Dr Joy Allen
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Personal Website: http://joyallen.wikidot.com/
- Address: NIHR Diagnostic Evidence Co-operative Newcastle
2nd Floor William Leech Building (Rm M2.061)
Institute of Cellular Medicine Newcastle University
Framlington Place Newcastle Upon Tyne
BackgroundI am a postdoctoral researcher in the NIHR Diagnostic Evidence Co-operative (DEC) Newcastle. I joined the group in October 2014 following a PhD and three year postdoctoral position focused on mathematical modelling of quantum turbulence in Ultracold Bose gases. Needless to say the move to diagnostic test evaluation research was a huge change of discipline, but one that posed an exciting challenge in a quickly evolving, innovative area!
I apply my analytic skills to the design and analysis of a large number of the DEC's test evaluation projects. The NIHR DECs are in a unique position of the interface between industry and academia, thus fortunate enough to have practical and hands-on experience in applying these methodologies to real-life case studies. This means we can identify the challenges faced in their application, gaps in the methodological literature and areas where new, creative thinking is required.
One such area of interest of mine is application of methodologies to overcome an imperfect reference standard when determining the diagnostic accuracy of a new test. Traditionally the diagnostic accuracy of a new test is obtained through comparison with the reference standard, an assumption that relies on the reference standard to be 100% accurate which is rarely the case. Many methods have been proposed to correct for an imperfect reference standard, however all of these approaches introduce bias and can increase the complexity of the evaluation. I currently lead the DECs research into the further development of existing methodologies and to quantify the direction and magnitude of the bias and to understand whether the additional benefit in the estimates gained warrants the added complexity.
I also work closely alongside the Health economics group with the Institute of Health and Society in Newcastle and hold quarterly journal clubs where medical physicists, microbiologists, clinical scientists, health economists and statisticians meet to share knowledge and exchange ideas and discuss collaboration potential.
- Msci, Applied Mathematics, The Queen's University Belfast (2008).
- PhD, "Non-Equilibrium and Finite Temperature Trapped Bose Gases: Interactions and Decay of Macroscopic Excitations", Newcastle University, (2012).
I lead the Diagnostic Evidence Co-operative journal club and academic group
- Joint Quantum Centre, Durham-Newcastle
- Newcastle Quantum Fluids
Diagnostic Test Evaluation Methodology
Early economic modelling for IVD evaluation
Efficiency in Clinical Study Design
Teaching test evaluation methodology
- Allen AJ, Parker NG, Proukakis NP, Barenghi CF. Quantum Turbulence in atomic Bose-Einstein condensates. In: Quantized Flux in Tightly Knotted and Linked Systems. 2013, Cambridge, Isaac Newton Institute: IoP. Submitted.
- Allen AJ, Zaremba E, Barenghi CF, Proukakis NP. Observable vortex properties in finite-temperature Bose gases. Physical Review A 2013, 87(1), 013630.
- Allen AJ, Barenghi CF, Proukakis NP, Zaremba E. A Dynamical Self-Consistent Finite Temperature Kinetic Theory: The ZNG Scheme. In: Proukakis, N.P., Gardiner, S.A., Davis, M.J., Szymanska, M.H, ed. Quantum Gases: Finite Temperature and Non-Equilibrium Dynamics. London: Imperial College Press, 2013, pp.93-105.
- Parker NG, Allen AJ, Barenghi CF, Proukakis NP. Coherent cross talk and parametric driving of matter-wave vortices. Physical Review A 2012, 86(1), 013631.
- Allen AJ, Jackson DP, Barenghi CF, Proukakis NP. Long-range sound-mediated dark-soliton interactions in trapped atomic condensates. Physical Review A 2011, 83(1), 013613.
- Allen AJ, Parker NG, Proukakis NP, Barenghi CF. Isotropic vortex tangles in trapped atomic Bose-Einstein condensates via laser stirring. Physical Review A 2014, 89, 025602.
- Allen AJ, Zuccher S, Caliari M, Proukakis NP, Parker NG, Barenghi CF. Vortex reconnections in atomic condensates at finite temperature. Physical Review A 2014, 90, 013601.
- Allen AJ, Zuccher S, Caliari M, Proukakis NP, Parker NG, Barenghi CF. Vortex reconnections in atomic condensates at finite temperature. Physical Review A 2014, 90(1), 013601.
- Stagg GW, Allen AJ, Barenghi CF, Parker NG. Classical-like wakes past elliptical obstacles in atomic Bose-Einstein condensates. Journal of Physics: Conference Series 2015, 594, 012044.
- Stagg GS, Allen AJ, Parker NG, Barenghi CF. Generation and decay of two-dimensional quantum turbulence in a trapped Bose-Einstein condensate. Physical Review A 2015, 91, 013612.
- Davis S, Allen J, O'Leary R, Power M, Price DA, Simpson AJ, Tunbridge A, Vale L, Whiteside M, Evans C, Raza M. Clinical performance and economic evaluations of the Alere™ i Influenza A&B near patient test using throat swabs: a cohort diagnostic accuracy study and cost analysis. Journal of Hospital Infection 2017, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Parker N, Allen AJ, Barenghi C, Proukakis NP. Quantum Turbulence in Atomic Bose-Einstein Condensates. In: Universal Themes of Bose-Einstein Condensation. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2017, pp.348-370.
- Ciddim A, Allen AJ, White A, Bagnato VS, Barenghi C. Vinen turbulence via the decay of multicharged vortices in trapped atomic Bose-Einstein condensates. Physical Review A 2017, 96(2), 023617.
- Rooney SJ, Allen AJ, Zulicke U, Proukakis NP, Bradley AS. Reservoir interactions of a vortex in a trapped three-dimensional Bose-Einstein condensate. Physical Review A 2016, 93(6).
- Telles GD, Tavaras PES, Fritsch AR, Cidrim A, Bagnato VS, White AC, Allen AJ, Barenghi CF. Twisted unwinding of multi-charged quantum vortex and generation of turbulence in atomic Bose-Einstein condensates. 2016. Submitted.
- Markle J, Allen AJ, Federsel P, Jetter B, Gunther A, Fortagh J, Proukakis NP, Judd TE. Evaporative cooling of cold atoms at surfaces. Physical Review A 2014, 90(2), 023614.
- Allen AJ, Parker NG, Proukakis NP, Barenghi CF. Quantum turbulence in atomic Bose-Einstein condensates. In: Journal of Physics: Conference Series. 2014, Institute of Physics Publishing.