documents: interdisciplinary studies in history and archaeology.
- Landscape History;
- Roman and medieval towns in Central Italy, history and archaeology;
- Monasteries and castles in the Middle Ages, history and archaeology;
- Ancient and medieval architecture;
- Christian/medieval epigraphy;
- Active research projects:
1. UK: Marie-Curie Action: "Intra-European fellowships for career development", IEF. Seventh Framework Programme. Normannitas: Landscape, Identity and Norman Kingdoms. Project Acronym: N-LINK. Newcastle University - School of History, Classics and Archaeology. Individual research grant.
2. The Pofi Project: Ceramics and small finds from a medieval castrum in Central Italy, directed by Italo Biddittu. With Rosangela De Acutis.
3. Raffaele Garrucci e l'epigrafia cristiana. Pontifical Institute of Christian Archaeology (Rome - Vatican City). Supervisor: Prof. Danilo Mazzoleni.
current project is: The Lands on the Rivers. Perception and Legacy of
Medieval Benedictine landscapes (11th - 13th century). N-LINK
Research Group (Rome - Italy).
- Recent research projects (selection):
- Italy: "Le Storie della Terra". Comune di Castro dei Volsci and Provincia di Frosinone. Scientific Director of the Civic Archaeological Museum and project supervisor.
- Italy. Research and technical support for the Museum catalogue publication project: see Pascucci P. and Fenelli, M (eds). Il Museo Civico Archaeologico di Castro dei Volsci. Rome. 2009.
- Italy: The Castles of Lazio Meridionale. Settlements dynamics, fortified structures and seigniorial power between the Melfa and Liri Rivers (9th - 13th centuries). University of L'Aquila, PhD.
- Italy: Carta Archeologica Medievale. Forma Italiae Medii Aevi. Supervisor: Stella Patitucci Uggeri. University of Cassino.
- Italy: "Santità e territorio". Indipendent research project for "San Germano. Collana di storia e cultura religiosa medievale", University of Cassino, Director Filippo Carcione.
- EAA - European Association of Archaeologists, since 2014, http://e-a-a.org/
- Castle Studies Group, since 2014. http://www.castlestudiesgroup.org.uk/
- SANT - Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle upon Tyne, since 2013, http://www.newcastle-antiquaries.org.uk/
- MSRG - Medieval Settlement Research Group, since 2011, http://medieval-settlement.com/
- CBA - Council for the British Archaeology, since 2011, http://www.britarch.ac.uk/
- ISALM - Istituto di Storia e di Arte del Lazio Meridionale, since 2009, http://www.isalm.it/
- SAMI - Societa' degli Archeologi Medievisti Italiani, since 2006, http://archeologiamedievale.unisi.it/sami/soci/sabrina-pietrobono;
Project Leader(s): Sabrina Pietrobono, Sam Turner