Everything you need to know about who we are and what we offer is available in our two handbooks. One of the handbooks is organised into modules and the other based on a system of acquiring ‘training hours’, and each are designed to meet the requirements of the research training requirements of the UK Research Councils, the ESRC and the AHRC.
- Stage 1 Social Science PhD researchers (including those on 3.5 ESRC studentships)
- Stage 1 and 2 IPhD and Professional Doctorate researchers
- Postgraduate students taking ESRC-recognised Research Masters Programmes
- Postgraduate students taking the Postgraduate Certificate in Research Training
Hours-based Handbook: 2017-2018 for:
- Arts and Humanities PhD and MPhil researchers (not taking the Postgraduate Certificate in Research Training)
- Stage 1 Social Science PhD researchers on +3 ESRC studentships
- Stage 2 and 3 Social Science PhD researchers
- Stage 3 and 4 IPhD and Professional Doctorate researchers
The Hours schedule for part-time PhD researchers, January starters and MLitt researchers.
Every PhD student in the Faculty has the option of registering for a Postgraduate Certificate in Research Training, free of charge, which accredits the core foundation modules on the Training Programme.
Read what PhD students say about the research training programme:
Julija Dzenkovska (Social Scientist)
Daisy Gibbs (Arts and Humanities)