Main Expertise is in liver disease related to alcohol excess, metabolic syndrome (Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, NAFLD) and drug induced liver injury (DILI). Broad areas of interest within these fields include natural history studies, diagnosis including biomarkers, pathogenesis focusing on the role of the immune response and genetic susceptibility.
Current projects include:
1. The role of the innate and adaptive immune response in the pathogenesis of alcoholic liver disease.
2. Genetic susceptibility to alcoholic liver disease and NAFLD.
3. The role of mitochondria in ALD and NAFLD pathogenesis.
4. Pathogenesis and significance of fatigue in non alcoholic fatty liver disease.
5. The role of NAFLD in cardiovascular morbidity/mortality
6. The role of ageing in susceptibility to liver fibrosis.
This research is funded by the European Commission Framework 7 Programme.