HSS Banner

International Students

The Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences welcomes international students. Studying in our Faculty will offer you a first class education and provide you with a tremendous amount of choice in both taught and research-based postgraduate programmes.

The University's international student pages provide information about fees and scholarships, language requirements, accommodation and the support we offer.

Frequently asked questions by international students:

  1. What types of postgraduate degrees are there?

Traditionally postgraduate degrees have been divided into taught and research programmes. In the past few years, however, this division has become less rigid as many courses have been redesigned to contain both taught and research elements.

Masters' Degrees

Masters' degrees usually last one year full-time or two years part-time. The most common entry requirement is a good quality Bachelor degree. A masters' course can consist of both taught and research elements. The overall balance of course versus project or research work varies considerably between courses and schools. This may be reflected in the title of the degree.

Most masters' degrees are designated either as Master of Arts (MA) or Master of Science (MSc), depending on the subject. However, there are also specialized degree titles such as Master of Education (MEd) and Master of Letters (MLitt). Master of Business Administration (MBA) and Master of Law (LLM) are more specialized professional masters' degrees in business and law.

A Master of Philosopy (MPhil) is an extended higher level masters' degree usually lasting two to three years full-time. These are mainly research degrees and many institutions allow successful MPhil students to convert directly on to the second year of a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) course after their first year.

A Master of Research (MRes) is a relatively new taught qualification. It aims to give the student an in-depth education in research methodology directly applicable to the needs of industry. The programme consists of lectures, seminars and practical work, and aims to develop communication, information and management skills.

The following is a list of titles of masters' degrees:

  • Master of Arts: MA
  • Master of Science: MSc
  • Master of Social Science: MSocSC
  • Master of Business Administration: MBA
  • Master of Law: LLM
  • Master of Education: MEd
  • Master of Letters: MLitt
  • Master of Theology: MTh
  • Master of Music: MMus
  • Master of Philosophy: MPhil
  • Master of Research: MRes
  • Bachelor of Philosophy: BPhil
  • Bachelor of Letters: BLitt

Most doctorates take two to four years of full-time independent study and research. They involve the preparation of a dissertation, which must provide proof of original research and make a definite contribution to knowledge. The entry requirement is usually a good quality masters' degree or a very good bachelor degree. In many cases, high-calibre postgraduates can transfer from a masters' course directly onto the second year of a doctorate course.

The most common doctorate is the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD or DPhil).

Doctorates can be of the following titles:

  • Doctor of Philosophy: PhD or DPhil
  • Doctor of Laws: LLD
  • Doctor of Science: DSc
  • Doctor of Letters: DLitt

  1. Where can I get further information?

The below links provide useful information for international students: