Dr Rachel Crossland
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 0191 282 0451
2011: PhD Molecular Biology of Cancer, Newcastle University
2006: BSc Biomedical Sciences, Newcastle University (First class)
NanoString RNA:Protein competition awardee. May 2016.
EMEA Affymetrix Tumour Profiling competition awardee. April 2016.
British Council Researcher Links Scholarship - Extracellular Vesicles Workshop, Russia. Feb 2015.
Life Technologies Ion Torrent™ Transcriptome Profiling competition awardee. Jan 2015.
NanoString PanCancer Panel Driver Genes and Cancer Pathways competition awardee. April 2014.
NEPAC Travel Scholarship - American Society of Haematology 56th Annual Meeting. Dec 2014.
BACR non-student Travel Award - 12th International Conference on Malignant Lymphomas. June 2013.
First Poster Prize, Euroscicon Meeting - Biomarker Discovery: Driving Technologies. Feb 2013.
BSH Travel Scholarship - ESH International Conference on Lymphomas. Oct 2012.
ESH Scholarship - ESH International Conference on Lymphomas. Oct 2012.
Newcastle University Graduate School Award - North East Postgraduate Conference 2009.
ESH Scholarship - Biomarkers and Prognosis in Malignant Lymphoma ESH-EHA Scientific Workshop. Apr 2008.
Reviewer for the Newcastle Academic Health Partners Bioresource
Committee member of RealICM (Researchers Altogether ICM), Newcastle University
Topic Editor Frontiers Special Edition: Cell to Cell Communication by Extracellular Vesicles
British Association for Cancer Research
European Association for Cancer Research
British Society for Haematology
UK Extracellular Vesicle Network
I am interested in the role of microRNAs as biomarkers and drivers in haematological malignancies and their complications, including graft versus host disease (GvHD).
I currently focus on aggressive B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma (B-NHL), specifically sporadic Burkitt lymphoma and diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. I am interested in further understanding the biology of relapse in lymphoma, in order to improve the outcome of relapsed/refractory disease. This approach involves comprehensive genomic profiling, including copy number analysis (CytoScan/OncoScan), targeted sequencing (HaloPlex), digital profiling of gene expression (NanoString) and transcriptome sequencing (AmpliSeq) in relation to disease biology and outcome. Further studies aim to address whether microRNAs may be useful biological indicators for disease outcome in B-NHL, particularly when assessed from clinically translational FFPE material.
I am also interested in the expression and function of microRNAs and their targets in GvHD, a complication of bone marrow transplants in which T cells in the donor bone marrow graft go on the offensive and attack the host's tissues. I am currently investigating if circulating microRNAs within the body fluids of GvHD patients (including microRNAs packaged within extracellular vesicles) are involved in disease patho-physiology and if so, whether they can be used to predict the incidence and severity of disease.
BSc: 4 undergraduate students between 2008-2015
MRes: 4 masters students between 2009-2015
PhD: Co-supervised 2 PhD students between 2013-2015
Clinical: 4th year elective medical student project
Teaching course components as part of the Celleurope Initial Training Network: Immunohistochemistry Workshop and Molecular Biology Workshop.
Mentor to secondment Fellows from the Marie Curie Celleurope Initial Training Network: http://www.celleurope.eu/
- Juric MK, Shevtsov M, Mozes P, Ogonek J, Crossland RE, Dickinson AM, Greinix HT, Holler E, Weissinger EM, Multhoff G. B-Cell-Based and Soluble Biomarkers in Body Liquids for Predicting Acute/Chronic Graft-versus-Host Disease after Allogeneic Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation. Frontiers in Immunology 2017, 7, 660.
- Crossland RE, Norden J, Juric MK, Green K, Pearce KF, Lendrem C, Greinix HT, Dickinson AM. Expression of Serum microRNAs is Altered During Acute Graft-versus-Host Disease. Frontiers in Immunology 2017, 8, 308.
- Gam R, Shah P, Crossland RE, Norden J, Dickinson AM, Dressel R. Genetic Association of Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation Outcome beyond Histocompatibility Genes. Frontiers in Immunology 2017, 8, 380.
- Noble RA, Bell N, Blair H, Sikka A, Thomas H, Phillips N, Nakjang S, Miwa S, Crossland R, Rand V, Televantou D, Long A, Keun HC, Bacon CM, Bomken S, Critchlow SE, Wedge SR. Inhibition of monocarboxyate transporter 1 by AZD3965 as a novel therapeutic approach for diffuse large B-cell lymphoma and burkitt lymphoma. Haematologica 2017, 102(7), 1247-1257.
- Crossland RE, Norden J, Juric MK, Pearce KF, Lendrem C, Bibby LA, Collin M, Greinix HT, Dickinson AM. Serum and Extracellular Vesicle MicroRNAs miR-423, miR-199, and miR-93* As Biomarkers for Acute Graft-versus-Host Disease. Frontiers in Immunology 2017, 8, 1446.
- Crossland RE, Norden J, Bibby LA, Davis J, Dickinson AM. Evaluation of optimal extracellular vesicle small RNA isolation and qRT-PCR normalisation for serum and urine. Journal of Immunological Methods 2016, 429, 39-49.
- Jalapothu D, Boieri M, Crossland RE, Shah P, Butt IA, Norden J, Dressel R, Dickinson AM, Inngjerdingen M. Tissue-specific expression Patterns of Microrna during acute graft-versus-host Disease in the rat. Frontiers in Immunology 2016, 7, 361.
- Atarod S, Pearce K, Norden J, Lendrem C, Crossland R, Wang XN, Sviland L, Janin A, Collin M, Dickinson A. Differential microRNA expressions in cutaneous acute graft-versus-host disease. In: 41st Annual Meeting of the European Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation. 2015, Istanbul, Turkey: Nature Publishing Group.
- Crossland RE, Green K, Bacon C, Rand V. Direct digital profiling of multiplexed mRNA expression from degraded formalin fixed paraffin embedded aggressive paediatric B-cell lymphoma tumour tissue. In: Fifth International Symposium on Childhood, Adolescent and Young Adult Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma. 2015, Varese, Italy: Wiley.
- Zhou P, Crossland R, Erhorn A, Rand V. High-resolution copy number analysis using low input, degraded DNA from fine-needle aspirates and macrodissected archival Burkitt lymphoma material. In: Fifth International Symposium on Childhood Adolescent and Young Adult Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma. 2015, Varese, Italy: British Journal of Haematology.
- Gam R, Norden J, Crossland R, Pearce K, Dickinson AM, Univ Newcastle Upon Tyne. IRAK1 and miR-146a for predicting the outcome of allogeneic haematopoietic stem cell transplantation. In: 41st Annual Meeting of the European Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation. 2015, Istanbul, Turkey: Nature Publishing Group.
- Gam R, Norden J, Crossland R, Pearce K, Holler E, Dressel R, Dickinson AM, Framework CellEurope Project, Professor Anne Dickinson Univ Newc. MICA genotype, serum and expression level effects on the outcome of HSCT. In: 41st Annual Meeting of the European Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation. 2015, Istanbul, Turkey: Nature Publishing Group.
- Carey CD, Gusenleitner D, Chapuy B, Kovach AE, Kluk MJ, Sun HH, Crossland RE, Bacon CM, Rand V, Dal Cin P, Le LP, Neuberg D, Sohani AR, Shipp MA, Monti S, Rodig SJ. Molecular Classification of MYC-Driven B-Cell Lymphomas by Targeted Gene Expression Profiling of Fixed Biopsy Specimens. Journal of Molecular Diagnostics 2015, 17(1), 19-30.
- Crossland RE, Norden J, Bibby L, Collin M, Dickinson A. Serum MicroRNAs MiR-146a, MiR-199, MiR-93*and MiR-423 as Biomarkers for Graft Versus Host Disease. In: 41st Annual Meeting of the European Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation. 2015, Istanbul, Turkey: Nature Publishing Group.
- Crossland RE, Norden J, Collin M, Dickinson A. Urinary MicroRNA Expression is Associated with Incidence and Severity of Graft Versus Host Disease. In: 41st Annual Meeting of the European Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation. 2015, Istanbul, Turkey: Nature Publishing Group.
- Crossland RE, Mainou-Fowler T, Sieniawski M, Bacon C, Rand V. High BACH2 gene Expression Is an Indicator of Poor Prognosis in Adult Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma Treated with R-CHOP. In: 56th ASH Annual Meeting and Exposition. 2014, San Francisco, CA: American Society of Hematology.
- Rand V, Johnstone S, Crossland RE, Wilkinson S, Hall AG. The Genomic Landscape of Relapsed B-Cell Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia (B-ALL) in Adolescents and Adults. In: 56th ASH Annual Meeting and Exposition. 2014, San Francisco, CA: American Society of Hematology.
- Crossland RE, Norden J, Collin M, Dickinson AM. Urinary Micrornas MiR-377, MiR-423, MiR-93 and MiR-199 As Biomarkers for Graft Versus Host Disease. In: 56th ASH Annual Meeting and Exposition. 2014, San Francisco, CA, USA: American Society of Hematology.
- Crossland RE, Norden J, Bibby L, Davis J, Dickinson AM. Validation of Isolation Methodology and Endogenous Control Selection for qRT-PCR Assessment of Microrna Expression in Serum and Urine Exosomes. In: 56th ASH Annual Meeting and Exposition. 2014, San Francisco, CA, USA: American Society of Hematology.
- Culpin RE, Sieniawski M, Proctor SJ, Menon G, Mainou-Fowler T. MicroRNAs are suitable for assessment as biomarkers from formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded tissue, and miR-24 represents an appropriate reference microRNA for diffuse large B-cell lymphoma studies. Journal of Clinical Pathology 2013, 66(3), 249-252.
- Culpin RE, Sieniawski M, Angus B, Menon GK, Proctor SJ, Milne P, McCabe K, Mainou-Fowler T. Prognostic significance of immunohistochemistry-based markers and algorithms in immunochemotherapy-treated diffuse large B-cell lymphoma patients. Histopathology 2013, 63(6), 788-801.
- Mazumdar R, Evans P, Culpin R, Bailey J, Allsup D. The automated monocyte count is independently predictive of overall survival from diagnosis in chronic lymphocytic leukemia and of survival following first-line chemotherapy. Leukemia Research 2013, 37(6), 614-618.
- Culpin R, Sieniawski M, Anderson J, Angus B, Proctor S, Menon G, McCabe K, Milne P, Crosier S, Mainou-Fowler T. Mature microRNAs of the miR-17-92 cluster predict for disease outcome in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma (DLBCL) patients treated with CHOP-R immunochemotherapy. In: International Journal of Molecular Medicine. 2011, Spandidos Publications.
- Culpin R, Pearce K, Bailey J, Pointon J, Sunter N, Bailey J, Evans P, Allsup D, Allan J, Mainou-Fowler T. MicroRNAs in B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (B-CLL): mature microRNAs of the miR-17-92 cluster predict for treatment free survival (TFS) in patients with B-CLL. In: International Journal of Molecular Medicine. 2011, Spandidos Publications.
- Culpin RE, Proctor SJ, Angus B, Crosier S, Anderson JJ, Mainou-Fowler T. A 9 series microRNA signature differentiates between germinal centre and activated B-cell-like diffuse large B-cell lymphoma cell lines. International Journal of Oncology 2010, 37(2), 367-376.
- Anderson JJ, Fordham S, Overman L, Dignum H, Wood K, Proctor SJ, Crosier S, Angus B, Culpin RE, Mainou-Fowler T. Immunophenotyping of diffuse large B-cell lymphoma (DLBCL) defines multiple sub-groups of germinal centre-like tumours displaying different survival characteristics. International Journal of Oncology 2009, 35(5), 961-971.